Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Difference is Klingberg is one year and he can be easily moved before the TDL and (hopefully) we should not have to sweeten.
They aren't going to trade Klingberg. Despite his defensive shortcomings, he adds something that this team otherwise doesn't have much of, being offense from the blueline. Once the injured guys are back and Klingberg's ice time is adjusted accordingly, he won't be an issue.

Reactions: Mackr and Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They aren't going to trade Klingberg. Despite his defensive shortcomings, he adds something that this team otherwise doesn't have much of, being offense from the blueline. Once the injured guys are back and Klingberg's ice time is adjusted accordingly, he won't be an issue.
Said he could easily be moved, not that he will be moved. Hoping he is better than he has shown so far. Same for 59 and 11. Reaves, what you see is what you get.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This could have been so much better;

1699269657179.png

Hathaway was my own doing and I don't love the speed of the team but hard to say we'd be worse off.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Couldn’t care less about offence from the backend if the guy is a complete liability. Might as well run Gustafsson.

Much rather flip Klingberg for another rental (ie Niederreiter) if you can also acquire a cheaper RD like Peeke to pair with Rielly, then give those offensive opportunities to Liljegren/Timmins/Niemela.

If we’re going to suck, play the kids.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Trade 1: Klingberg for Peeke + Robinson

Trade 2A: Robertson, Niemala, Domi, 1st + 3rd (+ more probably, lol) for Hanifin 50% + Lindholm 50%

Bert - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Lindholm - Nylander
Holmberg - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Robinson/McMann - Kampf - Gregor

Rielly - Peeke
Hanifin - Brodie
McCabe/Gio - Timmins

Trade 2B: Niemala, Domi, 1st for Hanifin 50%

Bert - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Peeke
Hanifin - Brodie
McCabe/Gio - Timmins

Flip Timmins or Brodie at deadline if Lilly returns by then

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Trade 1: Klingberg for Peeke + Robinson

Trade 2A: Robertson, Niemala, Domi, 1st + 3rd (+ more probably, lol) for Hanifin 50% + Lindholm 50%

Bert - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Lindholm - Nylander
Holmberg - Tavares - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Peeke
Hanifin - Brodie
McCabe/Gio - Timmins

Trade 2B: Niemala, Domi, 1st for Hanifin 50%

Bert - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Peeke
Hanifin - Brodie
McCabe/Gio - Timmins

Flip Timmins or Brodie at deadline if Lilly returns by then
Columbus is trying to get rid of defencemen, they would have no interest in Klingberg.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
One of the best qualities Dubas had was his ability to acknowledge an error and rectify it. You saw it with Ritchie and then later with Mrazek, getting us out of 2 bad contracts

It's time to see if Treliving can do the same. Klingberg at 4 million and Reaves at 1.35 is just not worth it for this team and the cap structure we have. Accept the mistake and move on while we still have time to adjust

Dubas’s original mistake was never corrected. The core 4 doesn’t work.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dubas’s original mistake was never corrected. The core 4 doesn’t work.

Um? Of the core 5 who did he actually acquire? (Rielly has to go in there he makes 4th. most on the team.)

Perhaps what you are suggesting, Dubas failed to trade one of Matthews or marner when he had an opportunity? Signing Tavares really was a no brainer, he's still PPG, and was a free asset. Was there an elite level UFA defender willing to sign with Toronto at the same time Tavares was available and willing?

Signing Tavares and then trading marner for a top end defender might have returned better results. Of that we'll never know.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One of the best qualities Dubas had was his ability to acknowledge an error and rectify it. You saw it with Ritchie and then later with Mrazek, getting us out of 2 bad contracts

It's time to see if Treliving can do the same. Klingberg at 4 million and Reaves at 1.35 is just not worth it for this team and the cap structure we have. Accept the mistake and move on while we still have time to adjust
When you make as many mistakes as Boy Wonder did, I guess you learn to move on from said mistakes, perhaps not making the mistake in the first place would have been a good idea……..

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Um? Of the core 5 who did he actually acquire? (Rielly has to go in there he makes 4th. most on the team.)

Perhaps what you are suggesting, Dubas failed to trade one of Matthews or marner when he had an opportunity? Signing Tavares really was a no brainer, he's still PPG, and was a free asset. Was there an elite level UFA defender willing to sign with Toronto at the same time Tavares was available and willing?

Signing Tavares and then trading marner for a top end defender might have returned better results. Of that we'll never know.

Just because he didn’t acquire them all doesn’t mean it wasn’t a mistake to double-, triple-, quadruple-down ok keeping them.

Signing Tavares was the first mistake. You can say anyone would have done it, but that doesn’t change how it worked out.

Once Tavares was here, keeping both Marner and Nylanser was the next mistake. You can argue which one should have been moved, but keeping both just diminished both of their contributions and values.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder what it would take to acquire Hanifin. Lots of complications due to cap unless Calgary is willing to retain 50% since his contracts expiring.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Just because he didn’t acquire them all doesn’t mean it wasn’t a mistake to double-, triple-, quadruple-down ok keeping them.

Signing Tavares was the first mistake. You can say anyone would have done it, but that doesn’t change how it worked out.

Once Tavares was here, keeping both Marner and Nylanser was the next mistake. You can argue which one should have been moved, but keeping both just diminished both of their contributions and values.
Honestly I think Dubas’ biggest mistake was handing out the contracts he did for Matthews and Marner more so than signing Tavares.

Tavares was already an established 1C in the NHL and signed through free agency. Shortly after named captain after a year in the blue and white.

At the time, Matthews didn’t accomplish more than Tavares in the NHL therefore should have not made the same or more than Tavares especially coming off an ELC.

If you signed Matthews and Marner each to 10 million per it would have given us a few extra million to play around with and their increases on their next contracts wouldn’t have been as high as they will be now IMO.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Disagree. Tavares wasn't just a free wallet, he was a free wallet stuffed with cash.

You take that asset.

But as you suggest, keeping Matthews and marner at double digits was perhaps a mistake?

This, however, neglects to point out the COVID Cap, changed everything. Probably 6-8mm from where it would have been.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I wonder what it would take to acquire Hanifin. Lots of complications due to cap unless Calgary is willing to retain 50% since his contracts expiring.

They might give you Hanifin if you take Huberdeau ...

33 year old 56 point player Kadri ... Wendel fell off a cliff early 30's and his main assets were goal scoring and physical play.

Kadri's points aren't great, but his intangibles have also been equal to his production. That is what made him so valuable. Not sure at this age he'll be able to maintain those intangibles. Just like Wendel perhaps the body is showing its age?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Elliotte Friedman when asked by a 7 year old what Toronto is looking for: “I think they’re looking for D” 32 Thoughts

“The one I can see is Zadorov. I’ll bet you this, I’d they could find a way to get Zadorov and Tanev I bet you they would do it. I really believe it” 32 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking about the Friday Leafs meeting “I heard one of the things said in there, no one will confirm it, other teams know they can push us around”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Elliotte Friedman when asked by a 7 year old what Toronto is looking for: “I think they’re looking for D” 32 Thoughts

“The one I can see is Zadorov. I’ll bet you this, I’d they could find a way to get Zadorov and Tanev I bet you they would do it. I really believe it” 32 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking about the Friday Leafs meeting “I heard one of the things said in there, no one will confirm it, other teams know they can push us around”
You don't need anyone to confirm it, that's been the case for some time now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

God... I don't know want to know how much Treliving will overpay to get Zadorov only for him to be a slight upgrade over Giordano.

Tanev would a much much better fit but... his age and injury history makes me nervous for the price it'll take to trade for him. But I could see him having an Alec Martinez kind of impact.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You don't need anyone to confirm it, that's been the case for some time now.

God... I don't know want to know how much Treliving will overpay to get Zadorov only for him to be a slight upgrade over Giordano.

Tanev would a much much better fit but... his age and injury history makes me nervous for the price it'll take to trade for him. But I could see him having an Alec Martinez kind of impact.

We could send some of those extra 5ths and 7ths along with Timmins and guys like Reaves, Klingberg and Kampf....no idea why they'd want any part of it.

If you're Reaves though and that conversation did occur, you're basically a failure already.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Tanev wouldn’t be bad. I’d like to see this team get a little younger though on the backend.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad