Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Desperately wanted these two back. Couldn't care less if they were overpaid given how the Leafs decided to spend the money.

Frankly, Leafs would've been better off mostly running it back with the TDL acquisitions of last season, save O'Reilly who didn't want to return but include Gustafsson and Lafferty. If we assume the contracts Acciari, Schenn, and Gustafsson got would all be the same here as they are elsewhere, Leafs could've still gotten Bertuzzi on the one year tryout and gotten Reaves and still had millions to spare for extra roster spots (like for Timmins) and the bottom six would actually have an identity instead of the mess it is now.

View attachment 762705

Yes the bottom 6 would still be hard pressed to score but f*** at least you know what you're getting there, a shutdown line and an energy line. Klingberg hasn't shown to be $3+ million better than what Gustafsson or an up and coming Timmins could bring. Plus we'd have that built in camaraderie that is so glaringly missing from the supporting cast on this team, bringing back guys who helped the Leafs finally get over the first round hump and they fought in the trenches against Tampa to do it.

Oh well, if ifs and buts and all that.
Schenn and Acciari wanted to go back to the US.

horner

May 22, 2007
Desperately wanted these two back. Couldn't care less if they were overpaid given how the Leafs decided to spend the money.

Frankly, Leafs would've been better off mostly running it back with the TDL acquisitions of last season, save O'Reilly who didn't want to return but include Gustafsson and Lafferty. If we assume the contracts Acciari, Schenn, and Gustafsson got would all be the same here as they are elsewhere, Leafs could've still gotten Bertuzzi on the one year tryout and gotten Reaves and still had millions to spare for extra roster spots (like for Timmins) and the bottom six would actually have an identity instead of the mess it is now.

View attachment 762705

Yes the bottom 6 would still be hard pressed to score but f*** at least you know what you're getting there, a shutdown line and an energy line. Klingberg hasn't shown to be $3+ million better than what Gustafsson or an up and coming Timmins could bring. Plus we'd have that built in camaraderie that is so glaringly missing from the supporting cast on this team, bringing back guys who helped the Leafs finally get over the first round hump and they fought in the trenches against Tampa to do it.

Oh well, if ifs and buts and all that.
That is why we need draft picks do that we don't have to always dip into the FA market.

Goal we are set Woll
Forwards we are set Knies Cowen Minten Roberyson next Grebyonkin the following year

Defence ? We need to rebuild
FA will will need 2 dman and trade for one
Then draft some dman

Dubas was always about forwards
Never looked after the D
You need some defensive tough dman to go along with the offensive dman
Ex Mo and Schenn

Last edited:
Reactions: dubplatepressure

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Is marner going back?

Kent Johnson is a core piece on an ELC for CBJ

Theres been rumours he might ask for a trade.

His agent has already had two clients ask out of Columbus lol

He would be an amazing option as a 3C that could be the 2C when he becomes better than Tavares. But it would still cost a ton obviously, 1st + Cowan+ just to get things started.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

He would be an amazing option as a 3C that could be the 2C when he becomes better than Tavares. But it would still cost a ton obviously, 1st + Cowan+ just to get things started.
True didnt know about the rumors

Would be a good get though Cowan has looked great in the OHL so far.

CBJ though, it will be next to impossible for them to build a legit contender if their young core ELC guys keep asking out

RyJo bacj in mid 2010s
PLD
Kent Johnson

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well I guess it’s a good thing Dubas got 10 years and treliving gets 10 games. The players haven’t found their groove. Have some patience.

I appreciate the need for some patience, but most of the new guys play was predictable, as it’s how they player with their other teams, if people were paying attention.

The Kampf situation was entirely predictable. Reaves was predictable, Domi is who he has been, as is Klingberg.

What’s worked with Matthews/Marner is high IQ, energy puck retrieval. Bertuzzi is normally decent at puck retrieval, but high IQ is questionable. That’s got the longest leash though.

The rest is exactly what people should have expected off-season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think Schenn would have preferred to stay in Toronto to be honest. 2.75 however is a little too rich for a career journeyman. I wouldn’t have gone higher than 2 million either.

Also, that number in Nashville is worth more due to them being a no-tax team.

However, I'm really not bothered by Schenn not being kept, for me the bigger issue is the new GM still hasn't acquired another top 3 D-man.

horner

May 22, 2007

Cowen is going to be a top player on a RLC contract no deal

Johnson another offensive forward .
-19 2 seasons ago
Doesn't play a 200' game
In the minors
1 game 2 pts -1

think defense first second and third

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why are they f***ed? They still have matthews and Marner.
They're the leaders of the "team", but the "leaderhip" is nowhere to be seen. This is not a team, it's a collection of individuals and that's not how you win in the playoffs.

In 7 years, they've managed to win 1 playoff round and lose 7, losing several times to underdog teams with much less talent in the process.

They've also showed many times over (the Boston game being the most recent example) that they're gutless pukes that don't stick up for each other. Ever heard the saying "a leopard can't change it's spots"? It would take a miracle for this group of individuals to win 4 consecutive playoff rounds so my best advice to you is start praying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it may have been a good idea to move on from Schenn and Acciari in hindsight. Acciari hasn't been good on Pittsburgh and Schenn hit injury issues the moment the season started for Nashville, so it's like that contract blew up in their faces in no time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I would love to somehow acquire one of Kent Johnson/Morgan Frost as well as Peeke or Tanev, in the mean time though and while dealing with injuries, I want the leafs to roll this:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Domi - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves (want anyone but reaves here but I know thats not happening)

Rielly - Kokkonen (let Mo try to carry him)
Brodie - Klingberg
Giordano - Lagesson

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Acquiring Peeke now would really help our blueline.

Rielly - Peeke
Brodie - Klingberg
Giordano - McCabe

Assuming McCabe is on a game by game basis.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Acquiring Peeke now would really help our blueline.

Rielly - Peeke
Brodie - Klingberg
Giordano - McCabe

Assuming McCabe is on a game by game basis.

Peeke goes from not playing to top pairing. Just call-up Benoit and put him there instead at this rate. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

With Liljegren out for a while, Timmins probably another month... Peeke would be OK as a depth piece in hopes he can play well enough to climb the depth charts. But there's no way you go out to grab him to play over 21 minutes a game off the bat. McCabe is miles better than him.

Also depends entirely what is being given up to acquire a player that isn't playing but signed for a few years at a pretty decent cap hit. The Leafs can't afford another dead weight contract

Reactions: uncleben

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

However, I'm really not bothered by Schenn not being kept, for me the bigger issue is the new GM still hasn't acquired another top 3 D-man.
He thinks he has

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

with what magic beans? No cap to acquire said D man even if there was one available.........

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Honestly I’d put the entire forward group into a blender. Nylander has been lights out but let Matthews and Marner carry their own lines if they want to be amongst the highest paid players. Everyone’s playing styles fit better IMO this way.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
with what magic beans? No cap to acquire said D man even if there was one available.........

With Marner or Nylander (with additions if needed) in the summer before the trade provisions kicked in. As for cap space that sorts itself once you have the balls to actually move players.

Reactions: nuck

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Honestly I’d put the entire forward group into a blender. Nylander has been lights out but let Matthews and Marner carry their own lines if they want to be amongst the highest paid players. Everyone’s playing styles fit better IMO this way.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves
Tbh I'd probably try something similar. I'd just stack up that 2nd line with Nylander and Marner on Tavares wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad