Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Rielly played 300+ games before he broke out. Liljegren is at about 180 odd games. Rielly was also not a yo-yo and got consistent playing time for development purposes.

Giving up on a young D-man is really dumb. Liljegren's partners have been what? Oldman Gio; now Brodie? And before who?

Is this how you develop a young D-man? I also don't like that they have Knies play top line minutes instead of developing him lower down the order before going scorched earth on him
Lily also played like 150+ AHL games and Rielly played 0 so it's hard to compare the 2.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired one defenceman this week and plan on making another addition to their blueline before Friday’s 3pm ET trade deadline.

On Thursday evening, the Leafs landed Ilya Lyubushkin from the Anaheim Ducks in a three-way trade with the Carolina Hurricanes and gave up two draft picks.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving has been planning on bolstering his defensive corps and adding Lyubushkin was the first shoe to drop. Even before Lyubushkin was injured during Saturday’s game, Treliving was looking to acquire two rearguards. The extent of Lyubushkin’s head injury is not yet known publicly, and that could affect the team’s plans this coming week.

With relatively no salary cap space to work with, any new addition to the roster will likely result in another player being moved out either via a trade or through waivers.

The Leafs are believed to have varying degrees of interest in such defencemen as David Savard of the Montreal Canadiens, Matt Dumba of the Arizona Coyotes, Colton Parayko of the St. Louis Blues, Mario Ferraro of the San Jose Sharks and Joel Edmundson of the Washington Capitals, among others.

It is unclear whom the Leafs would consider moving out if they continue to add to their roster.

Treliving has also been scouring the market for a physical addition up front to deepen their bottom-six. As TFP’s David Pagnotta first reported last month, the Leafs have shown interest in Sharks forward Luke Kunin, who is in the final year of his contract and is eligible to become a restricted free agent July 1.

Reactions: Magic Man

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs Deadline Whispers with Elliotte Friedman | JD Bunkis Podcast

SPORTSNET

March 5, 2024

The JD Bunkis Podcast

Sportsnet's NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman joins JD Bunkis to discuss the Toronto Maple Leafs' trade targets, front office pressure, Nick Robertson, the goaltending battle, and the latest buzz around Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.

Reactions: Magic Man

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I’m telling you I would not be surprised if Lilly is part of a trade attached with the first round pick to bring in a real upgrade. If you’re going to move the first don’t you think the team should be aiming higher than Savard and Dumba??? These guys don’t move the needle

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Knies Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Toropchenko
Bertuzzi Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly Parayko
McCabe Lybushkin
Benoit Lilly
Lagesson

Our team keeps getting bigger and better like this

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Parayko, Toropchenko.

That's the all in for this year, do it Brad
If there's some form of retention on Parayko, I am warming up to the idea of this duo

Parayko is risky, but looking more at him he seems to check almost every box. He's big + mean, great defensively, and can carry the puck in transition.

The risk comes with the fact that he's 30, signed for a while, and already pretty slow. Retention would help in this case as we'd lower the cap hit and if it becomes an albatross, accept we have to pay a pretty penny to move off him

Torpchenko seems like a solid defensive option to play on the 4th line with Holmberg/Kampf

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What do we trade to get …
Blais
Torpochenko
Parayko

?

1st
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Liljegren
Timmins

St.L retains %50 on Torpochenko and $500,000 on Parayko (per year)

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Trading Lilegren would be a shame I hope we keep him. I'm fine with no more trades or another Lyubushkin type move. Keep the 1st, if we find another Knies/Lilly/Cowan/ etc that's going to be more useful than 15 games of Matt Dumba.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired one defenceman this week and plan on making another addition to their blueline before Friday’s 3pm ET trade deadline.

On Thursday evening, the Leafs landed Ilya Lyubushkin from the Anaheim Ducks in a three-way trade with the Carolina Hurricanes and gave up two draft picks.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving has been planning on bolstering his defensive corps and adding Lyubushkin was the first shoe to drop. Even before Lyubushkin was injured during Saturday’s game, Treliving was looking to acquire two rearguards. The extent of Lyubushkin’s head injury is not yet known publicly, and that could affect the team’s plans this coming week.

With relatively no salary cap space to work with, any new addition to the roster will likely result in another player being moved out either via a trade or through waivers.

The Leafs are believed to have varying degrees of interest in such defencemen as David Savard of the Montreal Canadiens, Matt Dumba of the Arizona Coyotes, Colton Parayko of the St. Louis Blues, Mario Ferraro of the San Jose Sharks and Joel Edmundson of the Washington Capitals, among others.

It is unclear whom the Leafs would consider moving out if they continue to add to their roster.

Treliving has also been scouring the market for a physical addition up front to deepen their bottom-six. As TFP’s David Pagnotta first reported last month, the Leafs have shown interest in Sharks forward Luke Kunin, who is in the final year of his contract and is eligible to become a restricted free agent July 1.
Physical bottom 6 player? I would like one Brandan Duhaime please

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd trade Lily in a package for Larsson or Borgen. It's easier to find a RD partner for Brodie than a top pairing RD for Rielly. You could make an additional trade for a guy like Savard or Jensen, or move McCabe up with Brodie and put Boosh with Benoit.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To trade Liljegren and keep Keefe would be maddening.

Keefe is a dime a dozen and not a coach I trust to develop any of our young talent.

Trading Liljegren because galaxy brain Keefe doesn’t know how to use him is just nucking futs.

Really done with Keefe. We need to move on.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What do we trade to get …
Blais
Torpochenko
Parayko

?

1st
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Liljegren
Timmins

St.L retains %50 on Torpochenko and $500,000 on Parayko (per year)

I think the chances of the Blues retaining on Parayko is less than 0.

Yes, it's a big cap hit, and he's 30, but I cannot see the Blues tying up 6 years worth of retention, no matter how small.

That being said, Parayko's $6.5m doesn't really scare me all that much. If there's one guy in the league that screams - this is the ideal partner for Morgan Rielly to log huge minutes, he's probably amongst the top guys.

The cap is going up, but significant amounts over the next few years. He doesn't need to be a #2 defenceman throughout the tenure of his contract.

That being said, I'm really not sure what St. Louis is thinking right now. They've got no rentals of significance. Parayko is the youngest of their top 5 defencemen at 30.... but quite a few decent prospects and young players up front.

They're a team that might really value a guy like Liljegren, or place some value on a guy like Timmins; although my strong preference would be to find a way to acquire Parayko, and keep Liljegren so that next year, you have Rielly-Parayko, McCabe-Liljegren as your top 4.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Can we not get a lister for a change?
When was the last time we got an a lister trade deadline?

Brian Leetch?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Brandon Tanev, Sam Carrick, Brandan Duhaime and Luke Kunin all fit the bottom 6 physical player Treliving is looking for

Can we not get a lister for a change?
When was the last time we got an a lister trade deadline?

Brian Leetch?
I mean i thought Ryan Orielly was an A lister? Heck even Nick Foligno when we acquired him

Reactions: aingefan

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Brandon Tanev, Sam Carrick, Brandan Duhaime and Luke Kunin all fit the bottom 6 physical player Treliving is looking for

I mean i thought Ryan Orielly was an A lister? Heck even Nick Foligno when we acquired him

Ryan O'Reily was a decent add. But I wouldn't consider him an A lister. Great player though.

Tanev would be a great add. Can't see Seattle getting rid him of though
I would put all my eggs in one basket and get a D. We need another D who can move the puck

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
overdrive boys saying it hasnt worked out as they liked with elias. tocchett and rutherford love guentzel
If they move both of their acquisitions this year...this year...it would signal they were completely unprepared to manage the franchise becoming a top team - Dubas level dysfunction.

Guentzel is a solid potential add for Vancouver but I think they're too soft up front and this acquisition won't change that.
Good point, and they're just getting their feet wet. They can look pretty slick but if they run into the Preds first round and Saros is hot it could be the makings of the big first round upset.

Reactions: BertCorbeau
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad