Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kane will be interesting as I do think Toews will follow him. Having Toews as 4C will be interesting

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
You do realize that players do see that as the team giving up on this year. Platers see deadline acquisitions as the organization having faith in them and no deadline acquisitions as a lack of faith. Even more so, doing so to make a theoretical future team better would be seen as an even bigger lack of faith. Lots of things can happen between seasons. Any given season could theoretically be the last season that a team is competitive for quite a while.

In fact, if a good team is not going to make significant adds at the deadline, I can't help but wonder if they shouldn't just give up on the season and put all their upcoming UFAs on the market. I mean, think of it, what if the Leafs not only did not spend at the deadline, but added assets for Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, and maybe Nylander?

I'm not saying that I want Leafs to do that but I am sure that some here would.

that's ridiculous to say that if a team doesn't add at the deadline that the players see that as a lack of faith but lets be honest why should our management have faith in these guys? maybe that's the kick in the ass that they need.

and in a previous post I suggested that I would look to move some of the up coming UFA's if there was a solid asset coming back. like I wouldn't move Klingberg for a 6th round pick as an example but if someone was willing to move a 2nd round or more for Brodie or Domi or Samsonov(assuming Woll is playing well) I would certainly look to make that move to allow be to accrue assets moving forward to remake our defense or fill that third line center.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kane is the last thing this team needs
He did have 92 points just two years ago and almost 60 on one leg last year. If the price is right and you're confident he can skate better you absolutely take a flyer on him. Could be great for Robertson to have a playmaker like that on his wing for a year, should open up a tonne of space for him on the ice. You likely need to dump Kampf and Reaves to make it happen though

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Kane
Gregor-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Mcmann/Steeves

Looks great to me. Just need to work on the defense now.

Reactions: peconcan

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I'll take Kadri back, at 50% retention and the only thing going back is Klingberg, lol.

I don't know if I like Kane coming here, because it definitely means Jarnkrok gets moved and he is really good in his role and his contract gets better and better as the cap goes up.

Reactions: meefer

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He did have 92 points just two years ago and almost 60 on one leg last year. If the price is right and you're confident he can skate better you absolutely take a flyer on him. Could be great for Robertson to have a playmaker like that on his wing for a year, should open up a tonne of space for him on the ice. You likely need to dump Kampf and Reaves to make it happen though

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Kane
Gregor-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Mcmann/Steeves

Looks great to me. Just need to work on the defense now.
But you're not signing Kane of 2 years ago, you'd be signing a 35 year old who's trying to make a comeback from a major surgery that players don't come back from. Look at Klingberg as a cautionary tale for why you shouldn't bet on player to overcome their injury problems and regain their prime form, and how detrimental it can be to bring in another player that can't defend

Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kane at $1mil or below, sure. Above forget it.

Leafs wouldn’t take Kadri back if he was 50% retained and free. At least as long as Shanahan is in charge. They had too many issues with him.

Our focus should be on D, though as I’ve said before, I’d look at signing Comtois to a NHL League min as well.

Reactions: LeafSteel

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If the Islanders continue to play poorly, I wonder what it would take to acquire Pulock.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I like Patty Kane but it seems very weird and a terrible fit for our needs. Treliving has a reputation of being involved in everything, which is good, but with a little more common sense I think it's easy to see how Kane to the Leafs doesn't work or make sense. He wouldn't even be on the #1PP. He would have to take around or below 1M and he'd have to play some lower end minutes. His hip surgery is one of the hardest to get over and rehab from, many players retire from it.

Kane at $1mil or below, sure. Above forget it.

Leafs wouldn’t take Kadri back if he was 50% retained and free. At least as long as Shanahan is in charge. They had too many issues with him.

Our focus should be on D, though as I’ve said before, I’d look at signing Comtois to a NHL League min as well.
Kadri’s contract is awful. Hard pass.

I disagree. I think they'd take him at 50% and basically given away, similar to Johansen to the Avalanche. Anything else than 50% retention though I don't think you're doing it. I don't think Shanahan minds at all and I think they regret quite a bit having to trade him due to a few reasons.

He's the kind of player that will definitely play with purpose and at 3.5M with a rising cap, I think he'll outperform that quite a bit on a better team. I'd be ecstatic with Kadri at 50% back in Toronto personally. Cup experience, plays with jam and intensity this team needs more of. The problem is that there's no way the Flames retain 50% for 6 years just to give him away.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Sorry. don't know how this got included. oops.

But you're not signing Kane of 2 years ago, you'd be signing a 35 year old who's trying to make a comeback from a major surgery that players don't come back from. Look at Klingberg as a cautionary tale for why you shouldn't bet on player to overcome their injury problems and regain their prime form, and how detrimental it can be to bring in another player that can't defend
Simply a question, as I know nothing, but I believe Kane has been rehabbing in the TO area. If true does it open up the chance of the Leafs pre-scouting him to see if he has overcome?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah I like Patty Kane but it seems very weird and a terrible fit for our needs. Treliving has a reputation of being involved in everything, which is good, but with a little more common sense I think it's easy to see how Kane to the Leafs doesn't work or make sense. He wouldn't even be on the #1PP. He would have to take around or below 1M and he'd have to play some lower end minutes. His hip surgery is one of the hardest to get over and rehab from, many players retire from it.

I disagree. I think they'd take him at 50% and basically given away, similar to Johansen to the Avalanche. Anything else than 50% retention though I think you're not doing it. I don't think Shanahan minds at all and I think they regret quite a bit having to trade him due to a few reasons.

He's the kind of player that will definitely play with purpose and at 3.5M with a rising cap, I think he'll outperform that quite a bit on a better team. I'd be ecstatic with Kadri at 50% back in Toronto personally. Cup experience, plays with jam and intensity this team needs more of. The problem is that there's no way the Flames retain 50% for 6 years just to give him away.

You can disagree, and I would consider taking him back, I just don't see Shanahan and co. taking him back, after all of the problems. Keep in mind he had run ins with every coach here, was late for meetings, practise, internally suspended, called out publicly for being immature, had his parents in the office... and they just couldn't take any more and he was out the door. To this day, he doesn't take any responsibility for what happened here, so I don't see why they would take him back.

Simply a question, as I know nothing, but I believe Kane has been rehabbing in the TO area. If true does it open up the chance of the Leafs pre-scouting him to see if he has overcome?

I think it would be a pretty normal course of action for him to be scouted, by anyone and everyone... skate, fitness, see the team doctors....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can disagree, and I would consider taking him back, I just don't see Shanahan and co. taking him back, after all of the problems. Keep in mind he had run ins with every coach here, was late for meetings, practise, internally suspended, called out publicly for being immature, had his parents in the office... and they just couldn't take any more and he was out the door. To this day, he doesn't take any responsibility for what happened here, so I don't see why they would take him back.

I think time heals and Kadri's play off and on the ice has been damn good for a very long time. He's got a cup ring now, Shahanan doesn't (as an exec). He's grown a lot as a player off and on the ice. Kadri stayed here for years even after being suspended. It's not like they shipped him out right away. I think that if the Leafs have a chance to get him back at a discount, they'll do it and they should do it.

Nothing suggests that there was such animosity between Kadri and Shanahan other than stuff that was dealt with at the time. I googled quite a bit and see nothing of note there.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any team interested would go and have a look.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I disagree. I think they'd take him at 50% and basically given away, similar to Johansen to the Avalanche. Anything else than 50% retention though I don't think you're doing it. I don't think Shanahan minds at all and I think they regret quite a bit having to trade him due to a few reasons.

Retention on Johansen's deal works out to 4M x 2 though. In comparison, Kadri's would hypothetically amount to 3.5M x 5. Calgary might not be giving Kadri away quite as easily with that kind of commitment left behind on its cap.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Kadri had 87 points in 71 games just 2 years ago. Last year wasn't so bad either. He also loves Toronto...you can tell this is where his heart is at. He is physical, filled with snot, and a passionate leader. He is a C who can playthe 2/3rd line spot and can even replace Tavares if we end up dropping Tavares and his salary. At the right price (and retention), f***ing right I'd consider him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad