Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Personally I like Lily, but he also hasn't been able to fully cement himself as a true second pairing guy. Keefe/coaches also don't exactly trust him either.

I can see him getting dangled by Tre for a more proven vet with term
The problem with Lilly is like you said, he hasn't been able to take that next step and becoming a true top 4 d-man, and the coaches don't trust him in the playoffs, he struggles with playoff hockey.

Another factor is Treliving like's to build his d-core a certain way, as shown in Calgary and to a degree here in Toronto with Boosh trade / Beniot signing and to a degree the Klingberg signing (6ft 2), Lilly doesn't fit that mold.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
The problem with Lilly is like you said, he hasn't been able to take that next step and becoming a true top 4 d-man, and the coaches don't trust him in the playoffs, he struggles with playoff hockey.

Another factor is Treliving like's to build his d-core a certain way, as shown in Calgary and to a degree here in Toronto with Boosh trade / Beniot signing and to a degree the Klingberg signing (6ft 2), Lilly doesn't fit that mold.
You know he had Andersson, Kylington, and Weegar on his blueline, right?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
How about Pacioretty as a cheap winger option?

Probably won’t cost a ton in assets and at 50% retained it’s adding only 1 mill in cap.

Reactions: ashs

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No patience.. feels like Stralman vibes
IDK what this team is basing this off of. He was put with a 40 year old Gio and all considered was fine. He gets more minutes and was doing well with it, and now that pair with Brodie had their first bad game and they are apparently close to being done with him?
This team makes no sense. They are going to do the same thing with Niemela. Just trade both of them if thats the case.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To Toronto-
Chychrun
Zub
Pinto

To Ottawa-
Brodie
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Niemela
Minten
1st Round Pick

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Pinto-Marner
Knies-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Zub
Chychrun-Liljegren
McCabe-Lyubushkin
Benoit
Who does Treliving have naked pictures of in Ottawa for the Senators to make that trade?

That package from Toronto doesn’t sniff that package from Ottawa.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
RE: Liljegren

Defense you see really see 25-27 what you really have unless you have a phenom.

We don't have the patience in this market and the timeline is off, plus I think we flat out suck at developing defense.

Now, can you build a defense outside of the draft? Yes - Devils signed Hamilton, traded for Sieganthaler and Marino. They drafted Hughes but you could find another LD if you had to, they did have Graves as well. I blame their goaltending more than their defense they assembled.

Stralman and Forsling are 2 guys I think took a while to develop. I think Marcus Pettersson on Pittsburgh was basically considered a cap dump a couple years ago and has taken a couple of years to take the next step but last year, he's been good.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It's funny, Lilj is 1" shorter and 5lbs heavier than Kling according to hockeydb while looking way shorter and much thicker.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
IDK what this team is basing this off of. He was put with a 40 year old Gio and all considered was fine. He gets more minutes and was doing well with it, and now that pair with Brodie had their first bad game and they are apparently close to being done with him?
This team makes no sense. They are going to do the same thing with Niemela. Just trade both of them if thats the case.

When Rielly has been out, Lily has done well in bigger minutes.

He’s barely at 200 games played too… get’s a great candidate to low ball for term and watch him mature into a steady defender.

He’s also had that high ankle sprain this year.

One issue with Keefe it seems is his ability to develop young players at the NHL level. There have a been a fair share of Marlies graduates and Keefe can’t seem to develop them into quality staples of the line up.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dermott, Sandin, and now maybe Lilly. Maybe it's team's development system thats the problem.
All 3 defensemen are of a similar style....not exactly undersized but not big enough to be a physically imposing shutdown defensemen while at the same time not having the required combination of skill to produce offense as a defensemen in the NHL. I have my fears that Neimela will be joining that group in the next few years. We have just continually drafted a certain profile of defensemen that I think is somewhat flawed.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rielly played 300+ games before he broke out. Liljegren is at about 180 odd games. Rielly was also not a yo-yo and got consistent playing time for development purposes.

Giving up on a young D-man is really dumb. Liljegren's partners have been what? Oldman Gio; now Brodie? And before who?

Is this how you develop a young D-man? I also don't like that they have Knies play top line minutes instead of developing him lower down the order before going scorched earth on him

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I definitely don’t want to move on from Liljegren. I think he’s someone who can be your #4 if you have a strong top four next to him. If you have another borderline second pairing dman next to him, he’s more of a #4/5. I wouldn’t mind trying Benoit - Liljegren on the third pair and trying to find McCabe a better partner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rielly played 300+ games before he broke out. Liljegren is at about 180 odd games. Rielly was also not a yo-yo and got consistent playing time for development purposes.

Giving up on a young D-man is really dumb. Liljegren's partners have been what? Oldman Gio; now Brodie? And before who?

Is this how you develop a young D-man? I also don't like that they have Knies play top line minutes instead of developing him lower down the order before going scorched earth on him

Liljegren did get more AHL seasoning than Rielly to be fair.

I would have liked to have both the LW and centre depth to bring Knies along more slowly too.

ROR returning would have been a good guy to learn from.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I think the biggest problem with Lilly is Keefe. If the coach doesn't like you, you are kind of screwed. It shouldn't take a Rielly suspension to get him important minutes. If he has value in the trade market and can be a component in adding a veteran RD then I am good with him being dealt. If the return is weak, why bother because Keefes replacement may get better results? If you want to add a decent RD with term then a young RD that still hasn't peaked might work for the right trade partner. Just would not want to deal him for a declining vet like Jensen or Savard.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Liljegren did get more AHL seasoning than Rielly to be fair.

I would have liked to have both the LW and centre depth to bring Knies along more slowly too.

ROR returning would have been a good guy to learn from.

I've always been of the opinion that you can't develop D-men in the AHL. The quality of the forwards they face in AHL vs NHL the difference is significant!

I'd give Lily one more year at least to see how he is developing after not being a yo-yo because of freakin' Holl and getting consistent minutes. This is the year of evaluation of young talent IMO on top of retooling.

In terms of Knies I wouldn't mind if they ran

Jankrok-Matthews-Nylander
Bert-Domi-Marner
Knies-Tavares-McMann
4th line

I prefer having Matthews and Marner on different lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad