GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
1-They are no easy matchup in playoff

2- year for sure the best goalie of last devade who was looking untouchable is because of coaching... The difference between their 3 stanley cup run and last 3 year is tampa was most betrer to clear the front of the net and protecting vasilevskiy. An elite goalie when he saw the puck are pretty hard to beat but when they don't see the puck, it will be hard for every goalie

coaching staff apend hour to watch video to figure every weakness of every opponent especially in playoff qnd you think than lrafs miracoulously find Vasilevsky weakness and nobody else before never saw nothing? funny you living in a unicorn world
We had easy matchups because Covid made it like that and put us in a new division where we got to play a team that wouldn't of been a playoff team with the normal divisions.

Tampa Bays former assistant coach during those cup teams even said that his weakness was tracking pucks and it got exposed so they tried to help him out by not letting other teams do point shots through traffic. Watch the intermissions with the former coaches and you'll hear it from their own mouths. It's not something I just made up just to back my argument. What separates elite goalies from the average ones are they can still track pucks through traffic. Obviously they won't be perfect and still get beat but every goalie has a weakness and that is Vasilevskys.

Since you don't want to believe it. Gonna call him a liar?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah but you’re speaking to a popularity contest, not strict roster and blueline building, and that’s the heart of the problem…
I'm talking about quality of play and value, but it's okay if you dont grasp that. I'm not locked into any specific player, but he's been one of the few positives for a number of years

MOD

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm talking about quality of play and value, but it's okay if you dont grasp that. I'm not locked into any specific player, but he's been one of the few positives for a number of years

MOD

I can’t imagine Rielly getting to the Florida-New York series or the Edmonton-Dallas series in a top pairing role and that’s why we have to move on.

I’ve also told you to keep things civil over and over.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can’t imagine Rielly getting to the Florida-New York series or the Edmonton-Dallas series in a top pairing role and that’s why we have to move on.

I'd like to see what he can do in the playoffs (and throughout the regular season) with a legitimate d-partner. Brodie in his first 2.5 years was good but it's pathetic that he has probably been the best player Rielly has played with throughout his career.

Reactions: Duffman955

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really think you need to spend $15 mil on guys ahead of him. Rielly needs a steady partner... that's $3-4 mil. Given we've talked about Skjei... he's about $7.5... and you'd probably partner him with McCabe... or if not him, Roy at $4-5

Sure, and if we walked away from the offseason with Montour, Skjei and Roy for example we could remake the top pair and have a cheaper 3 in Roy. That’s the total remake I’m thinking about with Rielly being out of the picture. I don’t see him spearheading a run to the finals at age 31-35 for the rest of this contract where he did nothing in his 20s.

Reactions: Americanadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd like to see what he can do in the playoffs (and throughout the regular season) with a legitimate d-partner. Brodie in his first 2.5 years was good but it's pathetic that he has probably been the best player Rielly has played with throughout his career.

I guess one of the big questions would be, is this defense partner better than Rielly, or essentially Brodie level from 2021? Cause I think that makes a big difference in how you use cap. Essentially is that $7.5 million a better bang for the buck on a new alpha on D.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I think we all understand how you feel about Rielly at this point, it's just a question of how logical or accurate it truly is. For me he's a 1B who has elevated his play in playoff often. You treat him as such and he has value, but he's not a must have to win. Nobody is.

Was that a ghost Mod edit in the last post? Guess we don't want to draw attention that. Keeping it civil I guess.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How soon they forget

Rielly was Godly during the Tampa and Florida series last season
On a team that struggled to score he was one of the few guys who could do something creative and create scoring chances
He also faced some tough competition and held up defensively whilst being one of our few offensive catalysts

We don't need to trade MO, we need more guys like him because our backend is missing puck movers and offensive creativity right now

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
We had easy matchups because Covid made it like that and put us in a new division where we got to play a team that wouldn't of been a playoff team with the normal divisions.

Tampa Bays former assistant coach during those cup teams even said that his weakness was tracking pucks and it got exposed so they tried to help him out by not letting other teams do point shots through traffic. Watch the intermissions with the former coaches and you'll hear it from their own mouths. It's not something I just made up just to back my argument. What separates elite goalies from the average ones are they can still track pucks through traffic. Obviously they won't be perfect and still get beat but every goalie has a weakness and that is Vasilevskys.

Since you don't want to believe it. Gonna call him a liar?

and do you think nobody never saw this and never to use it against Tampa?
The only difference is Tampa was not able to hide weakness as much without mcdonaugh

If montreal should be an easy matchup, explain me why Vegas who finished with higher nunber of points and 1 of favorite to win the cup was unable to beat that easy matchup? I wait for it

They are just no easy match up

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
and do you think nobody never saw this and never to use it against Tampa?
The only difference is Tampa was not able to hide weakness as much without mcdonaugh

If montreal should be an easy matchup, explain me why Vegas who finished with higher nunber of points and 1 of favorite to win the cup was unable to beat that easy matchup? I wait for it

They are just no easy match up
Took us how many years just to beat them finally? The one year we beat them we bring in O'Rielly who was a menace in front of the net. We get Knies since his NCAA days were done who is also a threat in front. We got better in that area to expose that weakness much easier unlike previous years where we had guys like Engvall, Blackwell, Mikeyhev and Kase. But yeah, I'm sure that 1 defenceman completely stopped our entire lineup from taking point shots and screening the goalie when our own guys when he was there was afraid to battle in front of the net except Bunting.

Carey Price. Unlike other teams. we pay 40 million for 4 forwards to avoid that problem. Again though, all that money on those 4 never made us avoid that problem. In fact, it never helped us avoid any problems. Struggle to score more than 2 goals a game in the playoffs, get goalied all the time and the PP goes to shit. Worst investment ever which is the entire point. Spreading out that scoring so you can have 3 lines which can create offence and score goals is what you want in the playoffs.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Took us how many years just to beat them finally? The one year we beat them we bring in O'Rielly who was a menace in front of the net. We get Knies since his NCAA days were done who is also a threat in front. We got better in that area to expose that weakness much easier unlike previous years where we had guys like Engvall, Blackwell, Mikeyhev and Kase. But yeah, I'm sure that 1 defenceman completely stopped our entire lineup from taking point shots and screening the goalie when our own guys when he was there was afraid to battle in front of the net except Bunting.

Carey Price. Unlike other teams. we pay 40 million for 4 forwards to avoid that problem. Again though, all that money on those 4 never made us avoid that problem. In fact, it never helped us avoid any problems. Struggle to score more than 2 goals a game in the playoffs, get goalied all the time and the PP goes to shit. Worst investment ever which is the entire point. Spreading out that scoring so you can have 3 lines which can create offence and score goals is what you want in the playoffs.

The biggest difference between 2022 and 2023 was not knies or oreilly, it was Samsonov over Campbell. put campbell leafs lost game 3 probably 6-2 and lost before any comeback was possible and no chanxe leafs won gm 6 with Campbell. leafs outplayed tampa in 2022, but tampa completly outplayed toronto in 2023. That's the funny thing. and even Jon Cooper said it.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The question becomes is the salary cap fair?
Perhaps it should be calculated on the players take home salary.
Good point……

Or maybe cap should be determined by 50% of hockey related revenue per franchise.
Why have a cap then? Successful franchises still being raped to support Gary’s pet projects like Arizona, thankfully that disaster is over……

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The biggest difference between 2022 and 2023 was not knies or oreilly, it was Samsonov over Campbell. put campbell leafs lost game 3 probably 6-2 and lost before any comeback was possible and no chanxe leafs won gm 6 with Campbell. leafs outplayed tampa in 2022, but tampa completly outplayed toronto in 2023. That's the funny thing. and even Jon Cooper said it.
Jack Campbell - 897 save % and 3.15 GAA

Ilya Samsonov - 898 save % and 3.13 GAA

Look at our TDL the year we won. We traded for O'Rielly, Acciari, Lafferty and McCabe. Defensive first guys who aren't known for creating offence except O'Rielly. We loaded up to play a way that'd help us win the actual game, not the expected goals for graph.

Reactions: JKG33

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I can't say that I've watched much of Brady Skjei. How would current Skjei compare to Brodie when the Leafs signed him? Better/worse?
Stronger, better shot & skater for sure, also really solid retrieving & breaking pucks out. He's better & would probably play slightly more than Rielly here.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
They never pledged to trade anyone. I suspect most folks just heard what they wanted to hear from it.

They may make a big trades they may not. Nothing should be seen as a lock to happen though.
Unlike previous years, this time they said everything is on the table. They'll look pretty bad if they do nothing big, which is a distinct possibility.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They never pledged to trade anyone. I suspect most folks just heard what they wanted to hear from it.

They may make a big trades they may not. Nothing should be seen as a lock to happen though.

Ever the political operators, they kept it urgent and vague. But it makes sense. You can't mandate change and then go to negotiate trades a la Cliff Fletcher.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ever the political operators, they kept it urgent and vague. But it makes sense. You can't mandate change and then go to negotiate trades a la Cliff Fletcher.

I agree it makes sense and there's a decent chance it may indeed happen.

I also think there's a decent chance we see Marner extended 8 years and even JT extended on a bargain deal.

Unlike previous years, this time they said everything is on the table. They'll look pretty bad if they do nothing big, which is a distinct possibility.

Oh it'll look bad, but don't discount it from happening. We just watched Tre talk about how important it was to extend Keefe to firing him before that extension sets in. Feet in mouths come with front office territory in pro sports

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Watching the memorial cup and id trade any package with Marner to get a pick high enough to take Sam Dickinson, he's gonna be a #1D for the next 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad