Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why is this a concern? Toronto can pay him more than any other team, and they will. You may not love the contract when it is announced, but I don't think there will be anything surprising about it.

It's pretty obvious why it's a concern. Until it's done, the concern will grow. You can be as optimistic as you want about it.

Nylander wouldn't be the first star player to leave a team because negotiations broke down.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's pretty obvious why it's a concern. Until it's done, the concern will grow. You can be as optimistic as you want about it.

Nylander wouldn't be the first star player to leave a team because negotiations broke down.
If anyone was a flight risk, it was Matthews, and he stayed. I don't see any reason why Nylander would leave. There won't be another team that can pay him as much as Toronto will.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If anyone was a flight risk, it was Matthews, and he stayed. I don't see any reason why Nylander would leave. There won't be another team that can pay him as much as Toronto will.
Maybe not, but someone could.

I don't think he'd want to leave either but there could be reasons why he would want to. Lots of unknowns and speculation.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

One person got what they wanted. One person isn't the same as the next.

I don't want to derail this thread into this again but generally speaking until it's done, it's a concern and not something to easily scuff at like it's a done deal.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He’s strong enough, just can’t move quick enough to defend top line forwards. He’d be great as 3rd pairing guy.
He is not strong enough I don’t know what your seeing hes like 185 obviously he’s still a man but he’s not strong smart nor skilled enough to be up there

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He is not strong enough I don’t know what your seeing hes like 185 obviously he’s still a man but he’s not strong smart nor skilled enough to be up there
He may not be heavy enough, but his biggest weakness is his lack of quickness. Either way, I still think he’d be a good pick up for a Cup contender.

Reactions: arso40

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Our goalies give up rebounds that turn into goals because we do not have one defender capable of clearing the net.posters on here want defenders who are offensive.
We need stay at home crease clearing dmen.
Tonight will be a test to see who will stand up to Bennett or tkachuk running our goalies.

We need 2 big dmen

Reilly Xxx
Xxx lilly
McCabe timmins
Gio

Reactions: arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Our goalies give up rebounds that turn into goals because we do not have one defender capable of clearing the net.posters on here want defenders who are offensive.
We need stay at home crease clearing dmen.
Tonight will be a test to see who will stand up to Bennett or tkachuk running our goalies.

We need 2 big dmen

Reilly Xxx
Xxx lilly
McCabe timmins
Gio
I think they need to acquire one of each. They need both offense from the blueline and more strength on the blueline.

Reactions: meefer

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Middleton would be a fantastic addition, excellent low key all zone player.
Carrier would be another one with a bit of a bite but can play a system

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
the need D that can primarily defend, offense would be a secondary bonus imo...........
Not that I disagree but Brodie's shot is so weak that every defender on the ice can't wait to get in the shooting lane, knock it down and take off the other way for an odd-man rush.

Would be nice for Dmen to have a hard enough wrist shot to actually make it to the net now and then to create a rebound or scramble situation.

Reactions: arso40 and rumman

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Nothing earth shattering as I've always felt Shanahan wanted to keep the core and Dubas was ready to change things up.

If I had to bet on the odd man out, I'd go with Mitch:

Reactions: Rocker13

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Nothing earth shattering as I've always felt Shanahan wanted to keep the core and Dubas was ready to change things up.

Who cares? Siegel is a diehard Dubas fan. Cant stop talking about him

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Who cares? Siegel is a diehard Dubas fan. Cant stop talking about him

The bolded applies but when Dubas acquired Karlsson for Pitts, apparently we went pretty far down the rabbit hole on trade talks when Dubas was with the Leafs (per Grier) so if Karlsson is a Leaf right now, how much more top heavy are we now?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think any GM chatter around a major trade was to deflect attention from making any other changes (Keefe?). Practically nothing from Kyle's past with Toronto or current tenure with Pittsburgh suggests the trading away of a core player is part of the M.O.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The bolded applies but when Dubas acquired Karlsson for Pitts, apparently we went pretty far down the rabbit hole on trade talks when Dubas was with the Leafs (per Grier) so if Karlsson is a Leaf right now, how much more top heavy are we now?

Unless there were plans to move on from other players but who knows

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I would need to know what he actually did first.

Please no one use this as an excuse to post that rumour lol
The rumour is silly and offensive to another player's family. I'm also pretty sure something done between two consenting adults would not have resulted in this outcome. Hockey players have affairs, groupies...whatever all the time. Clearly, in this case Perry did something above and beyond.

Reactions: uncleben

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If the Leafs continue to disappoint towards the TD and/or the playoffs, does anyone here think Tavares would be willing to waive his NMC if he was asked to? He’d obviously have a say where he’d be willing to waive to.

Even if it could happen, which it won’t, it wouldn’t get us anywhere because we’d have to retain so much to make him attractive to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad