Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
The only way we should be dealing Minten is if it’s in a package deal to acquire a top pairing defenceman that’s 30 or under and signed for multiple years. Otherwise you keep him, kids going to be a 3/4C as early as next season.
Preferably
Sergachev for Droiun type of a deal

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Lili is an offensive guy if he's given the chance to play that role on his pair. That's why if you can find a way to get Tanev and Zadorov and keep Brodie then I think our D core looks pretty good.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-Lili
Zadorov-Timmins/Gio

You need goals you pair Rielly and Lili. You need to shut shit down you pair Tanev and Brodie. Zadorov can help clear the crease on the PK even though Brodie and Tanev would be that top pair. All of them can move the puck as well even though they are more known for their defence.
That second pairing would get smoked in the playoffs.

Reactions: horner

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I'm gonna throw a wild one out there but right off the hop, it's contingent likely upon Marner waiving NMC / willing to re-sign in New Jersey...

Off-season

Marner
Timmins

for

Mercer
Bastian
Vanacek
Nemec

Bastian would be a solid 4th line RW in place of Reaves
Vanacek can back up Woll

Mercer having a down year, maybe able to bounce back but maybe could re-sign for 4-5M x 5 years

Nemec is the big addition, RHD good both ways, has the chance to be a top pairing defenseman.

Nylander of course would need to have re-upped in Toronto

I've looked at it on the Devils side too...could still have 8M to go goalie hunting and otherwise put together a great line up at F/D
Why does Marner agree to do that? He is from Toronto, grew up a Leafs fan and has a full NMC

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The only way I would pull the deal on a Zadorov deal is if we can get a fair extension out of it. Otherwise I'd go for a more cost efficient option like Andrew Peeke, who's under contract a few more year. He's obviously not as good as Zadorov, but won't deplete our prospect pool to acquire.

Looking beyond this season, Once Nylander and Marner's deal come in (hopefully), we are going to need guys on ELC who can contribute like Minten.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What about Weeger? Leafs take on that contract to give the Flames some flexibility. That term should hopefully bring the price down.

Something like Klingberg + Kampf + Abruzzese + 2024 1st + 2025 3rd?

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Weeger
Gio-Liljegren

If Weegar is remotely available, I think he'd be by far my favourite player to try to get. He would be a good Brodie replacement going into next year as well.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Nikita Zadorov + Rory Kerins
To Calgary: John Klingberg + Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - McCabe
Zadorov - Lagesson/Timmins

Once Liljegren is healthy,

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Zadorov - Lagesson/Giordano/Timmins

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Worth noting that Tavares' contract is up next year and, while he may re-sign, he's clearly aging and the need for a quality top 9 centre increases.

I'd hope you can grow Minten to be able to step into that top 9 role. He won't have the offensive game but he can be an important piece. I.e. if Domi keeps working out and they re-sign him, Minten can be used more in a traditional 3rd line centre role while Domi's line is more offense oriented.

We're all aging, Bert, and I hope we all age as well as JT, because I've never seen him skate as well as he's skating now, and he's presently on pace for 97 points.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
We don’t need hanifin . We need a couple of stay at home shot blocking clear the crease type dmen.
Our goalies give up rebounds like any other goalie but ours ends up in the back of the net because the opposing forwards can go hard to the net without impunity.
I've said before, but the last defenseman I want off of Calgary is Hanafin. Doesn't fit what we need in the slightest.
Don't get this logic.

Yes we need more territorial defence man, similar to what Schenn brought last year, but that can always be acquired for secondary assets (e.g. Zadorov, Peeke) or through FA (e.g. Hakanpaa this summer). It's necessary to win but will move the needle way less than a legit, high quality addition.

If all we do is acquire a "crease clearer" then our top 3 D will remain Rielly, Brodie, McCabe. That is pathetic compared to top contenders like BOS, VGK, TB, COL, CAR, etc. etc.

Prime #2-3's don't shake loose very often. Hanifin is a 26 year old, mobile, two-way transition D that can eat minutes. He'd immediately anchor the 2nd pair and would work well with either of Brodie/Liljegren. You're not finding a high-quality defender that also plays mean (and isn't 30+ years old) without sacrificing a core player or drafting it yourself.

Reactions: CincoHolio

horner

May 22, 2007
Don't get this logic.

Yes we need more territorial defence man, similar to what Schenn brought last year, but that can always be acquired for secondary assets (e.g. Zadorov, Peeke) or through FA (e.g. Hakanpaa this summer). It's necessary to win but will move the needle way less than a legit, high quality addition.

If all we do is acquire a "crease clearer" then our top 3 D will remain Rielly, Brodie, McCabe. That is pathetic compared to top contenders like BOS, VGK, TB, COL, CAR, etc. etc.

Prime #2-3's don't shake loose very often. Hanifin is a 26 year old, mobile, two-way transition D that can eat minutes. He'd immediately anchor the 2nd pair and would work well with either of Brodie/Liljegren. You're not finding a high-quality defender that also plays mean (and isn't 30+ years old) without sacrificing a core player or drafting it yourself.
I would love to see us keep our fist and draft the BPA..
Use a 3rd + a prospect to get a schenn type of dman . We won't get a top pairing dman at the TDL.
We don't have a 1st or 2nd next yr.
Free Agency is where will rebuild our D

Hanifin Pesce Skjie Tanev Demelo Zadorov Dumba Ekman-Larson Sean Walker Hakanpaa

Hanifin 7.5 mil Hakanpaa 3.5 mil
Ljiligren 2.5 mil

Start using our forward prospect to trade for dman prospects

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What about Weeger? Leafs take on that contract to give the Flames some flexibility. That term should hopefully bring the price down.

Something like Klingberg + Kampf + Abruzzese + 2024 1st + 2025 3rd?

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Weeger
Gio-Liljegren
1st + 3rd for Weegar might be in the ballpark of fair.

But then to get rid of Klingberg and Kampf (they are cap dumps) might be a deal breaker here. Maybe we can get them to take Klingberg because he's expiring. Adding Kampf is a bit excessive. Move him in a separate trade.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Use a 3rd + a prospect to get a schenn type of dman . We won't get a top pairing dman at the TDL.

Hanifin Pesce Skjie Tanev Demelo Zadorov Dumba Ekman-Larson Sean Walker Hakanpaa

Ljiligren 2.5 mil

History tells us most of those players won’t make it to free agency. And those that do you’ll most likely have to overpay and count on them wanting to sign here because everyone else also wants them. We may be able to add to the D through free agency, but it’s hard to plan for.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Ljiligren 2.5 mil

Hanifin or Forsling in UFA would obviously be a dream outcome, but the likelihood of that happening is slim and you can't bank on it.

Both guys are/were reportedly in talks of extensions. Hanifin will almost certainly be traded with a verbal extension in place.

UFA is full of stop-gap bandaid solutions. The last time management traded for an impact defensemen was Jan 2019 for Muzzin and it revamped the entire blueline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad