Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Getting Kane wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, depending on the contract ofc. Something like:

Knies - Matthews - Kane
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
McMann/Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok
In this scenario hopefully Kane comes with a bucket for the tears Marner sheds not getting to play with Matthews every shift

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He has 9 hits this year. Just because he gets an opportunistic hit on a highlight reel every 5-10 games doesn’t mean he’s playing with intensity every shift, he takes a lot of shifts off. He was never a great skater and is only going to take more hooking/interference calls as he slows down in his 30s, between his reputation with the refs and our atrocious PK that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

He also leads that team in scoring right now with a 6.5 shooting percentage. He's never been a big hitter, but we all know how intense he can get with some big hits and when the game is on the line. He was great for the Avs in their cup run. Hits aren't the only factor here. You have to factor the cap hit and his offensive game in there. We're talking about a 3.5M center, not 7M.

Find me a 3.5M center that can be more efficient than him I'm all ears. The big problem is that unless they are desperate to rebuild, they aren't retaining 50% and that's about the only way I'd want him because that term is really not good. This is all very unlikely but maybe in the off-season things can change.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
On the Leaf Report podcast they mentioned the Flames rumours. And that you'd hope to extend the player you get back. So it was brought up, would you rather sign an aging Tanev, Zadorov who may want $5M or Hanifin at $7.5M.

Hanifin was the agreed upon choice in that scenario and I agree. If the Leafs need to pay up for those pending UFAs and need to add on for retention and to take on Klingberg, I'd rather pay up a little more and get the best player.

Get Hanifin on an extension then pay a 3rd at the deadline for another piece if need be a la Schenn last year, rather than going for both Zadorov and Tanev. Like if we are talking a 1st and Minten, it better be an extended Hanifin.

My only thing with Hanifin is that he's not right handed and as far as I know, he doesn't play his off side. McCabe doesn't play his off-side. Rielly doesn't do great on his off-side either. So we would be adding an expensive player to a left side already very strong.

It's probably not a big deal since you're getting a really good player and you can probably load the pairings when needed, but this is why to me Tanev fits quite a bit that need.

There's also speculation he'd rather play in the US.

Reactions: arso40

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hanifin turnkng down 7.5 a year is crazy lol

I guess he's thinking he can land in Florida or Arizona and take less and still make roughly the same after taxes.

Reactions: uncleben

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He also leads that team in scoring right now with a 6.5 shooting percentage. He's never been a big hitter, but we all know how intense he can get with some big hits and when the game is on the line. He was great for the Avs in their cup run. Hits aren't the only factor here. You have to factor the cap hit and his offensive game in there. We're talking about a 3.5M center, not 7M.

Find me a 3.5M center that can be more efficient than him I'm all ears. The big problem is that unless they are desperate to rebuild, they aren't retaining 50% and that's about the only way I'd want him because that term is really not good. This is all very unlikely but maybe in the off-season things can change.

Our current 3C is tied for points with him at 3mil with less TOI and no 1st unit PP time lol

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My only thing with Hanifin is that he's not right handed and as far as I know, he doesn't play his off side. McCabe doesn't play his off-side. Rielly doesn't do great on his off-side either. So we would be adding an expensive player to a left side already very strong.

It's probably not a big deal since you're getting a really good player and you can probably load the pairings when needed, but this is why to me Tanev fits quite a bit that need.

With the sides, I think at that point you either try Gio on the right or you also eventually have that hard convo that we all know will come. He's had a great career and has been a great soldier, but if there is better, I think you need to jump on it rather than try to accommodate him. He may just need to become the 7th dman at that point.

And the US thing is probably a barrier, though up until a couple weeks ago, speculation was he was ready to sign an extension in Calgary. So if he's willing there, why not here?

Another thing that was mentioned was most teams do have more than one dman making over $5M. It shouldn't be an issue that the Leafs have two at $7.5M in terms of quality but also cap. Klingberg and Brodie alone frees up over $9M to allocate to the back end.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Our current 3C is tied for points with him at 3mil with less TOI and no 1st unit PP time lol

Goes to show how badly that team is performing. I think at 3.5M I'd rather Kadri over Domi, but Domi has performed well in a lesser role. No goals though.

At the end of the day, none of this will happen so it's all moot.

With the sides, I think at that point you either try Gio on the right or you also eventually have that hard convo that we all know will come. He's had a great career and has been a great soldier, but if there is better, I think you need to jump on it rather than try to accommodate him. He may just need to become the 7th dman at that point.

And the US thing is probably a barrier, though up until a couple weeks ago, speculation was he was ready to sign an extension in Calgary. So if he's willing there, why not here?

Another thing that was mentioned was most teams do have more than one dman making over $5M. It shouldn't be an issue that the Leafs have two at $7.5M in terms of quality but also cap. Klingberg and Brodie alone frees up over $9M to allocate to the back end.

Giordano will do whatever for the team, even plays the right well enough. But the one thing I don't think they'll do is sit him out. He's played well as well. So he'll play.

But I agree with everything else. I think he's clearly the better overall defenseman and he'd be a big boost to this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judas Tavares

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

With that left side you would hope those guys could carry less than ideal partners if need be

Liljegren and Brodie would look pretty tidy beside Mo and Hanifin I'd imagine

Also means McCabe can help stabilize the bottom pair with a youngster beside him in an ideal world

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I've said before, but the last defenseman I want off of Calgary is Hanafin. Doesn't fit what we need in the slightest.

It also doesn't make sense in how Treliving has approached trying to build up the defense.

Signing Benoit & Klingberg and then asking for Desharnais in a trade before they shipped Lafferty off to Vancouver.

I would think that it's just Zadorov, but it also depends on how long Liljegren is gone for.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hanifin I think is the better long term option for contract but Tanev/Zadorov check a lot of other boxes for rentals.

Reactions: arso40

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Isles are struggling right now.. another team to watch as the season goes on, with no much cap room, and some interesting d-men to note.
Aside from Lou locking up half the team in the off-season, which defender do you think would be of most interest for the Leafs? Pulock would be the only guy I would give up significant assets for.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Aside from Lou locking up half the team in the off-season, which defender do you think would be of most interest for the Leafs? Pulock would be the only guy I would give up significant assets for.
Perfect wonder what his price is

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Pulock for sure.. doubt they'd move Dobson but he'll get a big raise soon.

I was going to say Mayfield would be a good add but then noticed the term on his deal... That's a maybe.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I was going to say Mayfield would be a good add but then noticed the term on his deal... That's a maybe.

Dobson gets a raise in 2025 which is the same year Tavares deal expires.
The discussion is probably pointless since he is probably untouchable being only 23.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Only problem is if lily is your dman do you locc up another left shot dman 4 7 mill and then trade him?

horner

May 22, 2007
Goes to show how badly that team is performing. I think at 3.5M I'd rather Kadri over Domi, but Domi has performed well in a lesser role. No goals though.

At the end of the day, none of this will happen so it's all moot.

Giordano will do whatever for the team, even plays the right well enough. But the one thing I don't think they'll do is sit him out. He's played well as well. So he'll play.

But I agree with everything else. I think he's clearly the better overall defenseman and he'd be a big boost to this team.
We need to find a younger Gio.
He will block any shot stands up for teammates gets involved physically.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Problem with any trade is, I don't see Lou wanting to rebuild. He'd rather enjoy mediocrity and be old school than adapt and get scoring.

If Pulock is moved out, Dobson effectively becomes that next guy up.

Reactions: Kurtz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Problem with any trade is, I don't see Lou wanting to rebuild. He'd rather enjoy mediocrity and be old school than adapt and get scoring.

If Pulock is moved out, Dobson effectively becomes that next guy up.
He had no issue rebuilding here.
GM's are under the Owners mandate, I doubt very much he enjoys mediocrity.

horner

May 22, 2007
He had no issue rebuilding here.
GM's are under the Owners mandate, I doubt very much he enjoys mediocrity.
97 point pace to reach 94 point
Any team under .500 % they probably won't make the playoffs .

Minny
Seattle
Calgary
Ottawa
Buffalo
Columas
Nashville OReilly and SchennI hope the food is good because playoffs are years away.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

IMO, the best defender on the NYI is Adam Pelech. He is probably a top five defensive D, in the league. Of course, he's a LD, and our needs are more for a RD, but Pelech would be a great addition, and is signed to a great contract for years. I see no reason why the Islanders would move him though.

If I could build an ideal D core... it would look like this.

Rielly Larsson/Weegar
Pelech Lilly
Zadorov/McCabe Timmins(assuming he could stay healthy)/Niemela

Cap would be an issue of course... but it gives you a puck mover on each line, gives you defensive strength, size, physicality, PP and PK abilities in a few guys.

I'd also find a way to trade for Roman Schmidt. I think in 3 years, he'll join Tampa, and be a bit of a defensive force on the back end, and is RD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Rocket and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad