Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Alright let’s lay them out. Which defencemen might be available for a mid season trade? Hanifin is the first name that came to mind, who are some other options?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What about a push for Sarros? Nashville isn't going anywhere in the near future. They have their next #1 in Askarov kicking ass in the A, with absolutely no rush to bring him up considering how bad they are. Samsonov could even be a placeholder for the remainder of this year if they want him to over ripe down there.

Sarros has a year remaining after this year at $5M. Maybe even get them to retain.

It won't be cheap. 1st and either Minten or Cowen? More? I'm honestly not good at judging value in trades.

Would Samsonov have neutral value with his low cap hit and relative usefulness in this situation?

Hopefully Woll will be ready to fully take the reigns by the end of Sarros' contract.

This core is not getting any younger. We need a goaltender that we can count on to make a save. THIS SEASON.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
What this None-sense TSN is putting out saying "a trade won't fix what's broken in Toronto."

You can tell this is Toronto's front office deflecting blame from themselves onto to the coach, when this is a purely personnel issue.

Reactions: arso40 and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Alright let’s lay them out. Which defencemen might be available for a mid season trade? Hanifin is the first name that came to mind, who are some other options?

Depending on how their teams do, filling different needs ranging from a Klingberg replacement to a more physical stopper, to a 7th defenseman, to a long term building block solution, listed more or less alphabetically according to their team:

Ilya Lyubushkin
Sean Durzi
Noah Hanifin
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Connor Murphy
Andrew Peeke
Jeff Petry
Ben Chiarot
Mattias Ekholm
Ryan McDonagh
Jake Middleton
Zach Bogosian
Mario Ferraro
Jan Rutta
Brian Dumoulin
Adam Larsson
Martin Fehervary
Nick Jensen
John Carlson
Dylan DeMelo
Brenden Dillon
Logan Stanley

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What this None-sense TSN is putting out saying "a trade won't fix what's broken in Toronto."

You can tell this is Toronto's front office deflecting blame from themselves onto to the coach, when this is a purely personnel issue.

Right now too many things appear to be broken. So you wouldn't be able to solve all of them via trade without triaging your order of needs and whether some/most of the issues resolve themselves internally first.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Klingberg I think you have a couple of options:
1. The Ritchie, send him somewhere with a sweetener to a team that has already bailed on season, they may hope to flip him at deadline if he puts up some numbers.
2. Flip him for someone equally unwanted - not sure he fully qualifies, but if Zadorov is being shopped, maybe they swap places and then flames can dump Klingberg at deadline for another pick

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Depending on how their teams do, filling different needs ranging from a Klingberg replacement to a more physical stopper, to a 7th defenseman, to a long term building block solution, listed more or less alphabetically according to their team:

Ilya Lyubushkin
Sean Durzi
Noah Hanifin
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Connor Murphy
Andrew Peeke
Jeff Petry
Ben Chiarot
Mattias Ekholm
Ryan McDonagh
Jake Middleton
Zach Bogosian
Mario Ferraro
Jan Rutta
Brian Dumoulin
Adam Larsson
Martin Fehervary
Nick Jensen
John Carlson
Dylan DeMelo
Brenden Dillon
Logan Stanley
I was just looking at CBJ Peeke is a big RHD. That's pretty much all that I know about him. Any insight?

I do think that Connor Murphy would be a good pickup.

Reactions: arso40

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Right now too many things appear to be broken. So you wouldn't be able to solve all of them via trade without triaging your order of needs and whether some/most of the issues resolve themselves internally first.
I actually read it differently. As if there's internal strife - issues that will stick around as long as this core is together. Trading around the edges is futile.

Reactions: BallardEra

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Beauvillier for Klingberg straight up. Van is looking to move him and maybe they can scam VCR to take Klingberg dollar in for dollar out.

Beauvillier can play 3rd line or get moved to another team.

Klingberg getting trade is a win for the D and solves lots of their issues

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I actually read it differently. As if there's internal strife - issues that will stick around as long as this core is together. Trading around the edges is futile.
Simplest explanation is they aren’t making any changes yet, they still like the team and think they can turn it around. Lowering expectations

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Ilya Lyubushkin
Sean Durzi
Noah Hanifin
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Connor Murphy
Andrew Peeke
Jeff Petry
Ben Chiarot
Mattias Ekholm
Ryan McDonagh
Jake Middleton
Zach Bogosian
Mario Ferraro
Jan Rutta
Brian Dumoulin
Adam Larsson
Martin Fehervary
Nick Jensen
John Carlson
Dylan DeMelo
Brenden Dillon
Logan Stanley
I don’t understand why we didn’t match what Arizona gave durzi

Reactions: TMLAM34

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Needs:

1) A true third line center -

Dream: Elias Lindholm, he's a UFA after this year.
Low Risk, High Reward signing: Sean Monahan. Just suffered a season ending injury but look alright last season in Montreal.
Trade Target: Travis Konecny, Philly is on the rebuild they might be willing to trade a 28 year old with only two seasons left of control.

2) A defensively responsible defenseman

Dream - Hanifin - I don't see Klingberg, Brodie or Gio coming back next season so we'll have space to pay him.

Plan B - Brett Pesce - Carolina is stacked with Dmen and he could be an odd man out when he expires.

Bargain Bin - Sebastian Aho - the Islanders version, not the Canes version. I think he's more of a depth solution. We'll be losing a bunch of dmen after this year so we should have space.

3) Depth scoring - Kasperi Kapanen. Never panned out as a Top 6 foward but he seems to have settled in as a middle 6 guy. He's fast, can kill penalties and had his best seasons here. I think he could be a cheap option to return to the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Simplest explanation is they aren’t making any changes yet, they still like the team and think they can turn it around. Lowering expectations
There’s being patient, and then there’s this………

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I think defence is bigger problem at the moment. I think Domi and Bertuzzi will settle in. I think we need a new coach as well

Top 3 linea are fine.
Knies. Matthews. Marner
Robertson. Tavares. Nylander
Bertuzzi. Domi. Jarnkrok

4th line needs some work.
Xxxxx. Kampf. Xxxxx

Defense is scary.

Rielly. Xxxx
Xxxxx. Brodie
Mccabe. Lily
Gio. Kleinberg

Not sure how they can get 2 top 4 defenseman.

Goaltending is complicated, if defense was better maybe they can put it together. I think Samsonov is better than he is playing but with that said, there is a reason beyond money why the Caps let him go so this may be the real him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t understand why we didn’t match what Arizona gave durzi
Same here. Never really understood that either if we’re looking for offence from the blueline. But maybe it was due to Dubas already trading quite a bit of high picks

I think defence is bigger problem at the moment. I think Domi and Bertuzzi will settle in. I think we need a new coach as well

Top 3 linea are fine.
Knies. Matthews. Marner
Robertson. Tavares. Nylander
Bertuzzi. Domi. Jarnkrok

4th line needs some work.
Xxxxx. Kampf. Xxxxx

Defense is scary.

Rielly. Xxxx
Xxxxx. Brodie
Mccabe. Lily
Gio. Kleinberg

Not sure how they can get 2 top 4 defenseman.

Goaltending is complicated, if defense was better maybe they can put it together. I think Samsonov is better than he is playing but with that said, there is a reason beyond money why the Caps let him go so this may be the real him.
I would just go after Fabbro. When everyone is healthy I would run

Rielly - Fabbro
McCabe - Liljegren
Lagesson - Brodie

Replacing Klingberg with Fabbro would also save us 1.65 million towards the cap giving us let’s of flexibility to carry a couple extra skaters or even to put towards signing Kane.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Same here. Never really understood that either if we’re looking for offence from the blueline. But maybe it was due to Dubas already trading quite a bit of high picks

I would just go after Fabbro. When everyone is healthy I would run

Rielly - Fabbro
McCabe - Liljegren
Lagesson - Brodie

Replacing Klingberg with Fabbro would also save us 1.65 million towards the cap giving us let’s of flexibility to carry a couple extra skaters or even to put towards signing Kane.
Wasn’t it a second or a third for Him?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Primary needs
-Right side D that complements Rielly (stay at home type) brings strong PK game
-Defensively capable forward with strong pk game, ideally left shot capable of taking strong side draws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if we could get Hyman back from Edmonton? Obviously Bert and or Klingberg would be gone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if the the Leafs circle back to Desharnais of the Oilers? They tried to trade Lafferty for him. I think he'd be a good PK addition and give us size/physicality from the back end. This is assuming of course the Klingberg experiment is over.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Klingberg I think you have a couple of options:
1. The Ritchie, send him somewhere with a sweetener to a team that has already bailed on season, they may hope to flip him at deadline if he puts up some numbers.
2. Flip him for someone equally unwanted - not sure he fully qualifies, but if Zadorov is being shopped, maybe they swap places and then flames can dump Klingberg at deadline for another pick

The Ritchie trade brought in a solid defenseman that played alright in that deal. Ritchie had another year to his deal, so that complicated things a lot more but Dubas did ok to fix that mistake. And Ritchie cleared waivers too.

I think the Leafs could retain a chunk of his contract and hope a team bites. There could be a 1 for 1 scenario that also works but for 4M, there aren't many candidates. I don't think they need to add a sweetener unless the trade involves a good player back.

Reactions: uncleben

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Give Vancouver their 5th back and Klingberg for Beauvillier

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bert-JT-88
Robertson-Domi-Beau
Gregor-Kampf-Jarnkrok (gives Kampf a purpose again)

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Gio-Timmins
Benoit or Laggesson

Woll
Samsonov

Reaves demoted

Look for a defenseman at that point if the forward group gets fixed.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Give Vancouver their 5th back and Klingberg for Beauvillier

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bert-JT-88
Robertson-Domi-Beau
Gregor-Kampf-Jarnkrok (gives Kampf a purpose again)

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Gio-Timmins
Benoit or Laggesson

Woll
Samsonov

Reaves demoted

Look for a defenseman at that point if the forward group gets fixed.

If Vancouver is looking for more defensive depth, this could work for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad