Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Retention on Johansen's deal works out to 4M x 2 though. In comparison, Kadri's would hypothetically amount to 3.5M x 5. Calgary might not be giving Kadri away quite as easily with that kind of commitment left behind on its cap.

Agreed. That's the big hurdle.

Reactions: Buds17

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe if the Leafs did get Zadorov, it would mean spreading the minutes more evenly among the pairings?

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Zadorov-Timmins

I suppose some of those depends on Timmins ability to (somewhat) pick up where he left off in training camp and look like an every day defenseman.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lets say the Leafs want Kane.
Do Kane wants the Leafs?

He is coming back for surgery and at 35 yrs old. Thats going to be tough for anyone in a physical sports. Playing on the Leafs, esp in the bottom 6, might help him ease back due to lower minutes and some PP time. On top of not being the main guy. Also in the biggest Hockey Market in the League.

Could work for both sides.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lets say the Leafs want Kane.
Do Kane wants the Leafs?

He is coming back for surgery and at 35 yrs old. Thats going to be tough for anyone in a physical sports. Playing on the Leafs, esp in the bottom 6, might help him ease back due to lower minutes and some PP time. On top of not being the main guy. Also in the biggest Hockey Market in the League.

Could work for both sides.

Backstrom had the same surgery that Kane just had, not sure how it goes any better.

I don't think we lack scoring punch in the top 6, even the 4th line seemed better without Reaves.

If you were going to upgrade the forwards, it should be a very good penalty killer.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Backstrom had the same surgery that Kane just had, not sure how it goes any better.

I don't think we lack scoring punch in the top 6, even the 4th line seemed better without Reaves.

If you were going to upgrade the forwards, it should be a very good penalty killer.
100%

Our defense and PK ability among the forwards took a real hit over the offseason.

It's a nice thought that Matthews/Nylander should be leaned on more defensively, but..

Your best players being able to kill penalties is a good thing. Your best players having to kill penalties because your supporting cast is full of guys who can't isnt.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah I like Patty Kane but it seems very weird and a terrible fit for our needs. Treliving has a reputation of being involved in everything, which is good, but with a little more common sense I think it's easy to see how Kane to the Leafs doesn't work or make sense. He wouldn't even be on the #1PP. He would have to take around or below 1M and he'd have to play some lower end minutes. His hip surgery is one of the hardest to get over and rehab from, many players retire from it.

I disagree. I think they'd take him at 50% and basically given away, similar to Johansen to the Avalanche. Anything else than 50% retention though I don't think you're doing it. I don't think Shanahan minds at all and I think they regret quite a bit having to trade him due to a few reasons.

He's the kind of player that will definitely play with purpose and at 3.5M with a rising cap, I think he'll outperform that quite a bit on a better team. I'd be ecstatic with Kadri at 50% back in Toronto personally. Cup experience, plays with jam and intensity this team needs more of. The problem is that there's no way the Flames retain 50% for 6 years just to give him away.
We've seen Kadri here already. Hard pass. We don't need to see that again.

He sucked in the 3 hole. Plus that contract length all on his decline phase is 100% a non-starter

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah I like Patty Kane but it seems very weird and a terrible fit for our needs. Treliving has a reputation of being involved in everything, which is good, but with a little more common sense I think it's easy to see how Kane to the Leafs doesn't work or make sense. He wouldn't even be on the #1PP. He would have to take around or below 1M and he'd have to play some lower end minutes. His hip surgery is one of the hardest to get over and rehab from, many players retire from it.

I disagree. I think they'd take him at 50% and basically given away, similar to Johansen to the Avalanche. Anything else than 50% retention though I don't think you're doing it. I don't think Shanahan minds at all and I think they regret quite a bit having to trade him due to a few reasons.

He's the kind of player that will definitely play with purpose and at 3.5M with a rising cap, I think he'll outperform that quite a bit on a better team. I'd be ecstatic with Kadri at 50% back in Toronto personally. Cup experience, plays with jam and intensity this team needs more of. The problem is that there's no way the Flames retain 50% for 6 years just to give him away.

He has 9 hits this year. Just because he gets an opportunistic hit on a highlight reel every 5-10 games doesn’t mean he’s playing with intensity every shift, he takes a lot of shifts off. He was never a great skater and is only going to take more hooking/interference calls as he slows down in his 30s, between his reputation with the refs and our atrocious PK that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If we can somehow get out of a Flames trade without giving up our 1st I’d be really impressed.

Combination of Abruzesse, Niemela, mid picks, prospects would be beautiful. Don’t think it’s possible, but we’ll see

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
If we get Tanev and Zadorov our D group would automatically be one of the top ones in the league

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Brodie
Zadorov Lilly
Giordano

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
On the Leaf Report podcast they mentioned the Flames rumours. And that you'd hope to extend the player you get back. So it was brought up, would you rather sign an aging Tanev, Zadorov who may want $5M or Hanifin at $7.5M.

Hanifin was the agreed upon choice in that scenario and I agree. If the Leafs need to pay up for those pending UFAs and need to add on for retention and to take on Klingberg, I'd rather pay up a little more and get the best player.

Get Hanifin on an extension then pay a 3rd at the deadline for another piece if need be a la Schenn last year, rather than going for both Zadorov and Tanev. Like if we are talking a 1st and Minten, it better be an extended Hanifin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad