Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No rentals or short term solutions.. need needs a medium to long term plan in mind.

They have a nice group of young wingers. The focus should be on finding an anchor for the blue line and a Tavares replacement to step into the #2C role.

Goaltending is a question but right now some internal options of Woll and Hildeby should be explored first.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
We haven’t exactly had the best of defencemen around here rielly is making him look good now and the job is the other way around when he took it he’s not physical enough he’s done good but we need to move on or get real creative cause he cost top 4 money and isn’t a top 2 tanev is
He’s definitely taken a step back, no disagreement there. But as recently as last year I don’t think there was an argument to be made saying that Brodie was not a great signing. And when we signed Brodie years ago, if you had to pick which of the two would fall off first, most people would have said Tanev for sure given his history.

Reactions: Fogelhund

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Marner + Timmins for Larsson, Bjorkstrand and Wright.

This isn't the worst proposal I've seen.

Comes down to what your opinion of Shane Wright is.

If he's someone that becomes a good NHL'er and it's just a slow burn process, this would probably be a quality deal for us but I know he's a pretty polarizing prospect.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This isn't the worst proposal I've seen.

Comes down to what your opinion of Shane Wright is.

If he's someone that becomes a good NHL'er and it's just a slow burn process, this would probably be a quality deal for us but I know he's a pretty polarizing prospect.

It's a couple of things for me... .one, it's a change, when it appears we need a change. It gives us a top pairing D... an RW who is having a good year, and a C, who "might" become a 2C... at minimum should be a 3C. It also gives us cap to possibly sign Kane... to at least replace some of what Marner does now. Kane, Bjork and Larsson vs. Marner... and I think I take the first group now, for more depth and a D. Wright you just have to be patient with, and hope that he figures it out.

Reactions: weems

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's a couple of things for me... .one, it's a change, when it appears we need a change. It gives us a top pairing D... an RW who is having a good year, and a C, who "might" become a 2C... at minimum should be a 3C. It also gives us cap to possibly sign Kane... to at least replace some of what Marner does now. Kane, Bjork and Larsson vs. Marner... and I think I take the first group now, for more depth and a D. Wright you just have to be patient with, and hope that he figures it out.
I think we all accept nothing like this is going to happen.

Right?

Reactions: arso40

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You know how Calgary scaled back extension talks with their players?

I'd be scaling back talks of trades for rentals if I am Toronto, this year's team really doesn't feel worth trading futures for.
St Louis was at the bottom of the NHL at New Years the year they won the Cup.

The concept of punting one year and weakening the club for a few draft picks that won't be ready to contribute for at least 5 years seems......dare I say - outright dumb?

Reactions: smitty10 and ULF_55

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

The concept of punting one year and weakening the club for a few draft picks that won't be ready to contribute for at least 5 years seems......dare I say - outright dumb?

Yeah but they have no choice now but to double down. Even if Tre doesn’t Shanny does. I don’t see it.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Reilly Tanev / Murphy
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Timmins

I like the look of this far better

Legit #1 pair
The hope here is Lily can heal what ails Brodie
If McCabe accepts the role he's required and that is to be DEFENCE first this big pair might just work

Reactions: freshwind

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Reilly Tanev / Murphy
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Timmins

Legit #1 pair
If McCabe accepts the role he's required and that is to be DEFENCE first this big pair might just work
I’d rather Murphy. Knowing our luck and Tanev’s injury history he won’t even make it to the playoffs.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If the Leafs continue to disappoint towards the TD and/or the playoffs, does anyone here think Tavares would be willing to waive his NMC if he was asked to? He’d obviously have a say where he’d be willing to waive to.
New York……….. (dundundun) Rangers

Kreider + Schneider
For
Tavares + Timmins

I’m kidding btw.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Reilly Tanev / Murphy
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Timmins

Legit #1 pair
If we’re stucc with those 6 I switch Brodie with McCabe he can stablize timmins and the hope is lily continues to improve

horner

May 22, 2007

Watch the game tonight against Florida and tell me we are one defenseman away from going to the finals I say NO.

The way mathews and marner are playing I say no

Our scouting Department seems to know how to uncover jems in the draft.
Cowen Minten most likely will be ready next
Grebyonkin the following year
We need good young players on ELC contract if we are ever going to win a cup.
Our defense sucks it will take more than one player to fix it

The Bruins have a really good center that was drafted in 2022 58 overall
Poitrus 21 games 10 pts

If you can uncover the right players it could be 2 or 3 yrs.

First I want to see mathews marner Nylander and JT take this team on there back and win a couple of rds .
I have seen there best in the playoffs.

Next summer is the time to rebuild the defence
Skeji Pesce Carolina can't sign both
Tanev
Demelo

Skeji and Demelo wouldbbe a good start

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
It's to bad we didn't grab AJ Greer of waivers
21 games 8 pts +2
I was hoping we would have picked him up .
0.762 cap hit
He was passed through on waivers
Then calgary picked him up

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This core group of four have consistently not been able to raise their games to the levels needed to succeed. We’ve changed the coach, the GM, the surrounding cast and now it’s at its lowest point I’ve seen. Not only do we seem to give the lowest level of needed, we play down, and drop the effort when playing lesser teams.

There just doesn’t seem to be that drive, and will to win. I don’t know how you change that at all, if that internal drive isn't there.

I've been one of the patient one's here. Defended the GM, defended the coach, and generally pretty positive. I'm still not sure what the previous or current GM could do differently, if the core doesn't have that drive to win, and drive to compete regularly. I'm not sure what the coach could even do.

With the way the group is playing, it really looks like Keefe has lost them. He's always been a details guy, and here we are, sloppy play, poor defensively, and mindless too many men on the ice penalties. Keefe was asked about the Too many men penalties, and his answer just sensed frustration. No matter how good a coach is, they only have a certain shelf life, and it appears as though he's now past his Best Before Date...

I want to say that it's time to clean the back office completely. Shanahan and down.. time for some new eyes on this. What has been done, hasn't met expectations. I'm not sure it's their fault, as I really feel it's the players... but this management group is too tied to this group of players, and if we need to regroup somehow, we need someone else looking at this, to figure out why the group has a lack of drive, and who are the biggest issues within that.

I don't want to trade futures to bandaid this anymore. No young guys, no prospects, no picks... we've done that enough. Changed the supporting cast, brought in different types of players, and in the end, it's the same not good enough effort from the top... from the leadership group. I have been consistent in saying that though, that when your best players, guys paid elite level compensation, aren't the best players on the ice, you aren't going to win. As a group, if you are unwilling to show that level of play, and effort needed to win, you don't deserve to have a better supporting cast. I was patient, give them time to mature, and maybe they'll get there... and maybe they will, but I really don't see any positive moves in that direction, and their play this year has been completely unacceptable... with the exception of course of Nylander, who has been great.

Marner and Matthews are at 3.2 GA/60... compared to 2.7 and 2.5 last year. Their GF/60 are down. Paid at at elite levels, their play should reflect that, and right now, it isn't.. There is simply no real fight with these guys right now, the intensity we saw last year from Matthews, just isn't there this year. Marner... I mean, I don't know what's going on there... too much effort, trying to do too much, and just making a mess of everything?

Bottom line, we've been doing the same thing, and it isn't working... and it's time for a change. I have no idea who I'd want running this thing going forward, but I think it's clear, what we are doing now, isn't working. President, Coach... it's time to clean house.. and please no trading any futures right now.

Agreed on all accounts.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's to bad we didn't grab AJ Greer of waivers
21 games 8 pts +2
I was hoping we would have picked him up .
0.762 cap hit
He was passed through on waivers
Then calgary picked him up
That shipped sailed as soon as Tre had a brain cramp and chose to sign Reaves. Would have been nice if one of his many assistants/superiors stood up and told him, dude you are making a mistake x 3 years.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This core group of four have consistently not been able to raise their games to the levels needed to succeed. We’ve changed the coach, the GM, the surrounding cast and now it’s at its lowest point I’ve seen. Not only do we seem to give the lowest level of needed, we play down, and drop the effort when playing lesser teams.

There just doesn’t seem to be that drive, and will to win. I don’t know how you change that at all, if that internal drive isn't there.

I've been one of the patient one's here. Defended the GM, defended the coach, and generally pretty positive. I'm still not sure what the previous or current GM could do differently, if the core doesn't have that drive to win, and drive to compete regularly. I'm not sure what the coach could even do.

With the way the group is playing, it really looks like Keefe has lost them. He's always been a details guy, and here we are, sloppy play, poor defensively, and mindless too many men on the ice penalties. Keefe was asked about the Too many men penalties, and his answer just sensed frustration. No matter how good a coach is, they only have a certain shelf life, and it appears as though he's now past his Best Before Date...

I want to say that it's time to clean the back office completely. Shanahan and down.. time for some new eyes on this. What has been done, hasn't met expectations. I'm not sure it's their fault, as I really feel it's the players... but this management group is too tied to this group of players, and if we need to regroup somehow, we need someone else looking at this, to figure out why the group has a lack of drive, and who are the biggest issues within that.

I don't want to trade futures to bandaid this anymore. No young guys, no prospects, no picks... we've done that enough. Changed the supporting cast, brought in different types of players, and in the end, it's the same not good enough effort from the top... from the leadership group. I have been consistent in saying that though, that when your best players, guys paid elite level compensation, aren't the best players on the ice, you aren't going to win. As a group, if you are unwilling to show that level of play, and effort needed to win, you don't deserve to have a better supporting cast. I was patient, give them time to mature, and maybe they'll get there... and maybe they will, but I really don't see any positive moves in that direction, and their play this year has been completely unacceptable... with the exception of course of Nylander, who has been great.

Marner and Matthews are at 3.2 GA/60... compared to 2.7 and 2.5 last year. Their GF/60 are down. Paid at at elite levels, their play should reflect that, and right now, it isn't.. There is simply no real fight with these guys right now, the intensity we saw last year from Matthews, just isn't there this year. Marner... I mean, I don't know what's going on there... too much effort, trying to do too much, and just making a mess of everything?

Bottom line, we've been doing the same thing, and it isn't working... and it's time for a change. I have no idea who I'd want running this thing going forward, but I think it's clear, what we are doing now, isn't working. President, Coach... it's time to clean house.. and please no trading any futures right now.

I agree, by and large, but the one point I disagree is on trading assets for improvements. I still think we absolutely should shore up the D regardless of what we decide needs to be done up front. My only stipulation is those assets must come with term

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Reilly Tanev / Murphy
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Timmins

Legit #1 pair
What ails Brodie is his lack of speed and quickness.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No rentals or short term solutions.. need needs a medium to long term plan in mind.

They have a nice group of young wingers. The focus should be on finding an anchor for the blue line and a Tavares replacement to step into the #2C role.

Goaltending is a question but right now some internal options of Woll and Hildeby should be explored first.

Yeah this team hasn't earned any sort of addition through rentals like they did in the past. They're wildly inconsistent. They need to figure it out internally and we'll see if that changes. I don't think finding that long-term defensive upgrade can happen in-season without paying a lot.

I'd test Woll a lot more in the next few weeks and months. We need to know how good he can be for longer periods of time instead of the one on and off. Goaltending is so wild and tough to predict. Just look at Alex Lyon with the Red Wings right now, he's allowed what... 1 or 2 goals in his 3 starts? Leafs could call-up Martin Jones and he'd put up 3 straight shutouts, and then allow 15 goals in the next 3 games.

The #1 worry is handling Nylanders contract. Treliving is on the clock.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The #1 worry is handling Nylanders contract. Treliving is on the clock.
Why is this a concern? Toronto can pay him more than any other team, and they will. You may not love the contract when it is announced, but I don't think there will be anything surprising about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad