GDT: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's precautionary. When you have two goalies you can count on, you rest one and play the other. I get it's disappointing to hear, but feels like we are certainly making more of this than needed.
Sure, but it’s also fairly concerning that he can’t even start the year. I don’t think anyone is making more of it, he hasn’t been able to stay healthy, and here we are again to start a season. I know I’ll have “upper body” tightness every time he stretches to make a save this season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Really have no clue why this org felt the need to re-sign Woll this summer and not at least wait half the season to see how it plays out. Especially with how it ended last year...

It was a calculated risk. Even at his current cap hit he's a very good back-up for ~30 games at the worst. If they wait to sign him and has a great season, then his cap hit can very well be 2-3M more. He can still put together a great season regardless of his current status

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Except this isn’t really true.
Okay, let’s leave out the powerplay.
JT was 25th in even strength goals and 31st in even strength points for all centers in the entire league last year which is effectively 1st line center production.

Even his skating was also clocked in season as nearly identical to the previous season.

He is still an above average 2C; just a very overpaid one for 1 more year.

He did have a goalless stretch. I think only scoring 20 is a big part of why people say he had a down year. Wouldn’t at all be shocked if he bounces back to 25-30 this season.
I heard that he actually went goalless in 53 or so games, what a bum🙄

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Really have no clue why this org felt the need to re-sign Woll this summer and not at least wait half the season to see how it plays out. Especially with how it ended last year...

You’re gambling on potential.. we see teams do this often, give a young guy who flashes potential a deal with some term to get good value in the later years

But these are the risks associated with it

Reactions: ACC1224

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Sure, but it’s also fairly concerning that he can’t even start the year. I don’t think anyone is making more of it, he hasn’t been able to stay healthy, and here we are again to start a season. I know I’ll have “upper body” tightness every time he stretches to make a save this season.
Absolutely. But the key for me is that mgmt are choosing to keep him out. He may very well be fine to go tonight, but they are choosing to rest him just in case. Given how important he is to our success, I think that is fine. Lots of players will get sore during a season and play through it. They don't want him to because they have the luxury of Stolarz.

Maybe I am being too optimistic about it, but it seems like this was their call not his call.

1728491800471.png

Reactions: DarkKnight

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Don’t the Leafs have the highest payroll for sports science/ medical staff ? What kind of joke is this?

What are they supposed to do for a guy who can’t or refuses to play when he feels the slightest tweak? There’s nothing sports science can do about that. Woll can’t or won’t play through injury. This is Andersen all over again.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I have a feeling Matt Murray will end up playing a crucial role for us this season, but he has severe health question marks too.

Let's see where this goes! Woll is not a wall, he's glass.

Reactions: DarkKnight

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Feel pretty good about Stolarz, so I'm not worried at this stage. I understand folks feeling annoyed though.

You know what annoys me? Getting old and living on the east coast. Over the summer I've taken to going to bed a bit earlier, now I've gotta' get used to staying up late to finish a hockey game again.

Reactions: supermann_98

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You’re gambling on potential.. we see teams do this often, give a young guy who flashes potential a deal with some term to get good value in the later years

But these are the risks associated with it
Yeah I get why they did it, I just never thought it was a smart move. He has like no leverage. He literally hurt himself making a save in game 6 of the playoffs, after coming back from hurting himself making a basic save.

Durability has always been the question mark for him. The deal just felt like it had a really low payoff with a lot more risk. Say he comes into this season, plays well splitting the net with Stolarz, realistically what can he ask for/get? Cant imagine it would be much more than what the Leafs already gave him.

Reactions: supermann_98

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It isn’t a big deal, but it does further erode confidence he can be the long term answer health wise. Everyone’s first reaction was “f***” for a reason.

Anyways, still looking forward to tonight.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they didn't want Woll to play the season opener in Montreal because he'll be standing there for probably an hour while Montreal passes the torch around to anyone who's ever worn their toilet seat jersey.

Hard to stay warmed up for that long

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224 and thewave

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What starting/1A goalie doesn't start game 1 because of injury

Campbell started for us twice, Andersen all 5 years he was here.

Swayman didn't beacuse of contract negotiations costing him training camp.

When you get as injured as woll does, and you miss a game 7 due to injury...yea people don't wanna hear about you getting injured again, especially before the damn season even starts

Soros is injured to start the season

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Soros is injured to start the season
I stand corrected lol

Even still, woll gets hurt way too much and this time he's gotten hurt before the season has started, how can we count on him in the playoffs if we can't even rely on him to start the season healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad