Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Come on spill the beans, inquiring minds and all…….
Effectively, we get Weegar + one of Raddysh or Ruzicka + another prospect from CHI or TB 1st

Nylander and Klingberg(25%) go to CHI

Cgy gets a combo of picks and players based on what we pick, possibly Raddysh, if we opt for Ruzicka.

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Effectively, we get Weegar + one of Raddysh or Ruzicka + another prospect from CHI or TB 1st

Nylander and Klingberg(25%) go to CHI

Cgy gets a combo of picks and players based on what we pick, possibly Raddysh, if we opt for Ruzicka.

I'd be okay moving Nylander/marner/Tavares/Matthews/Knies/picks/prospects/me if it makes the team better.

But why bother with players like Raddysh or Ruzicka?

Nylander and a scrub for Lindholm and Hanifin gets my attention.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd be okay moving Nylander/marner/Tavares/Matthews/Knies/picks/prospects/me if it makes the team better.

Lindholm would be a dream, but the D needs addressing too……

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Wrong guy from Calgary.

Also, with Peeke. If he can't crack CBJs lineup, can he really be expected to make an impact as a top 4 here?
I haven’t seen enough of Peeke to say if he is or isn’t the guy. From what I have seen I like him as a buy low candidate but I would need to see more to form a strong opinion.

But the fact that he isn’t making their lineup while mildly worrying shouldn’t be a deal breaker.
Teams make mistakes all the time. They decide to keep the wrong players sometimes. It happens. We have done it in the past and we have probably benefited from it a few times too.
The Ottawa Senators once decided Wade Redden was more important than Chara.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I haven’t seen enough of Peeke to say if he is or isn’t the guy. From what I have seen I like him as a buy low candidate but I would need to see more to form a strong opinion.

But the fact that he isn’t making their lineup while mildly worrying shouldn’t be a deal breaker.
Teams make mistakes all the time. They decide to keep the wrong players sometimes. It happens. We have done it in the past and we have probably benefited from it a few times too.
The Ottawa Senators once decided Wade Redden was more important than Chara.

Yeah, maybe a player who can't make the Leafs for him.

Fresh start for both.

But you don't want to send value for a prayer ... no religion in sports.

Reactions: cyris

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Why? depth reasons. If you were to move Nylander, after Marner the RW looks kind of shallow, Raddysh helps there. Ruzicka possibly could be an option at C. Big body, good possession #s, 20p 44gp last year.

Also, I'm not sure why Calgary would do that deal with Nylander. They probably want younger guys with term or control, no?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why? depth reasons. If you were to move Nylander, after Marner the RW looks kind of shallow, Raddysh helps there. Ruzicka possibly could be an option at C. Big body, good possession #s, 20p 44gp last year.

Also, I'm not sure why Calgary would, though. They probably want younger guys with term or control, no?

Lindholm can and has played center and wing.

Yes, Flames wouldn't but I wouldn't move Nylander for some hopefuls.

Reactions: arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Lindholm can and has played center and wing.

Yes, Flames wouldn't but I wouldn't move Nylander for some hopefuls.

Hopefuls is a bit harsh.

But if you can't resign Nylander, which I'm still very open to doing if the numbers work, it would beat losing him for nothing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

personally I don’t think trading nylander makes much sense atleast not for ufas

Reactions: Rocker13

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Yeah, maybe a player who can't make the Leafs for him.

Fresh start for both.

But you don't want to send value for a prayer ... no religion in sports.
Yeah I wouldn’t give up much for him. But for a contract we want to move and a late pick or a prospect we are ready to move on from anyway I’d be interested.

Reactions: ULF_55

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
use this as a retool year and change the make up of the team and recoup some assets please.

Bertuzzi is a much much better player we've seen but I think it's time to cut him loose pretty soon. It just isn't working out I don't think. A big shame because he's been a really good player over the years.

No idea who and where, but I think his value is still OK around the league.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bertuzzi is a much much better player we've seen but I think it's time to cut him loose pretty soon. It just isn't working out I don't think. A big shame because he's been a really good player over the years.

If we're borderlined at the TDL we should do okay on all of Brodie, Bertuzzi and Nylander (especially)

If we're borderline, I don't let Nylander's contract extension talks move beyond TDL, need to know going in.

Domi and Klingberg to a much lesser extent would get later picks like 4th-7ths

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we're borderlined at the TDL we should do okay on all of Brodie, Bertuzzi and Nylander (especially)

If we're borderline, I don't let Nylander's contract extension talks move beyond TDL, need to know going in.

Domi and Klingberg to a much lesser extent would get later picks like 4th-7ths

I'd punt him in the next week or so. Open cap space asap. I'm sure there's a team with cap space that would more than take a chance on a guy that can easily put up 20+ goals in a new environment. His NMC is a big problem but he seems like the kind of guy that will waive to a team if it's good.

Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd punt him in the next week or so. Open cap space asap. I'm sure there's a team with cap space that would more than take a chance on a guy that can easily put up 20+ goals in a new environment.

At the TDL with Bertuzzi, I thought New Jersey or Vegas made sense but right now? Hard to say, cap is a pain in the ass.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
At the TDL with Bertuzzi, I thought New Jersey or Vegas made sense but right now? Hard to say, cap is a pain in the ass.

If Anaheim keeps progressing I could see them being a team very interested and who doesn't want to go live/play in California?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I'd give him a longer leash personally.. I think his physical game is more suited for the playoffs. He just needs to settle into a role and the Leafs need to work him accordingly.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd give him a longer leash personally.. I think his physical game is more suited for the playoffs. He just needs to settle into a role and the Leafs need to work him accordingly.

Not gonna lie, frustrations are definitely taking over there but that's probably the better play.

Reactions: arso40

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Radical proposal: just hold serve for the year. No panic moves that empty our cupboards. This roster is too flawed to fix in-season without trading significant assets.

Not saying to give up, but rather to be realistic and don't make desperation moves. Our core (other than JT) is still young and entering their prime so our window is far from closed.

Extend Nylander immediately. Keep our 2024 1st, Cowan, and Minten. Give Robertson extended run to get comfortable.

Next off season we'll have 16-20M in cap space to fix our defence (Pesce/Tanev/Zadorov?) and add offensive depth (Lindholm/Guentzel/Stephenson?). Cowan and/or Minten will be another year older/better and could make our team out of camp giving us more flexibility and depth.
Knies and Woll will still be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad