Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Is it bad that I’m already thinking about the off-season/next year 19 games in? Just not feeling it at all with this team this year. Forwards have been pretty shit, blueline has been awful and goaltending hasn’t been much better.

Reactions: Fogelhund

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Is it bad that I’m already thinking about the off-season/next year 19 games in? Just not feeling it at all with this team this year. Forwards have been pretty shit, blueline has been awful and goaltending hasn’t been much better.
I get the feeling, but may be a bit of an over reaction for me. With all the issues that are apparent 20 games in, they're still doing well all things considered. There's still a lot of time to turn it around. It's not like they're in EDM position where they have to be lights out for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. There's very little chance MM and AM34 continue to play this poorly, Lilly should hoepfully be back in December which will boost our D depth and you hope Klinger taking this time to recover form a nagging injury will get him back on track. If not, Tre has room to make a trade. Goaltending situation is worrisome, but can be masked with better defensive play.

Too many things not going the Leafs way in Oct and Nov. Here's hoping they turn it around in Dec and onwards! Keep the faith!

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I get the feeling, but may be a bit of an over reaction for me. With all the issues that are apparent 20 games in, they're still doing well all things considered. There's still a lot of time to turn it around. It's not like they're in EDM position where they have to be lights out for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. There's very little chance MM and AM34 continue to play this poorly, Lilly should hoepfully be back in December which will boost our D depth and you hope Klinger taking this time to recover form a nagging injury will get him back on track. If not, Tre has room to make a trade. Goaltending situation is worrisome, but can be masked with better defensive play.

Too many things not going the Leafs way in Oct and Nov. Here's hoping they turn it around in Dec and onwards! Keep the faith!
Overreactions (both good and bad) are what people do best here. The reality is that while the team has been far from perfect, there are a lot of good signs. There will clearly be some additions made during the season, as well, especially now that some meaningful cap space has been created.

Reactions: arso40

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Pionk has been someone I always thought might work on that top RHD spot for leafs, a mobile , rhd that hits and shoots. I also think Barron is on the cusp of breaking out, kid is a huge framed C . reminds me of PLD before he broke out.

not sure what they'd want if they'd discount to move Pionk's cap but I'd be tempted to discuss Lil who i'm high on

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They found muckers that fit finally in Acciari, Schenn and Lafferty. Treliving really just had to tie up some loose ends with 2 of them. Replacing those 3 players with Klingberg, Kampf and Reaves at more money and term was dumb. Even if Schenn and Acciari hated Toronto and wouldn't take the money they took in the deals they ended up signing. They already had Lafferty, he was cheap and expiring, he was a forward who could PK and play center. Replacing him in the lineup with Reaves on the deal he signed is just nonsense.

Treliving did some dumb shit this summer. If he reinforced that bottom of the lineup pugnacity and defensive presence with top-9 signings like Bertuzzi and Domi his summer would have been much more successful.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Unfortunately, we are probably equally likely to lose one of them to UFA for nothing than actually trading them.

RE: Willy & Mitch

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This core group of four have consistently not been able to raise their games to the levels needed to succeed. We’ve changed the coach, the GM, the surrounding cast and now it’s at its lowest point I’ve seen. Not only do we seem to give the lowest level of needed, we play down, and drop the effort when playing lesser teams.

There just doesn’t seem to be that drive, and will to win. I don’t know how you change that at all, if that internal drive isn't there.

I've been one of the patient one's here. Defended the GM, defended the coach, and generally pretty positive. I'm still not sure what the previous or current GM could do differently, if the core doesn't have that drive to win, and drive to compete regularly. I'm not sure what the coach could even do.

With the way the group is playing, it really looks like Keefe has lost them. He's always been a details guy, and here we are, sloppy play, poor defensively, and mindless too many men on the ice penalties. Keefe was asked about the Too many men penalties, and his answer just sensed frustration. No matter how good a coach is, they only have a certain shelf life, and it appears as though he's now past his Best Before Date...

I want to say that it's time to clean the back office completely. Shanahan and down.. time for some new eyes on this. What has been done, hasn't met expectations. I'm not sure it's their fault, as I really feel it's the players... but this management group is too tied to this group of players, and if we need to regroup somehow, we need someone else looking at this, to figure out why the group has a lack of drive, and who are the biggest issues within that.

I don't want to trade futures to bandaid this anymore. No young guys, no prospects, no picks... we've done that enough. Changed the supporting cast, brought in different types of players, and in the end, it's the same not good enough effort from the top... from the leadership group. I have been consistent in saying that though, that when your best players, guys paid elite level compensation, aren't the best players on the ice, you aren't going to win. As a group, if you are unwilling to show that level of play, and effort needed to win, you don't deserve to have a better supporting cast. I was patient, give them time to mature, and maybe they'll get there... and maybe they will, but I really don't see any positive moves in that direction, and their play this year has been completely unacceptable... with the exception of course of Nylander, who has been great.

Marner and Matthews are at 3.2 GA/60... compared to 2.7 and 2.5 last year. Their GF/60 are down. Paid at at elite levels, their play should reflect that, and right now, it isn't.. There is simply no real fight with these guys right now, the intensity we saw last year from Matthews, just isn't there this year. Marner... I mean, I don't know what's going on there... too much effort, trying to do too much, and just making a mess of everything?

Bottom line, we've been doing the same thing, and it isn't working... and it's time for a change. I have no idea who I'd want running this thing going forward, but I think it's clear, what we are doing now, isn't working. President, Coach... it's time to clean house.. and please no trading any futures right now.

Last edited:

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Me too thought I was the only one tanev was the perfect fit but the geek thought get a left that can play the right side instead of rielly perfect partner
You don’t think Brodie has been one of our best defencemen over the past few years? It would have been great to have Tanev as well but don’t discredit what Brodie has brought to the team.

By the way, some friendly advice: I’d give punctuation a shot. It would make your posts easier to read and it’s also not a good look insulting someone when you can barely form a proper sentence yourself. Cheers.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Cam Fowler with retention ...

Just how to make it work.

And don't give me he sucks because he's on the Ducks and is ancient ... heard the same thing about Lindholm.
Same boat as Gibson IMO. Their stats have been affected playing on a terrible team but there’s no denying their talent. They’d both get back to an elite level on a contender.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This core group of four have consistently not been able to raise their games to the levels needed to succeed. We’ve changed the coach, the GM, the surrounding cast and now it’s at its lowest point I’ve seen. Not only do we seem to give the lowest level of needed, we play down, and drop the effort when playing lesser teams.

There just doesn’t seem to be that drive, and will to win. I don’t know how you change that at all, if that internal drive isn't there.

I've been one of the patient one's here. Defended the GM, defended the coach, and generally pretty positive. I'm still not sure what the previous or current GM could do differently, if the core doesn't have that drive to win, and drive to compete regularly. I'm not sure what the coach could even do.

With the way the group is playing, it really looks like Keefe has lost them. He's always been a details guy, and here we are, sloppy play, poor defensively, and mindless too many men on the ice penalties. Keefe was asked about the Too many men penalties, and his answer just sensed frustration. No matter how good a coach is, they only have a certain shelf life, and it appears as though he's now past his Best Before Date...

I want to say that it's time to clean the back office completely. Shanahan and down.. time for some new eyes on this. What has been done, hasn't met expectations. I'm not sure it's their fault, as I really feel it's the players... but this management group is too tied to this group of players, and if we need to regroup somehow, we need someone else looking at this, to figure out why the group has a lack of drive, and who are the biggest issues within that.

I don't want to trade futures to bandaid this anymore. No young guys, no prospects, no picks... we've done that enough. Changed the supporting cast, brought in different types of players, and in the end, it's the same not good enough effort from the top... from the leadership group. I have been consistent in saying that though, that when your best players, guys paid elite level compensation, aren't the best players on the ice, you aren't going to win. As a group, if you are unwilling to show that level of play, and effort needed to win, you don't deserve to have a better supporting cast. I was patient, give them time to mature, and maybe they'll get there... and maybe they will, but I really don't see any positive moves in that direction, and their play this year has been completely unacceptable... with the exception of course of Nylander, who has been great.

Marner and Matthews are at 3.2 GA/60... compared to 2.7 and 2.5 last year. Their GF/60 are down. Paid at at elite levels, their play should reflect that, and right now, it isn't.. There is simply no real fight with these guys right now, the intensity we saw last year from Matthews, just isn't there this year. Marner... I mean, I don't know what's going on there... too much effort, trying to do too much, and just making a mess of everything?

Bottom line, we've been doing the same thing, and it isn't working... and it's time for a change. I have no idea who I'd want running this thing going forward, but I think it's clear, what we are doing now, isn't working. President, Coach... it's time to clean house.. and please no trading any futures right now.
I think you have to give it a lot more than 20 games this season to reach this conclusion. Again, prior to the last two games this team was on a 4 game winning streak (whether in OT or shootout, a win is a win). I would give Keefe the rest of this season and the playoffs and then re-evaluate in the summer, which I expect is exactly what Treliving will do. On the other hand, I don't think any re-evaluation will happen with the top four players on this team. Nylander will be resigned this year, and Marner will be resigned next year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think you have to give it a lot more than 20 games this season to reach this conclusion. Again, prior to the last two games this team was on a 4 game winning streak (whether in OT or shootout, a win is a win). I would give Keefe the rest of this season and the playoffs and then re-evaluate in the summer, which I expect is exactly what Treliving will do. On the other hand, I don't think any re-evaluation will happen with the top four players on this team. Nylander will be resigned this year, and Marner will be resigned next year.

My viewpoint isn't about just the 19 games this season, and to be honest, even on the winning streak, they didn't look very good. They've got just 5 regulation wins on the season. Just two regulation wins in the last 12 games. It's about how they are playing, and it's not good. It's about how they don't raise their games in the playoffs, and are currently not showing a lot of push back, or effort. This team is currently lost.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
You don’t think Brodie has been one of our best defencemen over the past few years? It would have been great to have Tanev as well but don’t discredit what Brodie has brought to the team.

By the way, some friendly advice: I’d give punctuation a shot. It would make your posts easier to read and it’s also not a good look insulting someone when you can barely form a proper sentence yourself. Cheers.
We haven’t exactly had the best of defencemen around here rielly is making him look good now and the job is the other way around when he took it he’s not physical enough he’s done good but we need to move on or get real creative cause he cost top 4 money and isn’t a top 2 tanev is

Reactions: TMLAM34

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Cam Fowler with retention ...

Just how to make it work.

And don't give me he sucks because he's on the Ducks and is ancient ... heard the same thing about Lindholm.
Fowler neither sucks nor is ancient. At the same time, I might not wholeheartedly agree that he's the quality of a Lindholm (as an overall defenceman) or precisely what this team needs at the moment.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

So 2 wrongs make it right? I’m gonna take the high road my friend since we’re being friendly and all

Reactions: LeafSteel

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If the Leafs continue to disappoint towards the TD and/or the playoffs, does anyone here think Tavares would be willing to waive his NMC if he was asked to? He’d obviously have a say where he’d be willing to waive to.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If the Leafs continue to disappoint towards the TD and/or the playoffs, does anyone here think Tavares would be willing to waive his NMC if he was asked to? He’d obviously have a say where he’d be willing to waive to.
That would be a dream scenario for sure

Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Absolutely not going to happen. The other three would move first.

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm guessing they'd trade the pending UFAs before considering a move of that magnitude.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fowler neither sucks nor is ancient. At the same time, I might not wholeheartedly agree that he's the quality of a Lindholm (as an overall defenceman) or precisely what this team needs at the moment.
If he were Lindholm probably couldn't afford him.

One thing is he wouldn't have to handle as much in Toronto ...

1701110327113.png

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad