Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tavares is an extremely effective C though... almost 64% in the dot, still PPG... .I think it makes more sense for now, to focus on a winger to compliment them best, and focus on a good match up 3C.

Overall, I think our focus should be D though.

Domi and Bertuzzi in theory should be good middle 6 forwards.

Right now they're okay bottom 6.

Treliving at the plate is 0-3, maybe next at bat he might get a walk?

Are they really that bad, or is this coaching.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Domi is pretty much who he is though... he's performing to my expectations. He's a guy who is not physical, is decent offensively, but really needs to play with top offensive players to excel... otherwise he's around .5PPG, and he's weak defensively.... So, pretty much that is what he's done for us.

It's not what Treliving suggested he was though, and many posters see the name Domi, and expected something different. Many posters see his playing time beside Kane, and saw points... that's just not him.

Bertuzzi... ok, his individual stats aren't meeting expectations, and he isn't that physical either... but, the results and expected results for his line have been pretty good. 65% xG% with M-M and 54% xG% with JT and WN.

Funny though, if you look at purely the stats, and make lines based on that.... xG% and actual goals percentage, and the best two top lines are...

Knies Matthews Marner
Jarnkrok Tavares Nylander

But...The best third line, in xG% is Robertson Domi Jarnkrok

Based on this combo... the current best top three lines would be submitting Bertuzzi into the Tavares line..

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok

It doesn't matter what we do with the rest of the guys at this point, it's mostly a disaster... like mostly a bad disaster.

The best results for the rest, has been Gregor Holmberg Reaves.... I'd swap Reaves out, put Kampf in there... Holmberg is extremely effective at carrying the puck, maybe that will work for Kampf?

There are things that I'd do differently, if it's in the summer, but to make changes for the forwards, would be difficult. The focus should be on the D side.... I think this offensive group, should be ok, once we get the rest sorted, and we permanently find a way not to play Reaves and Klingberg... waivers, trade, I don't care.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Domi is pretty much who he is though... he's performing to my expectations. He's a guy who is not physical, is decent offensively, but really needs to play with top offensive players to excel... otherwise he's around .5PPG, and he's weak defensively.... So, pretty much that is what he's done for us.

It's not what Treliving suggested he was though, and many posters see the name Domi, and expected something different. Many posters see his playing time beside Kane, and saw points... that's just not him.

Bertuzzi... ok, his individual stats aren't meeting expectations, and he isn't that physical either... but, the results and expected results for his line have been pretty good. 65% xG% with M-M and 54% xG% with JT and WN.

Funny though, if you look at purely the stats, and make lines based on that.... xG% and actual goals percentage, and the best two top lines are...

Knies Matthews Marner
Jarnkrok Tavares Nylander

But...The best third line, in xG% is Robertson Domi Jarnkrok

Based on this combo... the current best top three lines would be submitting Bertuzzi into the Tavares line..

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok

It doesn't matter what we do with the rest of the guys at this point, it's mostly a disaster... like mostly a bad disaster.

The best results for the rest, has been Gregor Holmberg Reaves.... I'd swap Reaves out, put Kampf in there... Holmberg is extremely effective at carrying the puck, maybe that will work for Kampf?

There are things that I'd do differently, if it's in the summer, but to make changes for the forwards, would be difficult. The focus should be on the D side.... I think this offensive group, should be ok, once we get the rest sorted, and we permanently find a way not to play Reaves and Klingberg... waivers, trade, I don't care.

I just don't see good from Domi or Bertuzzi. Playing with Matthews and marner or Tavares and Nylander means just don't screw up.

Now it is only 13 games out of 82 so still hope that they start looking like they're paid appropriatedly.

Reactions: Rocker13

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What about a push for Sarros? Nashville isn't going anywhere in the near future. They have their next #1 in Askarov kicking ass in the A, with absolutely no rush to bring him up considering how bad they are. Samsonov could even be a placeholder for the remainder of this year if they want him to over ripe down there.

Sarros has a year remaining after this year at $5M. Maybe even get them to retain.

It won't be cheap. 1st and either Minten or Cowen? More? I'm honestly not good at judging value in trades.

Would Samsonov have neutral value with his low cap hit and relative usefulness in this situation?

Hopefully Woll will be ready to fully take the reigns by the end of Sarros' contract.

This core is not getting any younger. We need a goaltender that we can count on to make a save. THIS SEASON.
Sarros? Nobody?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just don't see good from Domi or Bertuzzi. Playing with Matthews and marner or Tavares and Nylander means just don't screw up.

Now it is only 13 games out of 82 so still hope that they start looking like they're paid appropriatedly.

Domi with Robertson is interesting to me. Domi is a decent setup guy, Robertson can shoot the puck. Jarnkrok can cover defensively. Far too small a third line for my tastes.. .but then, it's who we've got, and you might as well try it.

Bertuzzi had a decent playoffs last year with Boston... we got him to try and replicate that.

Personally, I'm still looking at Comtois... what four points in his first three games in the AHL? Big body, proved he could play in the past, but didn't do so well more recently. He's a UFA still... so free asset. I mean, could he do worse with Tavares and Nylander? Have that conversation... you've played big boy, physical hockey in the past, that's what we need... be responsible defensively, be a puck hound... get Nylander the puck. He'd sign league min... ship out Bert... I'm not opposed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sarros? Nobody?
Let's stop hanging our goalies out to dry first... move Klingberg and Reaves out of the lineup, and see from there... one step at a time.

These two have been our biggest issues... start there, and take steps to continue to identify what changes are needed. Once we get our D guys back healthy, assess and move on... maybe it's a goalie, maybe and probably it's D.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Let's stop hanging our goalies out to dry first... move Klingberg and Reaves out of the lineup, and see from there... one step at a time.

These two have been our biggest issues... start there, and take steps to continue to identify what changes are needed. Once we get our D guys back healthy, assess and move on... maybe it's a goalie, maybe and probably it's D.
Totally fair and I don't disagree - at all.

In a vacuum though. Let's hypothetically say that we have made moves on D, Reaves goes on an extended vacation and our goaltenders still struggle. I believe that Sarros would be a stabilizing force out there. I'd be willing to sacrifice a decent chunk of the future for him.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Would still love to sign Comtois @ league minimum, try him out at 3LW

Comtois Domi Robertson
Gregor Kampf Jarnkrok

And if that fails you move him to 4LW
Comtois Kampf Gregor

Reactions: LeafSteel

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Same here. Never really understood that either if we’re looking for offence from the blueline. But maybe it was due to Dubas already trading quite a bit of high picks

I would just go after Fabbro. When everyone is healthy I would run

Rielly - Fabbro
McCabe - Liljegren
Lagesson - Brodie

Replacing Klingberg with Fabbro would also save us 1.65 million towards the cap giving us let’s of flexibility to carry a couple extra skaters or even to put towards signing Kane.
This defense is exactly our problem. We have no one to clear the crease or make it difficult for opposing players to get to the net.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

It's coaching - or more specifically, it's a conflict between how best to use the guys they have and how Keefe WANTS the team to play. One thing I will give Dubas credit for is that he knew what to look for to match Keefe's system; Trevelling doesn't, or he wouldn't have gone after Bertuzzi (as we saw 2 years ago with Nick Ritchie, Keefe has NO IDEA how to effectively use a slow to middling power winger who is good at garbage goals in front of the net, because he prefers the heavy forecheck skill game).

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Lots of speculation that because McMann is being held out of tonight's Marlies game for "precautionary reasons" that a trade may be on the way.

He's from Alberta. If he's the little sweetner to go along with Klingberg to get Tanev or Zadorov I wouldn't mind that at all. McMann would get some good playing time over there and possibly in the top 9 if he can stay healthy.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not sure what needs to be to done to balance the cap, but from strictly an asset POV, Moldenhauer/Voit/Hirvonen and a 3rd is the most I'd pony up and even that... Zadorov would only be a rental, that price already feels steep, yet it also feels like it wouldn't get it done.

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad