GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If they don’t trade Marner, first home game I’d love to hear “fire Shanny” chants all night long.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I agree that you could read between the lines on those statements but One could very easily say the coaching swap was the bigger change he was alluding to.

They flirted with trading Nylander last summer didnt like the offers and kept him. Could see a similar situation unfold with Mitch just as easily.
This is my exact concern. I can very much see management selling the coaching change as the big shift.

They flirted with trading Nylander, didn’t like the offers and gave him 11.5 million.
What a strange leap from considering moving a player to overpaying 8 years with a NMC.

I worry the same thing with Marner. Well he won’t waive, or we don’t like the offers, here is 13 million. Why are we still struggling in the playoffs? Strange.
If Marner isn't traded before camp opens, I expect that the Leafs will resign him. They certainly won't let him walk for nothing, and they won't trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is my exact concern. I can very much see management selling the coaching change as the big shift.

If Marner isn't traded before camp opens, I expect that the Leafs will resign him. They certainly won't let him walk for nothing, and they won't trade him for pennies on the dollar.
I don’t doubt it, I just find it bizarre that 2 players you could be actively shopping (for a host of reasons), you end up overpaying long term with the almost impossible conditions of moving them down the line if that “good” deal becomes available.

Does that make sense?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Absolutely not.
The Leafs CANNOT resign him.
We need to balance the team.

Sad, but if he wants to make a mockery of his life and play out his contract, he can.

That will tank his value, as EVERYONE knows he cracks under pressure. Playing out his contract will bring huge pressure.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don’t doubt it, I just find it bizarre that 2 players you could be actively shopping (for a host of reasons), you end up overpaying long term with the almost impossible conditions of moving them down the line if that “good” deal becomes available.

Does that make sense?
It makes no sense, but it shows what happens when you delay so long that you back yourself into a corner.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Absolutely not.
The Leafs CANNOT resign him.
We need to balance the team.

Sad, but if he wants to make a mockery of his life and play out his contract, he can.

That will tank his value, as EVERYONE knows he cracks under pressure. Playing out his contract will bring huge pressure.
It's not hard to see a scenario where he comes back, has a great start to the season just like Nylander did this season, and the Leafs pay him. They aren't going to let him reach UFA status, and just as with Nylander I doubt they will let it drag to the end of the season. If anything, their position may become even more entrenched watching Edmonton make the finals on the back of 4 players.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
t's not hard to see a scenario where he comes back, has a great start to the season just like Nylander did this season, and the Leafs pay him. They aren't going to let him reach UFA status, and just as with Nylander I doubt they will let it drag to the end of the season. If anything, their position may become even more entrenched watching Edmonton make the finals on the back of 4 players.
They arent running it back.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's not hard to see a scenario where he comes back, has a great start to the season just like Nylander did this season, and the Leafs pay him. They aren't going to let him reach UFA status, and just as with Nylander I doubt they will let it drag to the end of the season. If anything, their position may become even more entrenched watching Edmonton make the finals on the back of 4 players.

While the chances of him coming back are 50/50, I don't think there is any scenario where he's here in September without an extension.

My bet on their approach is that they'll discuss extensions with both Marner and Tavares and whoever isn't willing to commit at what the team considers a fair deal will be allowed to get paid somewhere else.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Mock off-season v6:

To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Murphy, Dewar (1M); -0.6M
To CHI: Marner retention, Whitecloud, 19OA; +3.8M
To TOR: Hill, Roy, Korczak (0.8M); -3.2M

To NSH: Robertson, Jarnkrok
To TOR: Tomasino

To CAR: Liljegren, Kampf
To TOR: Drury

UFA:
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Tanev 5Mx2
Montour 7.5Mx6
Joshua 3.5Mx4

RFA:
Korczak 0.8Mx1
Tomasino 1.35Mx1
Drury 2Mx3

Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 9.50.38 AM.png

This specific roster would be exactly at the cap with Reaves and Timmins sent down.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
1717423485919.png

Dubas trying to be more "like the Panthers"

1717423365780.png

Wrong Panther Kyle.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They arent running it back.
If they revamp the defense and add a decent goalie, I could see them pointing to that and the new coach as a successful off-season. Ultimately, Marner may simply make the decision for them by blocking any proposed deal.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
  • The Toronto Maple Leafs started contract negotiations with winger Tyler Bertuzzi last week. It is still very early in the process, which makes it difficult to predict which way this will go, but there is mutual interest in keeping this relationship going.
  • The Leafs have also expressed interest in re-signing Joel Edmundson, however I’m told the rugged defenceman plans on testing free agency next month. He is open to returning to Toronto, but he wants to explore his options before deciding his future. Meanwhile, the Leafs have not started negotiations with another mid-season acquisition, Ilya Lyubushkin, who is also set to become a UFA.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Ultimately, Marner may simply make the decision for them by blocking any proposed deal.
He wont.

He'll crumble under the pressure and tank his value.

If i'm Berube I make it clear if he comes back he'll be driving his own line - the third line. 10.8 AAV players drive their own line.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Mock off-season v6:

To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Murphy, Dewar (1M); -0.6M
To CHI: Marner retention, Whitecloud, 19OA; +3.8M
To TOR: Hill, Roy, Korczak (0.8M); -3.2M

To NSH: Robertson, Jarnkrok
To TOR: Tomasino

To CAR: Liljegren, Kampf
To TOR: Drury

UFA:
Bertuzzi 5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Tanev 5Mx2
Montour 7.5Mx6
Joshua 3.5Mx4

RFA:
Korczak 0.8Mx1
Tomasino 1.35Mx1
Drury 2Mx3

View attachment 879061

This specific roster would be exactly at the cap with Reaves and Timmins sent down.

I went with this and frankly, I think my idea is safer than yours and frankly that Marner trade adds insult to injury after the bullshit this fanbase has been through. I would consider next season a transition year. Extending Marner and either letting JT play out his final year or extending him at a bargain.

Only major trade: Nick Robertson + Timothy Liljegren for Jack Drury + Joey Keane

You can fill out the 3rd pair RD and 4th line winger how you'd like. You may even choose to upgrade Hakanpaa, as long as there is cap space which allows them to keep Cowan all season.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 101920.png

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I went with this and frankly, I think my idea is safer than yours and frankly that Marner trade adds insult to injury after the bullshit this fanbase has been through. I would consider next season a transition year. Extending Marner and either letting JT play out his final year or extending him at a bargain.

Only major trade: Nick Robertson + Timothy Liljegren for Jack Drury + Joey Keane

You can fill out the 3rd pair RD and 4th line winger how you'd like. You may even choose to upgrade Hakanpaa, as long as there is cap space which allows them to keep Cowan all season.

View attachment 879081
I honestly think that trade would be best case scenario. Two long-term pieces including a RD that has top 4 upside. If they re-sign Hill that's a slam dunk.

That right side would significantly worry me. The 3 of them combined for 49:56 average TOI this season. Who plays the other 10 minutes?

That 2nd line also worries me, they would get completely caved in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He wont.

He'll crumble under the pressure and tank his value.

If i'm Berube I make it clear if he comes back he'll be driving his own line - the third line. 10.8 AAV players drive their own line.
This is the scenario I hope was the main part of berube’s coffee talk with Mitchie, let that idea ferment until July first…….

Reactions: LeafSteel

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I honestly think that trade would be best case scenario. Two long-term pieces including a RD that has top 4 upside. If they re-sign Hill that's a slam dunk.

That right side would significantly worry me. The 3 of them combined for 49:56 average TOI this season. Who plays the other 10 minutes?

That 2nd line also worries me, they would get completely caved in.

If that's the best case scenario, just euthanize the organization. I don't want to spend $5M on a goalie and I don't want them to depend on Nic Roy for any sort of offensive responsibility. Well, maybe if he was playing with Marner.

Like I said, my scenario is a transition year with them essentially playing out the last season of Tavares. Let him take all the heat if he refuses to waive his NMC or if he doesn't sign a heavily discounted extension. They will finally be allowed to spend his money elsewhere in 2025-26. This team would have approximately $31-32M in space with 3 RFAs and McCabe to extend.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
  • The Toronto Maple Leafs started contract negotiations with winger Tyler Bertuzzi last week. It is still very early in the process, which makes it difficult to predict which way this will go, but there is mutual interest in keeping this relationship going.
  • The Leafs have also expressed interest in re-signing Joel Edmundson, however I’m told the rugged defenceman plans on testing free agency next month. He is open to returning to Toronto, but he wants to explore his options before deciding his future. Meanwhile, the Leafs have not started negotiations with another mid-season acquisition, Ilya Lyubushkin, who is also set to become a UFA.
It made sense to try and bring Edmundson back. The fact that he wants to test the market means he probably won't be back.

The focus should be on Bertuzzi and Domi extensions and a Marner trade.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If that's the best case scenario, just euthanize the organization. I don't want to spend $5M on a goalie and I don't want them to depend on Nic Roy for any sort of offensive responsibility. Well, maybe if he was playing with Marner.

Like I said, my scenario is a transition year with them essentially playing out the last season of Tavares. Let him take all the heat if he refuses to waive his NMC or if he doesn't sign a heavily discounted extension. They will finally be allowed to spend his money elsewhere in 2025-26. This team would have approximately $31-32M in space with 3 RFAs and McCabe to extend.
Why rent Marner in a so-called transition year? Assuming he's not re-signing because you're talking about all the cap space available in the 2025 off-season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Nic Roy us exactly what yhis team needs, and nit with Marner on his wing…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad