GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Quite the opposite. Marner is still great defensively away from Matthews, and Nylander doesn't suddenly turn into a great 2 way player with Matthews. In fact, the referenced year was one of Nylander's worst defensively. +/- is worthless, and not a defensive stat. Ironically, it being higher had more to do with the inflated outlier 5v5 OISH% he had that year.
i was being sarcastic to the ppl who use that stat to support marner and to discredit willie

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Berube should create three scoring lines + one utility. Rotate top nine wingers around Matthews/Marner/Nylander playing up the middle.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Marner Tavares
Holmberg Nylander Jarnkrok
Pacioretty Lorentz/Kampf Dewer/Reaves

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Assuming Nylander ends up back on the wing, this is what I would like to see:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
McMann/Pacioretty-Kampf/Lorentz-Dewar/Reaves

Going into camp, I thought we might be thin up front, but when you factor in Cowan, Grebenkin and Minten (when he recovers), we have quite of bit of depth. If Pacioretty is penciled into the lineup already, I'm not sure there will be room for McMann and Robertson.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not a fan of the Domi-Nylander pairing or the Matthews-Marner pairing.

I hope they try Nylander-Marner and bring back the Matthews-Domi pairing.
34 & 16 are fans of the Matthews-Marner pairing. That's what matters

Reactions: arso40

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There is no scenario where Reaves should be on the NHL roster with the forwards we have.

Pacioretty is a question mark right now, but I think at his worst he is more useful than Reaves.

Reaves is somewhere in between 15th to 20th on the depth chart if they go by playing ability.
Yeah yeah we heard you the first 30 times :deadhorse

• Haha
Reactions: andora and Jmo89

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Hopefully the coach challenges them to win the division. I think it's very important actually. So sick of the 2vs3 matchup. Finish on top and get a wildcard team instead in round 1.
This is really key. Everyone has said we’ve failed in the playoffs, but we’ve also never won our division. How can we expect to make it out of our division if we can’t even win it.

I suspect there will be adjustments to a new system and style early on, but this should be the regular season goal. We’ve been in the strongest nhl division (my opinion) for a long time, winning it would be huge for our confidence going into the playoffs.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully the coach challenges them to win the division. I think it's very important actually. So sick of the 2vs3 matchup. Finish on top and get a wildcard team instead in round 1.

This is really key. Everyone has said we’ve failed in the playoffs, but we’ve also never won our division. How can we expect to make it out of our division if we can’t even win it.

I suspect there will be adjustments to a new system and style early on, but this should be the regular season goal. We’ve been in the strongest nhl division (my opinion) for a long time, winning it would be huge for our confidence going into the playoffs.
The incredibly frustrating thing is: this team probably could have won the division at least 1 of the past few seasons if they simply didn't take those nights off against so many clearly inferior teams. Also many occasions where they hung the goalie out to dry.

Reactions: horner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
34 & 16 are fans of the Matthews-Marner pairing. That's what matters
This might have been true in 2019, but we dont know if this is true anymore. Id argue that Matthews seems more and more interested in separating himself from Marner. If he thought he and Marner had incredible chemistey, he wouldnt have selected Nylander and Reilly before him at the All Star game, especially with 1 million reward on the line.

Matthews might be fine with playing with Marner, however, he produced 2x more points with Domi on his wing than Marner. 2x...is ALOT. We dont know if hes a "fan" of it. That is just you speculating...id argue the opposite.

Reactions: freshwind

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think Grebenkin is good enough to be in the NHL and will be this season, but starts with the Marlies due to being waiver eligible. I think they give the established guys a run of 10-15 games and change it up from there

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
This might have been true in 2019, but we dont know if this is true anymore. Id argue that Matthews seems more and more interested in separating himself from Marner. If he thought he and Marner had incredible chemistey, he wouldnt have selected Nylander and Reilly before him at the All Star game, especially with 1 million reward on the line.

Matthews might be fine with playing with Marner, however, he produced 2x more points with Domi on his wing than Marner. 2x...is ALOT. We dont know if hes a "fan" of it. That is just you speculating...id argue the opposite.
I believe Matthews would be better on a heavier line of Knies and McMann. But I know I'm in the minority here.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Quite the opposite. Marner is still great defensively away from Matthews, and Nylander doesn't suddenly turn into a great 2 way player with Matthews. In fact, the referenced year was one of Nylander's worst defensively. +/- is worthless, and not a defensive stat. Ironically, it being higher had more to do with the inflated outlier 5v5 OISH% he had that year.
Pretty similar stats in 2023-2023 accordinf to naturalstattrick

2022-2023
Nylander with Matthews 5v5
504 mins 4.52 g/60, 1.66 ga/60

Marner with Matthews 5v5
539 mins 3.67 g/60, 2.22 ga/60

Reactions: notDatsyuk

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Greb can drop em!

He is a strong kid.

Noticed against the Habs, things would happen at the net and none of them could overpower him in the scrums after.

I think he might do well to model himself after a guy like Nichushkin, minus off-ice issues. Just an absolute horse near the net.

Reactions: Anthrax442

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews singling out Rafai as turning heads in camp was quite interesting and good to hear. He acquitted himself well last year, but I never saw him as a solution back there.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad