Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Elliotte Friedman when asked by a 7 year old what Toronto is looking for: “I think they’re looking for D” 32 Thoughts

“The one I can see is Zadorov. I’ll bet you this, I’d they could find a way to get Zadorov and Tanev I bet you they would do it. I really believe it” 32 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking about the Friday Leafs meeting “I heard one of the things said in there, no one will confirm it, other teams know they can push us around”

Hope folks aren't attached to this seasons 1st round pick

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hope folks aren't attached to this seasons 1st round pick

I know some people will have differing opinions than me on this but I wouldn't put it on the table until the trade deadline is closer and you can be sure of your position.

The only other scenario where I consider moving it is if I am getting a high end controlled age appropriate defenseman, otherwise the division is too tight and we've not looked good enough for me to make the move.

Reactions: Rocker13 and ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know some people will have differing opinions than me on this but I wouldn't put it on the table until the trade deadline is closer and you can be sure of your position.

The only other scenario where I consider moving it is if I am getting a high end controlled age appropriate defenseman, otherwise the division is too tight and we've not looked good enough for me to make the move.

That's a tough one.

Cost controlled top 4 defender you can fit into the Cap.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IMO, if the player you want is available you don't wait. Worse case you can always try and get one back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's a tough one.

Cost controlled top 4 defender you can fit into the Cap.

Chances are the other team would work to fit $ in/out but I would work hard to make it work

IMO, if the player you want is available you don't wait. Worse case you can always try and get one back.

I agree on this but the person who is making the evaluation of the value of the pick vs the player...if they're wrong it could be bad.

If we acquire Zadorov and Tanev but Tanev gets injured early or Zadorov doesn't help and we still suck and end up trading a top 10 pick for a couple of rentals, it would be unfuriating because that 10th overall pick (as an example) is either adding a real talented player to your organization or a hell of a trade chip to add a better defenseman in the off-season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Elliotte Friedman when asked by a 7 year old what Toronto is looking for: “I think they’re looking for D” 32 Thoughts

“The one I can see is Zadorov. I’ll bet you this, I’d they could find a way to get Zadorov and Tanev I bet you they would do it. I really believe it” 32 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking about the Friday Leafs meeting “I heard one of the things said in there, no one will confirm it, other teams know they can push us around”
Wrong guy from Calgary.

Also, with Peeke. If he can't crack CBJs lineup, can he really be expected to make an impact as a top 4 here?

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chances are the other team would work to fit $ in/out but I would work hard to make it work

I agree on this but the person who is making the evaluation of the value of the pick vs the player...if they're wrong it could be bad.

If we acquire Zadorov and Tanev but Tanev gets injured early or Zadorov doesn't help and we still suck and end up trading a top 10 pick for a couple of rentals, it would be unfuriating because that 10th overall pick (as an example) is either adding a real talented player to your organization or a hell of a trade chip to add a better defenseman in the off-season.
Yeah there are no guarantees, I don't think you can worry about that.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Disagree. Tavares wasn't just a free wallet, he was a free wallet stuffed with cash.

You take that asset.

But as you suggest, keeping Matthews and marner at double digits was perhaps a mistake?

This, however, neglects to point out the COVID Cap, changed everything. Probably 6-8mm from where it would have been.

You don’t spend a huge part of the cap on a player you don’t really need. We had Kadri at 2C and last Nylander could have transitioned there.

Keeping Matthews is obvious. Keeping two offensive right wingers was dumb.

As many have said before, the flat cap impacted every team and every players. If the cap went up, so would the price of all the contracts we signed. Brodie, for example, signed for 5 because of the cap - he likely gets 6 if the cap goes up normally. Same goes for every other contract signed. It had a negligible impact on our poor cap structure.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Wrong guy from Calgary.

Also, with Peeke. If he can't crack CBJs lineup, can he really be expected to make an impact as a top 4 here?
I think many are looking for a Schenn clone. Safe, simple minutes next to Mo, but a physical presence at the same time. Schenn hasn't always had a perfect road in the NHL, he's fallen as far as the AHL before rising again. I think Peeke could be a buy low target of a similar ilk that could play that role.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think many are looking for a Schenn clone. Safe, simple minutes next to Mo, but a physical presence at the same time. Schenn hasn't always had a perfect road in the NHL, he's fallen as far as the AHL before rising again. I think Peeke could be a buy low target of a similar ilk that could play that role.

It's understandable in terms of the style of dman, but it seems like a big ask to go from not dressing in CBJ to possibly 20+ minutes a night.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully we can wait until we're on a hot streak before we make any trades. Calgary is an obvious trade partner.
- Former team of our GM
- They suck, we're trying to compete
- They have tons of D we covet, and we have picks they covet

Hard to see us winning a trade honestly. Those guys are going to be very attractive trade deadline players.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I don't believe this team is one or two players away from Contending. They have a lot of issues to address. We've given up too much h draft equity in the past for a short term fix which didn't push any further ahead. This team isn't close and until JT is off the books just stay the course.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't believe this team is one or two players away from Contending. They have a lot of issues to address. We've given up too much h draft equity in the past for a short term fix which didn't push any further ahead. This team isn't close and until JT is off the books just stay the course.

I think that's also the correct thing to do. I don't think they have a lot of holes as much as they lack available assets, and cap space, to make additions. Obviously a lot can change by the deadline in terms of injuries/needs but I think you can just hope the team gets hot at the right time similar to the Panthers last year.

Reactions: baton elevated

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Tanev
Zadorov
Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Brodie
Jarnkrok
Niemela
Robertson
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Mangiapane-Tavares-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Domi-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Steeves
Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Liljegren
McCabe- Klingberg
Giordano

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
To Toronto-
Tanev
Zadorov
Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Brodie
Jarnkrok
Niemela
Robertson
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Steeves
Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Liljegren
McCabe- Klingberg
Giordano
Can't trade Robertson after he gets a couple of goals tonight.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
To Toronto-
Tanev
Zadorov
Mangiapane

To Calgary-
Brodie
Jarnkrok
Niemela
Robertson
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Steeves
Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Liljegren
McCabe- Klingberg
Giordano
Would do it in a heartbeat. So I doubt Flames would.

Also won’t fit under the cap.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
100% not a contender this year. Lots of work to do on the ice and seems like theres a hell of a lot of work to do off the ice too.

Reactions: baton elevated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad