Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The price for Zadorov and Tanev shouldn't include a 1st or Minten. If that's the cost, time to move on. For Hanifin, preferably with an extension, I'd consider it.

The 1st for a rental needs to be avoided, unless you can get one back like the Sandin deal last year.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The price for Zadorov and Tanev shouldn't include a 1st or Minten. If that's the cost, time to move on. For Hanifin, preferably with an extension, I'd move consider it.

The 1st for a rental needs to be avoided, unless you can get one back like the Sandin deal last year.

1st
5th
Hirvonen
Klingberg ($ equalizer)

for Hanifin, ideally with an extension.

if I can't talk extension ahead of time, no thanks.

Reactions: supermann_98

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With an extension, yes I'd absolutely do this. Calgary could probably do somewhat better though.

First name that came to mind for a top 4 defenseman that re-signed almost immediately was Hampus Lindholm

He returned;

Urho Vaakanainen (late 1st rounder, shine had to come off) - maybe a bit better prospect than Hirvonen

John Moore (cap dump)
1st
2nd

The 2nd > 5th round extra pick

John Moore was a cap year dump but John Klingberg, we paid 2M of his 4.15M salary right off the hop as a signing bonus.

I think my package fell short.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
First name that came to mind for a top 4 defenseman that re-signed almost immediately was Hampus Lindholm

He returned;

Urho Vaakanainen (late 1st rounder, shine had to come off) - maybe a bit better prospect than Hirvonen

John Moore (cap dump)
1st
2nd

The 2nd > 5th round extra pick

John Moore was a cap year dump but John Klingberg, we paid 2M of his 4.15M salary right off the hop as a signing bonus.

I think my package fell short.
They stole Lindholm from Anaheim. Unbelievable looking back.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He was on a bad team and statistically he'd been looking on a downward trajectory.

I actually think Lindholm is better than Hanifin.
I'd agree, although Hanifin is younger.

If the Leafs could get Hanifin for a similar package (and get him re-signed), that would be excellent. Wasn't it reported that Hanifin wanted to be a Leaf on his draft day?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd agree, although Hanifin is younger.

If the Leafs could get Hanifin for a similar package (and get him re-signed), that would be excellent. Wasn't it reported that Hanifin wanted to be a Leaf on his draft day?

Yes - he did want to be a Leaf and Babcock wanted him badly.

We made the right choice in the end but I would be okay with him joining us.

I'm wondering if there are any prospects we have that Calgary covets beyond the usual suspects? Or maybe Timmins if he comes back and looks decent?

Overall though, I strongly agree that it makes sense to pay for an extended Hanifin. I think adding a guy like Lybushkin for some grit back there also makes sense.

Rielly-Brodie
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Lybushkin
Gio spare

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yes - he did want to be a Leaf and Babcock wanted him badly.

We made the right choice in the end but I would be okay with him joining us.

I'm wondering if there are any prospects we have that Calgary covets beyond the usual suspects? Or maybe Timmins if he comes back and looks decent?

Overall though, I strongly agree that it makes sense to pay for an extended Hanifin. I think adding a guy like Lybushkin for some grit back there also makes sense.

Rielly-Brodie
Hanifin-Liljegren
McCabe-Lybushkin
Gio spare
Oh, Marner was definitely the right choice. No doubt.

What I meant was there may be interest from Hanifin's end in re-signing with Toronto.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Oh, Marner was definitely the right choice. No doubt.

What I meant was there may be interest from Hanifin's end in re-signing with Toronto.

We seem to be the exception in terms of keeping Americans around or getting them to come here at all.

Kessel, JVR, Gardiner and now Matthews...they all were happy to re-sign here and would have stayed if the $$ made sense at the time.

McCabe was only willing to waive for Toronto, no other Canadian city. Vancouver *should* be be similar but you can get in/out of Toronto really easy between all the different airlines that operate out of Toronto. Vancouver isn't much different in terms of ease of access to America but doesn't seem to be in demand as much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The price for Zadorov and Tanev shouldn't include a 1st or Minten. If that's the cost, time to move on. For Hanifin, preferably with an extension, I'd move consider it.

Yeah agreed. Pay the draft pick and prospect capital but have the foresight to make sure it’s a piece that’s going to be here for multiple seasons.

The Jake Muzzin trade solved something. The cumulative assets that went out for ROR and Foligno didn’t. Love ROR and not so much Foligno but you gotta spend your assets intelligently to keep things rolling.

Reactions: Smif

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Is there any truth to the Zadorov for Minten + Klingberg rumour?

And how do we feel about it?

I'd be pissed

Giving up a prospect that could help as soon as next season on an ECL for a 3rd pairing Dman and to disappear a mistake we shouldn't have made in the first place is unacceptable

Do not trade prospects who can help while Matthew's is on his new deal, we need them

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'd be pissed

Giving up a prospect that could help as soon as next season on an ECL for a 3rd pairing Dman and to disappear a mistake we shouldn't have made in the first place is unacceptable

Do not trade prospects who can help while Matthew's is on his new deal, we need them
exactly cause we gotta pay Willy and we need to offset that with some of the young guys that are ready or close to

Reactions: Rocker13 and Kiwi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is there any truth to the Zadorov for Minten + Klingberg rumour?

And how do we feel about it?

Seems pretty steep to give up a prospect likely an NHLer as early as next season for a pending UFA that has been 3rd pairing for much of his career and doesn't even play the right which is by far our biggest need. But without many picks to play with, we have to dip into the prospect pool.

Lagesson has really relieved a lot of that need from the bottom pairing and depth. Giordano has given everything to the team as well.

The Leafs need to focus their available assets to strengthen their defensive quality, mainly someone that can play the right or preferably right handed and that plays tons of defensive/PK minutes. Zadorov for the price doesn't seem like a great fit, as good he'd be in terms of adding a physical giant.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
1st
5th
Hirvonen
Klingberg ($ equalizer)

for Hanifin, ideally with an extension.

if I can't talk extension ahead of time, no thanks.
I think it’ll take a little more than that. Hanifin would be a great addition though.

To Toronto: Noah Hanifin
To Calgary: 1st Rounder, John Klingberg, Mikko Kokkonen, Brandon Lisowsky

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think it’ll take a little more than that. Hanifin would be a great addition though.

To Toronto: Noah Hanifin
To Calgary: 1st Rounder, John Klingberg, Mikko Kokkonen, Brandon Lisowsky
Calgary presumably won't trade Hanafin until the deadline (why would they trade him before that?), and that at that point the cost will be similar to what every big name deadline acquisition requires.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Here's an off the board trade I'd like to look into.

How about Sean Walker from Philadelphia? Cost would be relatively low, can play both sides of the ice, has excellent advanced stats, 6 points in 15 games and loves to use the body.

With Liljegren out for a few months, he's a guy who can be a reliable guy to rotate in and out of the lineup.

-------

Also at the deadline, we should look to acquire another bottom 6pker, just to rotate in and out with (McMann, Reaves, Robertson etc) depending on opponent. Cal Clutterbuck for example, he's an excellent pker and has been quite good this year. Or Jake Evans from montreal if you want to go the younger route.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Here's an off the board trade I'd like to look into.

How about Sean Walker from Philadelphia? Cost would be relatively low, can play both sides of the ice, has excellent advanced stats, 6 points in 15 games and loves to use the body.

With Liljegren out for a few months, he's a guy who can be a reliable guy to rotate in and out of the lineup.

-------

Also at the deadline, we should look to acquire another bottom 6pker, just to rotate in and out with (McMann, Reaves, Robertson etc) depending on opponent. Cal Clutterbuck for example, he's an excellent pker and has been quite good this year. Or Jake Evans from montreal if you want to go the younger route.
We need neat clearing dman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Nikita Zadorov + 4th Round Draft Pick
To Calgary: John Klingberg + Pontus Holmberg + Mikko Kokkonen

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Zadorov - Lagesson
Giordano

horner

May 22, 2007
if were interested in guys from Calgary just w till the summer, we shouldn't be in a rus ( Stevesh to give up anything of value right now. Especially for someone we can potentially get for just money in the summer
A schenn type of deal iam fine with 3rd + prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad