Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IMO, the best defender on the NYI is Adam Pelech. He is probably a top five defensive D, in the league. Of course, he's a LD, and our needs are more for a RD, but Pelech would be a great addition, and is signed to a great contract for years. I see no reason why the Islanders would move him though.

If I could build an ideal D core... it would look like this.

Rielly Larsson/Weegar
Pelech Lilly
Zadorov/McCabe Timmins(assuming he could stay healthy)/Niemela

Cap would be an issue of course... but it gives you a puck mover on each line, gives you defensive strength, size, physicality, PP and PK abilities in a few guys.

I'd also find a way to trade for Roman Schmidt. I think in 3 years, he'll join Tampa, and be a bit of a defensive force on the back end, and is RD.

Nikishin and Morrow on Carolina...getting either one would be shrewd but I am sure they know what they have.

Pelech...would bump McCabe to the 3rd pairing, a spot he can win his minutes handily versus being borderline 2nd pairing.

Reactions: arso40

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He had no issue rebuilding here.
GM's are under the Owners mandate, I doubt very much he enjoys mediocrity.

I think it's two different situations. He was coming in on the ground floor here and was able to he had carte blanche to make the roster how he wanted. He came in, and essentially clears out the old guard by trading Phaneuf and then drafts Marner, Matthews, etc.

If you're an owner for the Islanders, it would be tough to ask 81 year old Lou to re-shape their franchise. They should ask him to become an advsior.

My guess is that they would ask for Liljegren in any trade scenario.

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We don’t need hanifin . We need a couple of enough cat home shot blocking clear the crease type dmen.
Our goalies give up rebounds like any other goalie but ours ends up in the back of the net because the opposing forwards can go hard to the net without impunity.

Then we get nothing offensively on the backend apart from Rielly, which isn't good enough come playoff time

We need a balance of offense and defense or were going to have the same problems we've had recently

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Then we get nothing offensively on the backend apart from Rielly, which isn't good enough come playoff time

We need a balance of offense and defense or were going to have the same problems we've had recently

Agreed - you need to find a really good 2-way guy.

Example, in Vegas they have Theodore that drives a lot of offense but Pietrangelo is no slouch in that department while at the same time, provides fantastic defense.

I was kinda hoping Liljegren would bring that, especially after the World Championships where it seemed like he was really putting up the points for Sweden.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the Isles don't rebuild, they will be stuck in no man's land. The team has no upside.

They are the definition of average and mediocre. Too many dead weight players and contracts, not enough quality at the top of the lineup.

They can probably do a retool around Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal and probably Pelech and Pulock, but it will take some serious GMing to accomplish and Lamoriello ain't it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They are the definition of average and mediocre. Too many dead weight players and contracts, not enough quality at the top of the lineup.

They can probably do a retool around Horvat, Sorokin, Barzal and probably Pelech and Pulock, but it will take some serious GMing to accomplish and Lamoriello ain't it.
Such a hard lineup to even address anything. No real cap flexibility, a lot of long-term contracts, often for mediocre players. Often in this spot, you'd sell off your UFA's for picks, and rebuild/retool that way... but the UFA's this year are Martin, Clutterbuck and AHO the D man. The year after that, is Palmieri and Nelson at 34 years of age. So what exactly could you get back for these guys?

They've kind of made their bed, and that's it for half a decade at least.... Seems unlikely Lou will be around for that.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd imagine the Isles will avoid any retool attempts for at least the next couple seasons - it seems as if Lou received a 3 year extension this summer (unless I misread). He's not spending his remainder of his career not trying to push for the playoffs

Reactions: Buds17

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd imagine the Isles will avoid any retool attempts for at least the next couple seasons - it seems as if Lou received a 3 year extension this summer (unless I misread). He's not spending his remainder of his career not trying to push for the playoffs

The Isles actually have a nice core group to build around but they need more legit top line forwards.

Unfortunately they have many multi-year bloated deals that make it hard to build around a core.

Even when Nelson and Palmieri’s deals expire in 2 years, Dobson and Romanov will need raises.

If a guy like Marner would agree to an extension with the Isles, would a deal around Pulock could make sense? Marner is a better player but Pulock’s contract is better

To offset cap, the Leafs could take on one of the bloated expiring contracts like Palmieri, Nelson, or Pageau with other pieces or picks balancing out the value.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Isles actually have a nice core group to build around but they need more legit top line forwards.

Unfortunately they have many multi-year bloated deals that make it hard to build around a core.

Even when Nelson and Palmieri’s deals expire in 2 years, Dobson and Romanov will need raises.

If a guy like Marner would agree to an extension with the Isles, would a deal around Pulock could make sense? Marner is a better player but Pulock’s contract is better

To offset cap, the Leafs could take on one of the bloated expiring contracts like Palmieri, Nelson, or Pageau with other pieces or picks balancing out the value.

Nelson is actually a pretty great 2C but Pulock wouldn't be appealing enough for me.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I want to preface this by saying that I want Willy to resign and that he's my favorite forward.

Let's say Tre see's the writing on the wall and knows that he won't be able to sign Willy.

Nylander with deal worked out with Nashville

For

Saros with 50% retention

The way I look at it is that I would rather have a bonefide #1 goalie in his prime for 2 playoffs than a play driving, 40 goal scoring 1RW for 1 playoffs.

Thoughts?

horner

May 22, 2007
I want to preface this by saying that I want Willy to resign and that he's my favorite forward.

Let's say Tre see's the writing on the wall and knows that he won't be able to sign Willy.

For

Saros with 50% retention

The way I look at it is that I would rather have a bonefide #1 goalie in his prime for 2 playoffs than a play driving, 40 goal scoring 1RW for 1 playoffs.

Thoughts?
Would you play for Nashville
10.5 mil Willy is going nowhere.

horner

May 22, 2007

For

Saros with 50% retention

Thoughts?
If we don't fix the defense Saros won't look that great for us.
Saros plays behind a pretty good defense.

Mathews Marner and Nylander aren't going anywhere unless they ask for a trade.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed - you need to find a really good 2-way guy.

Example, in Vegas they have Theodore that drives a lot of offense but Pietrangelo is no slouch in that department while at the same time, provides fantastic defense.

I was kinda hoping Liljegren would bring that, especially after the World Championships where it seemed like he was really putting up the points for Sweden.

I think Liljegren can do that but we need the right partner for him, leading the rush and pushing the offense is fine if his partner can do what Brodie does for Mo

It gets ugly fast if they can't, McCabe is a defense first player but I don't know if I trust him to that degree

That's why I'd favor Hanifin over Tanev or Zadorov

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
IMO, the best defender on the NYI is Adam Pelech. He is probably a top five defensive D, in the league. Of course, he's a LD, and our needs are more for a RD, but Pelech would be a great addition, and is signed to a great contract for years. I see no reason why the Islanders would move him though.

If I could build an ideal D core... it would look like this.

Rielly Larsson/Weegar
Pelech Lilly
Zadorov/McCabe Timmins(assuming he could stay healthy)/Niemela

Cap would be an issue of course... but it gives you a puck mover on each line, gives you defensive strength, size, physicality, PP and PK abilities in a few guys.

I'd also find a way to trade for Roman Schmidt. I think in 3 years, he'll join Tampa, and be a bit of a defensive force on the back end, and is RD.

instead, just take my likes for this :cry:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pulock would be a great addition and someone I would move our 1st and Minten for.

To Toronto: Ryan Pulock
To Islanders: TJ Brodie + Fraser Minten + 1st Rounder

Then…

To Toronto: Nikita Zadorov
To Calgary: John Klingberg + Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen

Rielly - Pulock
McCabe - Liljegren
Zadorov - Lagesson
Giordano

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Pulock would be a great addition and someone I would move our 1st and Minten for.

To Toronto: Ryan Pulock
To Islanders: TJ Brodie + Fraser Minten + 1st Rounder

Then…

To Toronto: Nikita Zadorov
To Calgary: John Klingberg + Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen

Rielly - Pulock
McCabe - Liljegren
Zadorov - Lagesson
Giordano

Personally, I don't see the Leafs including Brodie in any trades. If anything they just let him walk at the end of the year.

He's been good for the team, he's consistent and he's a low maintenance player. It would be tough to remove that from the line-up, even with getting Pulock.

I'm also not sure if Liljegren comes back anytime soon. The way the media is talking is he's expected out a long time. If salary is concern, I'd move Klingberg in that trade and a deal with Timmins going to Calgary, with conditional picks.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Based on the the team construction and the players they have in the pipeline, the priority has to be a top 4 D.

I am not extending Bertuzzi even if he turns it around. You got potentially Marner, Nylander (assuming he is extended), Jarnkok, Kniews, and Robertson already occupying 5 of the top 6 wing spots, and Cowan/Grebenkin in the pipeline for potentially 2025/2026. No point tieing up more cap in wingers long term. Just sign a cheap top 9 winger next year on a 1 year deal, or give Steeves a shot..

Then at C, you got Matthews and Tavares (who will likely extend at a cheaper salary). Domi has turned it around but this is a position that could be upgraded depending on what is available, or they just pencil in Minten at a cheap amount and spend elsewhere.

In reality, they are probably best served by getting 2 Top 4 D, and cheapening out on the forwards until some youngsters arrive the following year.

The wild card is the goalie position.

Last edited:

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I'm guessing the trade with Calgary ends up being something like Zadorov (50% retained) and Tanev (50% retained) for Klingberg, Minten, Abruzzese and Calgary's choice between the Leafs 2026 3rd and 2027 2nd (obviously Calgary chooses the 2nd but the Leafs can't outright trade that 2nd yet because it's too far out).

I doubt the Leafs give up a 1st if Minten is involved, which it seems like he might be if the trade is for both Zadorov and Tanev.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Minten is a straight B prospect not a guy you keep off the table

He overperformed in the preaseason then was invisible in the NHL stint

He is a a likely 3rd liner. Keep the 1st and you get a shot at another Cowan

It's more than likely a pick In the 20's, if the player isn't a bust which is a big if that player is going to be years away from helping the team

Trading Minten instead of our 1st rounder is a spectacularly bad idea, especially when we already lack centers on the team and in the minors

Reactions: kb

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Lili is an offensive guy if he's given the chance to play that role on his pair. That's why if you can find a way to get Tanev and Zadorov and keep Brodie then I think our D core looks pretty good.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-Lili
Zadorov-Timmins/Gio

You need goals you pair Rielly and Lili. You need to shut shit down you pair Tanev and Brodie. Zadorov can help clear the crease on the PK even though Brodie and Tanev would be that top pair. All of them can move the puck as well even though they are more known for their defence.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Lili is an offensive guy if he's given the chance to play that role on his pair. That's why if you can find a way to get Tanev and Zadorov and keep Brodie then I think our D core looks pretty good.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-Lili
Zadorov-Timmins/Gio

You need goals you pair Rielly and Lili. You need to shut shit down you pair Tanev and Brodie. Zadorov can help clear the crease on the PK even though Brodie and Tanev would be that top pair. All of them can move the puck as well even though they are more known for their defence.
I don’t think you need zadorov at that price if you get tanev

Reactions: Rocker13 and Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad