Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Our RHD is horrible, and looks worse next year.

RHD needs to be addressed before LHD, and all Zadorov and Hanifin are LHD.

Our RHD pipeline was a real blind spot of Dubas. All we have are Liljegren, and our pipeline is Timmins and Niemala.

We currently have Klingberg atinking it up and Brodie playing his offside, earning $5m, a UFA, and not playing as well as seasons past.

Improving our RHD is imperative. Lagers son is proving to be viable LHD depth, as is Benoit.

Any major trades including a 1st has to be for a top 4 RHD who can play heavy minutes with Rielly. Enough p***y-footing around with this. Just get it done already.

We haven't had a bona fide top 4 RHD (that actually shoots right and isnt playing on his offside) since... Kubina?

Our best right shot dmen over the past ~15 years are:

Liljegren
Schenn
Holl
Franson
Polak
Zaitsev
Komisarek
White

Not sure if I'm missing anyone, but I guess Holl was the best of the bunch? He's currently 6th in ice time per game on Detroit among defencemen. Liljegren has a shot at becoming a bona fide top 4 dman and has shown flashes, but certainly hasn't been consistent. He was a healthy scratch for half the playoffs last year.

Point is - at some point, please for the love of god, can we address this?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We haven't had a bona fide top 4 RHD (that actually shoots right and isnt playing on his offside) since... Kubina?

Liljegren
Schenn
Holl
Franson
Polak
Zaitsev
Komisarek
White

Not sure if I'm missing anyone, but I guess Holl was the best of the bunch? He's currently 6th in ice time per game on Detroit among defencemen. Liljegren has a shot at becoming a bona fide top 4 dman and has shown flashes, but certainly hasn't been consistent. He was a healthy scratch for half the playoffs last year.

Dubas had shots at Toews, Weegar, Marino, and always went with LHD playing their offside like Hunwick and Brodie.

Meanwhile teams like LA, Carolina, NJ, Colorado have RHD falling out their beeehinds.

Drives me absolutely nucking futs….

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Liljegren
Schenn
Holl
Franson
Polak
Zaitsev
Komisarek
White

Brodie is a rhd in practice even though he shoots left. He'd be the top of that list in terms of talent.

It's definitely one of the harder positions to fill though, no argument there

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Id target both Tanev and Zadorov from the Flames

Tanev@50% + Zadorov

Minten +2024 1st (top 5 protected goes to 2026 if in top 5) + John Klingberg + Alex Steeves

Idk how flame fans would feel on that. They get a B prospect and a 1st, which is more than enough for Tanev at 50% s a rental, Zadorov basically gets swapped for Klingberg and a potential 4th liner in Steeves, they can look to try and grt Klingberg some pts and then deal him for a 2nd at the deadline

Reactions: Puckstuff

horner

May 22, 2007
Ideally he takes over for Giordano right away. Lol

5 million for a third pairing dman is insane.
Wait until you see the prices this UFA season.
Look at what Schenn got 2.75 mil
I think prices will be up a million from 2 yrs ago with the cap going up.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Tanev@50% + Zadorov

Minten +2024 1st (top 5 protected goes to 2026 if in top 5) + John Klingberg + Alex Steeves

Idk how flame fans would feel on that. They get a B prospect and a 1st, which is more than enough for Tanev at 50% s a rental, Zadorov basically gets swapped for Klingberg and a potential 4th liner in Steeves, they can look to try and grt Klingberg some pts and then deal him for a 2nd at the deadline
Hard pass

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Tanev@50% + Zadorov

I'd do it but It puts us about 900 k over the cap even with Tanev at 50 %.

We could afford one of them though as long as we give up Klingberg.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'd do it but It puts us about 900 k over the cap even with Tanev at 50 %.
Ah dang true

I want to toss in reeves there lol but I know flame fans would bitch about the term left on his deal

Getting tanev + zadorv gives us a very nice defense

Rielly - Tanev
Brodie - Lilijgren
McCabe - Zadorov

Gio
Timmons
Lagesson

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd be calling Carolina asking if they want a mulligan on Orlov. Something around Drury+Orlov+Chatfield for McCabe+Klingberg+Kampf. Carolina gets a 3LD with term and they free up Orlov's money to re-sign Pesce/Skjei next year. They also get an experienced upgrade at 4C. Leafs get a 2LD to anchor their second pair and they get a younger 4C with less money committed. Chatfield can play 3RD or be a healthy scratch.

The trade would cost the Leafs an additional ~900k on the cap.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

Tanev@50% + Zadorov

Steeves is not a legit prospect and will be a career ahler and Klingberg is of negative value.

Reactions: horner

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Tanev
Zadorov

To Calgary-
Brodie
Kampf
Niemela
1st Round Pick

Calgary could then flip Brodie for assets

Defense when healthy

Rielly-Tanev
Zadorov-Liljegren
Lagersson-McCabe
Giordano

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be calling Carolina asking if they want a mulligan on Orlov. Something around Drury+Orlov+Chatfield for McCabe+Klingberg+Kampf. Carolina gets a 3LD with term and they free up Orlov's money to re-sign Pesce/Skjei next year. They also get an experienced upgrade at 4C. Leafs get a 2LD to anchor their second pair and they get a younger 4C with less money committed. Chatfield can play 3RD or be a healthy scratch.

I think we'd need to take DeAngelo in place of Chatfield, they are apparently shopping him.

I think the LD plan for next year has to be Nikishin and RD has Morrow coming.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Ah dang true

I want to toss in reeves there lol but I know flame fans would bitch about the term left on his deal

Getting tanev + zadorv gives us a very nice defense

Rielly - Tanev
Brodie - Lilijgren
McCabe - Zadorov

Gio
Timmons
Lagesson
There are ways to get both Tanev and Zadorov without trading a key piece but we would need to put Reaves in the minors and also move Klingberg (he is expiring so it shouldn't be a problem) and we would need to move Kampf but it might be a little bit harder to move Kampf but it's possible. Or we would need to get a 3rd team involved to get Tanev at 25 %.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Sign will 10x8
Sign Kane
Trade for zadorov

What realistically would zadorov cost
I would go 1st and good prospect kampf/janrok
Not named Robertson minten or Cowan

Knies matthews Kane
Bertuzzi Tavares marner
Robertson domi Willy
Gregor kampf mcmann

Reilly zadorov
McCabe lilly
Brodie klingberg
Gio

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think we'd need to take DeAngelo in place of Chatfield, they are apparently shopping him.

I think the LD plan for next year has to be Nikishin and RD has Morrow coming.
TDA wouldn't work cap wise for the Leafs. They are already taking on an additional 900k in the initial proposal. The report was Carolina wants to move a defenseman, not necessarily only TDA.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

horner

May 22, 2007

Orlov is a -9
For his cap I would expect more from him

Every other Carolina is +2 and up

Didn't check out DeAngelo

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Tanev@50% + Zadorov

Just don’t want to give up the first

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
TDA wouldn't work cap wise for the Leafs. They are already taking on an additional 900k in the initial proposal. The report was Carolina wants to move a defenseman, not necessarily only TDA.

1699828409186.png

I tried to do it, even demoting Reaves too...you'd need to get away from Samsonov essentially.

I think TDA is their primary guy they wanna move from...don't really love Drury either, I would like a more defensive centre but yea, cap says no unless we get creative elsewhere.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Orlov is a -9
For his cap I would expect more from him

Every other Carolina is +2 and up

Didn't check out DeAngelo
Orlov hasn't been great for Carolina which is why I think it may be possible to get him in the deal I proposed. I don't think he's a bad player and I do think he could help Toronto on his current deal in the trade proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad