Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Thankfully the first round pick is still here for this season. Not that I think the Leafs will keep being bad or mediocre, but you never know sometimes.

The last thing this team needs is another high risk pending UFA acquisition that won't move the needle for a bunch of futures either.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade Jarnkrok and ljiligren

Hanifin 7 mil
Pesce 6.5 mil
Hakanpaa 2.5 Mil
Resign Willy 10 mil

Sign Lindholm 6.5 mil

Sign clutterbuck 1.8 mil
if you aren't getting rid of Reeves then you need someone to play with him

The prices will be going up next yr for FAs

Knies Mathew's Marner
McMann JT Willy
Minten Lindholm Cowen
Reeves Holmberg Clutterbuck

Mo Pesce
Hanifin Hakanpaa
McCabe Kokkonen

Woll
Backup 1.5 mil

I Really like McMann big strong and has a nose for the net

Lindholm can take over for JT in 2 yrs

It the cap goes to 87 mil it will leave us with .9 mil

Now we need to draft dman

People keep trying to trade Jarnkrok despite him being by far the best secondary point producer on this team so far. One of the few great PKers we have left as well.

I wouldn't trade him unless it was a big overpay from another team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah if we’re looking to dump useless salary, Domi is way higher up on my list than Jarnkrok. Not to say I wouldn’t trade Jarnkrok because I’d be open to that as well but there’s a lot of other useless plugs making more such as Domi and Kampf. Reaves is also useless.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is there anything in SAN Jose worth fishing about?

Luke Kunin could be ok. He PKs, he hits and can play center. Dump Kampf in the process, give them a pick for their trouble. Leafs lose a capable center that can PK a lot, which is not ideal but at least we get rid of a struggling forward. Another option if he's a buy low is Duclair, but he's a 1 dimensional winger and I don't know if that makes any sense... but Leaf need more scoring and speed, and he can do that.

I don't see any defensive targets on the SJS that make sense.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pesce and Hanifin would be unreal UFA pick-ups. You’re probably looking at 7.5 million for Hanifin and 6.25 million for Pesce.

Rielly - Pesce
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Timmins

With Niemela, Kokkonen, etc incase of any injuries.

Very unlikely but one can dream!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure to be honest, however, it's not unreasonable to think that before all the teams blew their money on July 1st, there would've been a market for him.

Without knowing which team it's then hard to say what players, but presumably you would target young centers and defenceman, as well as opening up cap space to accommodate Matthews and Nylander's new deal or perhaps other signings.
I think your missing a layer of complexity, 34 hadn’t been extended, and trading 16 wouldn’t have helped in that regard since 34 and 16 seem to be BBF’s. If offers were there and they were legit offers I’d have moved 16 and see where things settled……….

Trade Jarnkrok and ljiligren

Hanifin 7 mil
Pesce 6.5 mil
Hakanpaa 2.5 Mil
Resign Willy 10 mil

Sign Lindholm 6.5 mil

Sign clutterbuck 1.8 mil
if you aren't getting rid of Reeves then you need someone to play with him

The prices will be going up next yr for FAs

Knies Mathew's Marner
McMann JT Willy
Minten Lindholm Cowen
Reeves Holmberg Clutterbuck

Mo Pesce
Hanifin Hakanpaa
McCabe Kokkonen

Woll
Backup 1.5 mil

I Really like McMann big strong and has a nose for the net

Lindholm can take over for JT in 2 yrs

It the cap goes to 87 mil it will leave us with .9 mil

Now we need to draft dman
Your not getting any of those players for the dollars stated imo……..

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think your missing a layer of complexity, 34 hadn’t been extended, and trading 16 wouldn’t have helped in that regard since 34 and 16 seem to be BBF’s

Does Auston have no other friends on the team? Isn't that a risk no matter who you move?

I don't doubt it's a complex deal, but continuing down this path of having 4 guys taking up half the cap is getting silly.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
DeRozan and Lowry were BFF’s as well yet the Raptors won the year after trading DeRozan and Lowry continued to play in Toronto for another few years.

Also I’m not advocating to move Marner. Ideally we suck it up for another year and then we have Tavares coming off the books.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

We’re finally about to see this top six. Hopefully Keefe gives them at least 5 games together before dropping Knies to the 4th line.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
DeRozan and Lowry were BFF’s as well yet the Raptors won the year after trading DeRozan and Lowry continued to play in Toronto for another few years.

Also I’m not advocating to move Marner. Ideally we suck it up for another year and then we have Tavares coming off the books.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

We’re finally about to see this top six. Hopefully Keefe gives them at least 5 games together before dropping Knies to the 4th line.

The problem wasn't the top 6 lines for the most part. Sure we expect and need more from AM and MM but they have been pretty solid at the very least, to great in other instances. The top 4 players have the vast majority of the goals.

The big problem is the other 2 lines are patched weirdly. There's no chemistry and seemingly no right fit. All they can really do is sack the fourth line, which is absurd. It's early so we'll see how they improve but Treliving deserves all the heat for his recent off-season. If they don't improve, he will have taken a contender into the toilet... I'd be embarrassed as f*** if I were him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The problem wasn't the top 6 lines for the most part. Sure we expect and need more from AM and MM but they have been pretty solid at the very least, to great in other instances.

The big problem is the other 2 lines are patched weirdly. There's no chemistry and seemingly no right fit. All they can really do is sack the fourth line, which is absurd. It's early so we'll see how they improve but Treliving deserves all the heat for his recent off-season. If they don't improve, he will have taken a contender into the toilet... I'd be embarrassed as f*** if I were him.
Not sure why Reaves was a priority to get. That one still shocks me. At least he’s a cap hit where if waived we can bury the contract.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Thankfully the first round pick is still here for this season. Not that I think the Leafs will keep being bad or mediocre, but you never know sometimes.

The last thing this team needs is another high risk pending UFA acquisition that won't move the needle for a bunch of futures either.
They should try to get the PIt 1st from SJ just for the banter. :laugh:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Singularly, in a vacuum, sure. As a trio, plus Kampf and Reaves? Makes it very hard to make good use of the available personnel. Mix matters, and we didn't have to gamble across the board.
Thats fair

Hopefully it works itself out and we get them giving us good value as the season goes on

Reactions: kb

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
One of the best qualities Dubas had was his ability to acknowledge an error and rectify it. You saw it with Ritchie and then later with Mrazek, getting us out of 2 bad contracts

It's time to see if Treliving can do the same. Klingberg at 4 million and Reaves at 1.35 is just not worth it for this team and the cap structure we have. Accept the mistake and move on while we still have time to adjust

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One of the best qualities Dubas had was his ability to acknowledge an error and rectify it. You saw it with Ritchie and then later with Mrazek, getting us out of 2 bad contracts

It's time to see if Treliving can do the same. Klingberg at 4 million and Reaves at 1.35 is just not worth it for this team and the cap structure we have. Accept the mistake and move on while we still have time to adjust
Difference is Klingberg is one year and he can be easily moved before the TDL and (hopefully) we should not have to sweeten.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Glaring shortcomings defensively aside, Klingberg is arguably more valuable than either Ritchie or Mrazek were though because he is 2nd on the team in production and 3rd in TOI among blueliners (blueline depth is also being tested mightily with all of the injuries).

Regarding Reaves, his cap hit thankfully isn't as onerous in comparison to those aforementioned former Leafs.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Damn Andrew peeke has still only played one game. Still might try to swing for him, but other than that, I think it might be best just to stand pat at the TDL
Peeke seems like a great buy low candidate but I agree for the most part.
There are way too many holes in this roster to justify giving up any futures trying to fix it right now and absolutely nothing I’ve seen from Treliving would give me any confidence in his ability to fill those holes.

Reactions: Jacquestrapless

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
People keep trying to trade Jarnkrok despite him being by far the best secondary point producer on this team so far. One of the few great PKers we have left as well.

I wouldn't trade him unless it was a big overpay from another team.
Is he now? Guy has 1 goal and has been playing how many games now as our top line LW? I think he has 0 goals since joining that top line tbh. Keeping Lafferty over him probably would've been a better idea and he's probably a better PKer as well.

Reactions: arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is he now? Guy has 1 goal and has been playing how many games now as our top line LW? I think he has 0 goals since joining that top line tbh. Keeping Lafferty over him probably would've been a better idea and he's probably a better PKer as well.

He is, yeah. Definitely need more from him too, for the record, which speaks volume to how bad to average the other players have been outside of a few.

Signing Reaves to then trade Lafferty is a Treliving masterclass. Gonna be a fun few years with him at the helm.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Damn Andrew peeke has still only played one game. Still might try to swing for him, but other than that, I think it might be best just to stand pat at the TDL
Peeke seems like a great buy low candidate but I agree for the most part.
There are way too many holes in this roster to justify giving up any futures trying to fix it right now and absolutely nothing I’ve seen from Treliving would give me any confidence in his ability to fill those holes.

I said it before but if we had a player that was sitting on the bench for over 10 games, signed for 2-3-4 years close to 3M per year... We'd be talking how we'd have to trade picks and prospects to get a taker.

I'd be fine with taking a chance with him and making a hockey trade happen... but if he doesn't work out like he isn't working out in Columbus, it's adding another dead weight contract to a team that can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad