Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Zadorov is your typical 3rd pairing that kills penalty and clear in front of the net.
Tanev is your typical d pairing matching up against opposing top line.

Have not been following Tanev since he signed with the Flames, is he still make of glass or he is more consistent now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lili is an offensive guy if he's given the chance to play that role on his pair. That's why if you can find a way to get Tanev and Zadorov and keep Brodie then I think our D core looks pretty good.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-Lili
Zadorov-Timmins/Gio

You need goals you pair Rielly and Lili. You need to shut shit down you pair Tanev and Brodie. Zadorov can help clear the crease on the PK even getting Brodie and Tanev would be that top pair. All of them can move the puck as well even though they are more known for their defence.
If you get Tanev I don't know if you need Zadorov, if that's our top 4 I don't think the bottom pair will be getting much ice time as is

horner

May 22, 2007
Minten is a straight B prospect not a guy you keep off the table

He overperformed in the preaseason then was invisible in the NHL stint

He is a a likely 3rd liner. Keep the 1st and you get a shot at another Cowan
He might be a B prospect but leaf management thinks they have something special in this player.
We don't have alot of centers that play a 200 ' game in fact we had to sign Kampf because we have no centers.
He also has great size and gets involved physically.
50% FO not to bad for a kid his age.
If his offense picks up we could have 2nd line center for the nextv10 yrs
If we had more centers I would say trade him for d help.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Also B prospects have value in filling out the roster in a style you want the team to play (if they have one) and don't cost to acquire long term in terms of trades or over paying in FAs

Reactions: horner

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The only way we should be dealing Minten is if it’s in a package deal to acquire a top pairing defenceman that’s 30 or under and signed for multiple years. Otherwise you keep him, kids going to be a 3/4C as early as next season.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
also if you've committed to a core (which apparently they have) you cycle through theses types of guys to fill the roster out . during windows of contention. Typically you win something before entering this second stage but leafs

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
also if you've committed to a core (which apparently they have) you cycle through theses types of guys to fill the roster out . during windows of contention. Typically you win something before entering this second stage but leafs
typically you win? in a 30-32 team league? honestly insane expectations. yeah they should have won some more rounds by now but fanbase is in full delusion territory expecting every good young core to eventually win the cup.

Reactions: Kurtz

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
My issue with getting zadorov is that I see him and McCabe playing a similar role. Both 3rd pairing and shouldn’t be playing higher. Unless we think they will fit well together.

I’d much prefer hanafin, particularly since we are going to have to move klingberg, so hanafin will give us a little more offense on the backend. He slots in nicely on the second pair, and pushes McCabe to 3rd.

If we can get hanafin and Tanev, that would be ideal for me.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
My issue with getting zadorov is that I see him and McCabe playing a similar role. Both 3rd pairing and shouldn’t be playing higher. Unless we think they will fit well together.

I’d much prefer hanafin, particularly since we are going to have to move klingberg, so hanafin will give us a little more offense on the backend. He slots in nicely on the second pair, and pushes McCabe to 3rd.

If we can get hanafin and Tanev, that would be ideal for me.
Not as rentals!!!!!!!!

Reactions: arso40

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I know Minten's upside isn't in the sky, but this a team that is constantly looking for a good 3rd line centre. You can piss away assets for one that is older and likely a pending UFA, or you can finally have a homegrown one. We talk about the struggle to develop goalies and dmen, but centres are right there as well. Team has always been a winger factory.

Last 15 years it feels like its only been Kadri, Gauthier and Matthews. I'd like to keep Minten, even if the upside isn't as strong, the importance is still there. That being said, for a top 4 dman with term, yes he should be on the table. Not as a retention sweetener for pending UFAs.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Not as rentals!!!!!!!!
Agreed. I would want us to resign Hanifin. And I think with our young talent, they could really help mitigate the cap implications next year. If a few of Minten, Robertson, Cowan, Knies, are on next years roster, we could do it.

Now how do you get Hanifin and Tanev, without giving up any of the young guys? That’s Brads problem haha.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
typically you win? in a 30-32 team league? honestly insane expectations. yeah they should have won some more rounds by now but fanbase is in full delusion territory expecting every good young core to eventually win the cup.
The operative word there was "something"

Not increasing their playoff win record by a whopping 67% to 5 wins..

Hell we haven't even won anything in the regular season. No presidents trophy, no conference #1, not even an Atlantic division title. 15 games into the season and we're right hack where we always are, a distant 2/3 in the division in what, according to many here, was supposed to be a cake walk to an easy division title with the Bruins losing their #1 and #2 centre's, Bolts falling off, retooling Panthers and the perpetually rebuilding Wings/Sabres/Sens/Habs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Worth noting that Tavares' contract is up next year and, while he may re-sign, he's clearly aging and the need for a quality top 9 centre increases.

I'd hope you can grow Minten to be able to step into that top 9 role. He won't have the offensive game but he can be an important piece. I.e. if Domi keeps working out and they re-sign him, Minten can be used more in a traditional 3rd line centre role while Domi's line is more offense oriented.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I do think it’s hanifin and we work with matthews help to extend

Need to start making moves where we start filling hole and long term, actually create a winning roster

We get hanifin then that’s our legit left side defence taken care of for awhile

I don’t need these physical hard players everyone wants, just guys that don’t make mistakes and cost us, preferably great skaters

I miss having a real fast team that’s hard to play agains

I like our forward core but the rest ooofh!!

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Even the newly minted rookie knows how to stand up for your own teammate.

This kid impresses me every game, but I wouldn't call it standing up for his team mate. He skated in and lightly moved him out of the way. More making sure his team mate wasn't in any danger from all the players coming towards Sergachev.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If you get Tanev I don't know if you need Zadorov, if that's our top 4 I don't think the bottom pair will be getting much ice time as is
I'd rather Zadorov on the 2nd PK unit over a guy like Rielly and Gio who hasn't been very good on the PK this season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm gonna throw a wild one out there but right off the hop, it's contingent likely upon Marner waiving NMC / willing to re-sign in New Jersey...

Off-season

Marner
Timmins

for

Mercer
Bastian
Vanacek
Nemec

Bastian would be a solid 4th line RW in place of Reaves
Vanacek can back up Woll

Mercer having a down year, maybe able to bounce back but maybe could re-sign for 4-5M x 5 years

Nemec is the big addition, RHD good both ways, has the chance to be a top pairing defenseman.

Nylander of course would need to have re-upped in Toronto

I've looked at it on the Devils side too...could still have 8M to go goalie hunting and otherwise put together a great line up at F/D

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
What about Weeger? Leafs take on that contract to give the Flames some flexibility. That term should hopefully bring the price down.

Something like Klingberg + Kampf + Abruzzese + 2024 1st + 2025 3rd?

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Weeger
Gio-Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad