Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bertuzzi, Domi, and Klingberg is a waste of $12.65 million right there. Tons of cap if he was smart.
None of those signings look good to date, but even with that money it’s not enough to improve the D AND fill the spots taken by these under performers. There simply isn’t enough cap room to buld a competent team with half the cap tied up in 4 forwards. You got 4 guys surrounded by bafoons because that’s all they can afford. Nothing changes until this problem is address……..

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why not 20 with Samsonov who could've been moved as well.
Exactly. Not sure where these "We have no cap" posters are getting this from.

The problem isn't lack of cap. The problem is the near $20 million cap the Leafs spent on non-productive players.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
With Marner or Nylander (with additions if needed) in the summer before the trade provisions kicked in. As for cap space that sorts itself once you have the balls to actually move players.
It’s not Tre’s fault he didn’t trade 16 before NMC kicks in, the guy was here zero time to accomplish that. Don’t think Dubas didn’t bet the house on him not getting rehired for this very reason. 88‘s the only one who can be traded so you do it, let 16 walk, don’t resign Bertuzzi/Domi/Klingberg then you have some money to fix this problem……..

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

The problem isn't lack of cap. The problem is the near $20 million cap the Leafs spent on non-productive players.

Well, there was cap space, but no depth, and quite a few needed to be signed. I think there were only 5 or 6 forwards under contract at the end of at season.

Still, the players brought in aside from Gregor have underwhelmed, but TBH I didn't like the 3 main forward signings anyway. They're an overcompensation for an issue (toughness) that has to do with the main guys.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It’s not Tre’s fault he didn’t trade 16 before NMC kicks in, the guy was here zero time to accomplish that.
I disagree, respectfully.

88‘s the only one who can be traded so you do it, let 16 walk, don’t resign Bertuzzi/Domi/Klingberg then you have some money to fix this problem……..

Letting Marner walk is terrible management of his situation.

Reactions: kb

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
I realize there's plenty of hockey yet to be played, and my hope is Bertuzzi and Domi show their value in the playoffs, but this team is giving me 0 confidence that they can succeed in the playoffs this year given their current play and past failures.

Instead of trying to "go for it" at trade deadline time, I'd rather Tre focus on offloading poor cap (Reaves, Kampf, McCabe, etc). Then, in the off-season, go hard after all of DeMelo, Hanifin, and Pesce.

Rielly - DeMelo
Hanifin - Pesce
Lagesson - Liljegren

Swap Lagesson as desired, but that's an excellent top 5.

Cap wise, it could be possible, but we'd have to rely on some youth, and probably some bargains. Sample roster:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Jarncrok - Tavares - Nylander
? - ? - ?
Holmberg - Minten - Cowen

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Is there anything in SAN Jose worth fishing about?

I’m hoping we can dump Klingberg on them since they seem to need all the help they can get. Maybe Reaves too if they figure they’re going to be bad long enough that his 3 year deal won’t matter and they could use his “vibes.”

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think the forward group can instantly get better results by firmly making Kämpf 4C and having Reaves as a rotation player. The bottom 6 is pretty much a lost cause when trying to filter the current players around those two. Kämpf kills plays with skilled guys, Reaves simply can't actually play, and it's even worse when they're on the same line:

Reward hot starts from Robertson and Steeves and roll something like this:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Järnkrok
Gregor - Kämpf - Steeves
Reaves

* lots of mix-match options through the Top 9 wings.

They also should already be planning how they can ship Klingberg off as pain-free as possible, which seems plausible given that it's just a one year deal. Not imminently, but I can't see how him playing a meaningful game isn't a disaster He isn't giving quality enough offensive minutes and has a glaring screw up on at least one GA on a nighty basis. They could even just pivot to Timmins for a bit after that move is made, but should add a D at some point. I think Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, Liljegren, Giordano, Timmins, and one notable addition is probably underappreciated as to how good it really is. Lagesson also seems to be passing as a #8 so far as well.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I disagree, respectfully.

Letting Marner walk is terrible management of his situation.
So where and for who could Marner have been moved?

Yes it is terrible asset management, but don’t worry everyone can be signed because I’ve read a couple posts yesterday that the Leaf don’t have a cap management problem, it’s all been a bad dream……….

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Free agency go after Hanifin and Pesce, solidify this D long term.

Hanifin 6 years 6.5 Aav
Pesce 6 years 5.5 Aav
Hakanpaa 2 years 1.75 million t

Don't sign any of our FAs except Willy and Lilly short term bridge again.
Trade Kampf and Reaves if possible.

I would move Marner but he has a NMC so that ain't happening.

Knies Matthews Nylander
FA or trade? JT Marner
Robertson (FA Center) Jarnkrok
McMann Minten or Cowen Steeves
Clifford

Rielly Pesce
Hanifin Lilly
McCabe Hakanpaa

Woll
Jones

Reactions: arso40

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

They can't make sense of how it can be done, therefore it can't be done.

5.5+4.15+3+2.4+1.35 = 16.4 on 4F and 1D, trying to improve depth and make the team harder to play against, being spent on two offensive forwards, one offensive D, one defensive C, and one 4th line RW who is much worse than the guy we already had.

aaa-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
bbb-ccc-Jarncrok
ddd-eee-Lafferty

was the situation going into UFA. We filled a, b, c and replaced Lafferty for a net of 11.1. D and E need at least 775 against them, so F spend of 12.65

Acciari 2
Hathaway 2.375
Wood 2.5
Duchene 3
Eller 2.45
Rodrigues 3m
Tatar 1.5m
Kampf 2.4

There a very few combinations of 5 that aren't doable for 12.65million.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They can't make sense of how it can be done, therefore it can't be done.

5.5+4.15+3+2.4+1.35 = 16.4 on 4F and 1D, trying to improve depth and make the team harder to play against, being spent on two offensive forwards, one offensive D, one defensive C, and one 4th line RW who is much worse than the guy we already had.

aaa-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
bbb-ccc-Jarncrok
ddd-eee-Lafferty

was the situation going into UFA. We filled a, b, c and replaced Lafferty for a net of 11.1. D and E need at least 775 against them, so F spend of 12.65

Acciari 2
Hathaway 2.375
Wood 2.5
Duchene 3
Eller 2.45
Rodrigues 3m
Tatar 1.5m
Kampf 2.4

There a very few combinations of 5 that aren't doable for 12.65million.
Those guys either wouldnt come here or would make little difference it is mostly shitty players on bad teams

Eller sucks on the pens
Hathaway is a 4th liner, he is better than Reeves but Pizza man went for a goon
Tatar sucks ass
Rodrigues isnt coming here after our previous teams didnt want him and sent him off

Bertuzzi, Domi, Klingberg were fine gambles. Still early in the year and they can still bounce back

Biggest issue is Treliving not adding another top 4 D, and a 3C

We had 2-3 months to make these moves but he sat on his ass

weems

Jul 3, 2008
the #3 C spot is killing our ability to even think about having balanced scoring.

Reactions: arso40

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I personally am loving the meltdown after all the excitement of Dubas being gone, “toughness” brought in during the off-season, etc.

Anyone who thought Domi and Reaves were the answer are getting exactly what they deserve.

TBH though, I expected more out of bertuzzi and Klingberg

Anyway with all the injuries on the backend, some long term, seems like Peeke is a good buy low option to at least have an NHLer on the second pair.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So where and for who could Marner have been moved?

Yes it is terrible asset management, but don’t worry everyone can be signed because I’ve read a couple posts yesterday that the Leaf don’t have a cap management problem, it’s all been a bad dream……….

I'm not sure to be honest, however, it's not unreasonable to think that before all the teams blew their money on July 1st, there would've been a market for him.

Without knowing which team it's then hard to say what players, but presumably you would target young centers and defenceman, as well as opening up cap space to accommodate Matthews and Nylander's new deal or perhaps other signings.

horner

May 22, 2007
Free agency go after Hanifin and Pesce, solidify this D long term.

Hanifin 6 years 6.5 Aav
Pesce 6 years 5.5 Aav
Hakanpaa 2 years 1.75 million t

Don't sign any of our FAs except Willy and Lilly short term bridge again.
Trade Kampf and Reaves if possible.

I would move Marner but he has a NMC so that ain't happening.

Knies Matthews Nylander
FA or trade? JT Marner
Robertson (FA Center) Jarnkrok
McMann Minten or Cowen Steeves
Clifford

Rielly Pesce
Hanifin Lilly
McCabe Hakanpaa

Woll
Jones
Trade Jarnkrok and ljiligren

Hanifin 7 mil