Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He’s a third pairing physical defenceman. People, especially Leaf fans overrate him due to his hitting highlights.

With Brodie’s contract expiring, I can see him re-signing on a team friendly deal especially with what his wife is going through and I’m sure a world class organization that is swimming in money like the Leafs would do whatever it takes to him his family through a tough time.

If you re-sign Zadorov to a similar 3.75 million per and then Brodie to around 2.5 million per, you have a really good third pairing in Zadorov - Brodie. Zadorov will need someone to cover up his mistakes when he pinches offensively or goes for a big hit.

He's not taking the same contract. He'll easily get around or over 5M on his next contract, probably long-term as well.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I've been extremely impressed with Lagersson. Big guy who can skate, has a good stick and just keeps it simple. He's your perfect 3rd pairing defenseman. Ideally, he takes over for Giordano next year on that bottom pair.
Ideally he takes over for Giordano right away. Lol

He's not taking the same contract. He'll easily get around or over 5M on his next contract, probably long-term as well.
5 million for a third pairing dman is insane.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
5 million for a third pairing dman is insane.

This league can be insane with that stuff. The hope will likely be that he's better than a 3rd pairing guy on the new team.

The cap is rising and there will be interest, contracts are not cheap.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This league can be insane with that stuff. The hope will likely be that he's better than a 3rd pairing guy on the new team.

The cap is rising and there will be interest, contracts are not cheap.
His names worth something with the hits. Like Kasparitis, you'll have someone overvalue and overrate the impact, which will lead to overpayment

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
To Toronto: Nikita Zadorov

To Calgary: John Klingberg + Bobby McMann + 3rd Rounder

I like Zadorov but there’s no way I’d be trading a 1st for him. He’s basically a third pairing physical dman.
McMann was waived and nobody picked him up he has no value, Klingberg has negative value . So your trade proposal makes no sense whatsoever for Calgary.

Reactions: VanW27

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
McMann was waived and nobody picked him up he has no value, Klingberg has negative value . So your trade proposal makes no sense whatsoever for Calgary.
BOGO was waived and nobody picked him up and just got traded. Maybe tonight they showcasing McMann. Who knows.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Four moves:

Waive Samsonov
Waive Reaves
Sign Kane ~$1.5M x 1
Trade: Klingberg, Holmberg, Lagesson, and 3rd Rd for Zadorov and a 4th Rd

Knies Matthews Kane
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Nylander
Jarnkrok Kampf Gregor

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Zadorov
Timmins
Benoit

Woll
Jones
Lagesson stays….

Reactions: rumman and uncleben

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maybe it’s just me but I’d use assets to try and pry Hanifin over Zadorov.

I like zadorov but he can be inconsistent, love his attitude and what he represents though.
We currently know a couple of things about Noah Hanifin's plans going forward:

1. Noah Hanifin is most likely not going to re-sign with the Calgary Flames following the 2023–24 season.

2. Hanifin wants to go back to the United States of America.

You can eliminate all of the Canadian teams, knowing that Noah Hanifin wants to sign with an NHL team which is located in the United States of America once the 2023–24 season is over.

Hanifin has an eight-team no-trade clause, so one could make the rational assumption that all or most of the Canadian teams are on that list.

I think the Toronto Maple Leafs could make some sense, and we know that GM Brad Treliving has expressed interest in Noah Hanifin, Chris Tanev, and Nikita Zadorov during this past summer.

Let us just stick with the current assumption that Noah Hanifin would prefer to stays in the US until we are told otherwise.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We currently know a couple of things about Noah Hanifin's plans going forward:

1. Noah Hanifin is most likely not going to re-sign with the Calgary Flames following the 2023–24 season.

2. Hanifin wants to go back to the United States of America.

You can eliminate all of the Canadian teams, knowing that Noah Hanifin wants to sign with an NHL team which is located in the United States of America once the 2023–24 season is over.

Hanifin has an eight-team no-trade clause, so one could make the rational assumption that all or most of the Canadian teams are on that list.

I think the Toronto Maple Leafs could make some sense, and we know that GM Brad Treliving has expressed interest in Noah Hanifin, Chris Tanev, and Nikita Zadorov during this past summer.

Let us just stick with the current assumption that Noah Hanifin would prefer to stays in the US until we are told otherwise.
Hanifin was actually quite keen on coming to TO at the draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Let's go for a Russian defenseman :)

1699729650833.png

1699729673811.png

I demoted Reaves.

I have no idea if McMann is gonna make that 4th line work and maybe re-evaluate from there.

Unsure if Timmins gets his value up to a 4th either.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Trying to think of a reasonable hockey trade here, what about McCabe for Zadorov as a base?
Lateral move at best.

Both LHD. McCabe at $2.5 with term left.

Zadorov is a UFA after this year. What are you resigning him at?

Gio should not be counted on and should be done after this season and Brodie is also a UFA and showing some decline.

You are practically begging us to bent over a barrel by a UFA Zadorov with that even more paper thin defence if McCabe is moved.

Rielly
McCabe
Zadorov

That should be your LHD.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Maybe it’s just me but I’d use assets to try and pry Hanifin over Zadorov.

I like zadorov but he can be inconsistent, love his attitude and what he represents though.
It would take the moon to pry Hanifin, no? I'm worried enough about what Al Bundy will pay to bring Zadorov here.

I want Andersson. Somebody find a way!
I'm on it !

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
Lateral move at best.

Both LHD. McCabe at $2.5 with term left.

Zadorov is a UFA after this year. What are you resigning him at?

Gio should not be counted on and should be done after this season and Brodie is also a UFA and showing some decline.

You are practically begging us to bent over a barrel by a UFA Zadorov with that even more paper thin defence if McCabe is moved.

Rielly
McCabe
Zadorov

That should be your LHD.
We don't really have the assets or cap space this year to make a big play like Hanifin. So we make a smaller hockey move and give a guy like Zadorov a chance - see what he is, a top 4 guy, or a bottom pair guy. If he's bottom pair and asking too much, you let him walk, if he's top 4 and worth it, you sign him.

And frankly, I'm not really a fan of McCabe at this point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We don't really have the assets or cap space this year to make a big play like Hanifin. So we make a smaller hockey move and give a guy like Zadorov a chance - see what he is, a top 4 guy, or a bottom pair guy. If he's bottom pair and asking too much, you let him walk, if he's top 4 and worth it, you sign him.

And frankly, I'm not really a fan of McCabe at this point.

1st
5th
Hirvonen
Klingberg ($ equalizer)

1st, B prospect and additional pick...that's usually been in the ballpark of good defenseman trades right? Orlov collected a 1st+2nd essentially.

I'd really like to know I have a chance at an extension though.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think Zadorov would add a nice element to the D but I think he'll be too expensive to resign.

Really could use a Muzzin right now. What a shame.

Hanifin would be nice though but how much will that cost? Probably a lot.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Our RHD is horrible, and looks worse next year.

RHD needs to be addressed before LHD, and all Zadorov and Hanifin are LHD.

Our RHD pipeline was a real blind spot of Dubas. All we have are Liljegren, and our pipeline is Timmins and Niemala.

We currently have Klingberg stinking it up and Brodie playing his offside, earning $5m, a UFA, and not playing as well as seasons past.

Improving our RHD is imperative. Lagers son is proving to be viable LHD depth, as is Benoit.

Any major trades including a 1st has to be for a top 4 RHD who can play heavy minutes with Rielly. Enough p***y-footing around with this. Just get it done already.

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hanifin should be option 1. Would be a great long term option too. 1st+3rd+Klingberg (salary cap) ++

Leafs need to do what Boston did when acquiring Lindholm (sign him long term shortly after).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad