Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Looking for thoughts of hockey people that are more informed then myself

To Toronto: Hoffman + Blackwood
To SJ: kling + samsonov+ ?
No thanks, Hoffman is a disaster this season. Goal scorer who has 0 goals and only 1 assist in 14 games.

Make it Ferraro + Blackwood for Kling + Samsonov and I’d be interested. Retention on Ferraro and Leafs will add.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Looking for thoughts of hockey people that are more informed then myself

To Toronto: Hoffman + Blackwood
To SJ: kling + samsonov+ ?
I'd rather not have Toronto evidently diminish this season's team (going from Klingberg to Hoffman) at the cost of only potentially improving next season's goaltending situation (exchanging pending UFA Samsonov for an 'already under contract' Blackwood).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
yea I know we do my point is we should be looking to draft with it this year not give up assets to improve at the deadline. we've done that for at least 5-7 years lets take a year off. we have what 32 million in cap space this summer. I would rather wait or even sell to recoup assets this year. reload for next year with hopefully a better Knies/Robertson/Woll and then we can resume our quest for the cup. that doesn't mean we give up this year. just saying go with the team we already have.
You do realize that players do see that as the team giving up on this year. Platers see deadline acquisitions as the organization having faith in them and no deadline acquisitions as a lack of faith. Even more so, doing so to make a theoretical future team better would be seen as an even bigger lack of faith. Lots of things can happen between seasons. Any given season could theoretically be the last season that a team is competitive for quite a while.

In fact, if a good team is not going to make significant adds at the deadline, I can't help but wonder if they shouldn't just give up on the season and put all their upcoming UFAs on the market. I mean, think of it, what if the Leafs not only did not spend at the deadline, but added assets for Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, and maybe Nylander?

I'm not saying that I want Leafs to do that but I am sure that some here would.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You do realize that players do see that as the team giving up on this year. Platers see deadline acquisitions as the organization having faith in them and no deadline acquisitions as a lack of faith. Even more so, doing so to make a theoretical future team better would be seen as an even bigger lack of faith. Lots of things can happen between seasons. Any given season could theoretically be the last season that a team is competitive for quite a while.

In fact, if a good team is not going to make significant adds at the deadline, I can't help but wonder if they shouldn't just give up on the season and put all their upcoming UFAs on the market. I mean, think of it, what if the Leafs not only did not spend at the deadline, but added assets for Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, and maybe Nylander?

I'm not saying that I want Leafs to do that but I am sure that some here would.
I think Treliving will actually be more aggressive this season than Dubas was last season. I'm sure he feels enormous pressure to exceed his predecessor's results. I would be shocked if Minten and the 2024 first round pick remain Leaf assets past the trade deadline.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Treliving will actually be more aggressive this season than Dubas was last season. I'm sure he feels enormous pressure to exceed his predecessor's results. I would be shocked if Minten and the 2024 first round pick remain Leaf assets past the trade deadline.

I see it different. I see Treliving being passive for a few different reasons. The main reason is that this team has no cap space so any trade will be a nightmare to get done because it will have to be money in and money out, so that means a lot more roster turnover if you want to add.

Right now the only player that can be flipped an upgrade is Klingberg. Kampf might be another. Reaves can be waived but won't be. What else? Unless there's a LTIR for the season, I don't think there's much room to maneuver.

I don't think any contending team should want to keep their first rounder so if there's a way for the Leafs to add a big piece, they definitely should not be keeping late first round picks. Prospects have a wild range of value, so that depends entirely on the player.

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I see it different. I see Treliving as being more passive for a few different reasons. The main reason is that this team has no cap space so any trade will be a nightmare to get done because it will have to be money in and money out, so that means a lot more roster turnover if you want to add.

Right now the only player that can be flipped an upgrade is Klingberg. Kampf might be another. Reaves can be waived but won't be. What else? Unless there's a LTIR for the season, I don't think there's much room to maneuver.

I don't think any contending team should want to keep their first rounder so if there's a way for the Leafs to add a big piece, they definitely should not be keeping late first round picks. Prospects have a wild range of value, so that depends entirely on the player.
I wouldn't be so sure about Reaves not being waived. For some reason, I don't think his attitude is much appreciated in the locker room. Giordano said something during his interview that I thought was pretty telling. He said you can't just be a guy barking from the bench without doing anything. I think that was a shot at Reaves after the whole Marchand incident. Not to mention, Reaves was then sat out for McMann who then got 2 points in his first game and the 4th line actually looked great.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't be so sure about Reaves not being waived. For some reason, I don't think his attitude is much appreciated in the locker room. Giordano said something during his interview that I thought was pretty telling. He said you can't just be a guy barking from the bench without doing anything. I think that was a shot at Reaves after the whole Marchand incident.

Maybe so. The extra 1.1M might be needed at some point so maybe that's where they get it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: LeafParade

horner

May 22, 2007
Maybe so. The extra 1.1M might be needed at some point so maybe that's where they get it. I'll believe it when I see it.
In the new year

I don't think minten is going nowhere.
They don't have a ton of centers he could be the 3rd line center next yr.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think this is sort of a reset, evaluation year for the GM.
Of course that could change if this team shows itself to be a legit contender.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Of course that could change if this team shows itself to be a legit contender.
It is a legit contender. Take a look around the league - there are no dynasties floating around anymore. It will be a coin flip to see who wins the Cup this season. Are the Leafs any less a contender than the Rangers, Stars, Avalanche, Bruins, etc.?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It is a legit contender. Take a look around the league - there are no dynasties floating around anymore. It will be a coin flip to see who wins the Cup this season. Are the Leafs any less a contender than the Rangers, Stars, Avalanche, Bruins, etc.?
We'll have a better answer to that question closer to the deadline.

Reactions: 1specter

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Summer is a long time away but Tomas Novak on Nashville seems like he could be a sneaky good at centre if he actually hits UFA.

Reactions: uncleben

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m not really down for the Z and Tanev package rumours.

I would go for Hannafin if he would sign or Ferraro etc.

If we insist on that route. We would have have to

Trade Lilly/klingberg plus assets for

Z and Taney at 50%

That would leave.

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Bert. Tavares. Nylander
Robby. Domi. Jarnkrok
Holm. Kampf. Reaves

Reilly. Brodie
McCabe tanev
Gio. Zadorov

I think if healthy that’s a good team.

I would go a different route

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I see it different. I see Treliving being passive for a few different reasons. The main reason is that this team has no cap space so any trade will be a nightmare to get done because it will have to be money in and money out, so that means a lot more roster turnover if you want to add.

It in part depends on how attached Tre is to Klingberg or Brodie come the tdl. And if the Leafs are willing to pay the extra price for 3rd party retention.

Not sure if it'll be this tdl or the summer, but I'm not expecting the Leafs to keep more than 1 of their next 3 1st round picks

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Blackwood was a pretty decent goalie on some weak NJ teams but he inexplicably sucked on last year's 52 win club. Now those guys who mowed his grass are on hard times too so maybe the Devils D was not all that much of a wall after all. But Sammy's chances of a bounce back are a better risk to me than trying to solve your issue with a 4.00 ga replacement. If you make a move, make a stronger one than that. And I wouldn't throw Klinger away yet because his career line says this is the worst stretch he has ever had so why sell when he is waist deep in the sewer?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It in part depends on how attached Tre is to Klingberg or Brodie come the tdl. And if the Leafs are willing to pay the extra price for 3rd party retention.

Not sure if it'll be this tdl or the summer, but I'm not expecting the Leafs to keep more than 1 of their next 3 1st round picks
I am not sure where they thought the right side stability was when they added Klingberg. If they have a top pair rock on the right and a really solid defensive LD to pair with Klinger it makes some sense but the Leafs roster doesn't resemble that. RD was weak in the playoffs in spite of Schenn who individually was great. I don't see an easy solution unless Klingberg and Lilly/Timmins have a monster second half. Lot of hockey to be played thank god so they have the time.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Klingberg + Brodie + Reaves out
Tanev + Zadorov + Kane in

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander