Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
32 Thoughts: A note on every team to open trade deadline week - Sportsnet.ca

26. Toronto Maple Leafs: The Maple Leafs keep losing defencemen. Conor Timmins gets sick, Timothy Liljegren is hurt, so is Mark Giordano. They go out and get Ilya Lyubushkin. Of course, he gets hurt in his first game. Name a defenceman, they’ve looked at him: the Seattle guys, Dumba (unlikely), Edmundson, Ferraro, Hanifin, Jensen, Savard, Seeler, Tanev, Walker, Zadorov, etc., etc. They’d like a more permanent, long-term solution, but that’s a big price if even available.

They have also looked at a depth forward/centre.
When Nick Robertson was sent down, he was told it was purely for roster reasons and he’d be back, a rationale he accepted in the short term. I see a team with holes, but, as Bill Parcells always says, “You are what your record says you are,” and this year’s Maple Leafs have done a great job, considering the craziness on defence and in goal.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Well of course. He is to be a sweetener in the Walker deal.:thumbu:
I'm not sure you even need inside information to know that Jones would probably be claimed if put on waivers.

He was solid in the games he played, and there are enough teams with injured or "missing" goalies that could use a guy like him if available for free.

Reactions: LeafSteel

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Feels like every year the Leafs trade for the few guys I don't want. Preparing myself for one of Wennberg / Savard.

Wennberg is a solid 3rd line C, wouldn’t be a terrible get.

Bertuzzi - Wennberg - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok

Actually might work out well. Wennberg can do what Domi can’t defensively and cover for Nylander/Bertuzzis deficiencies.

Domi becomes pretty much useless though..

Domi - Kampf - Holmberg

Would be a no identity 4th line

Reactions: aingefan

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Friedman keeps mentioning Jensen in connection to the Leafs. If we got him, we'd need 50% RETAINED
Toronto had 8 starting quality defenseman for the playoffs last season. Even with Lube, I count 7 right now. Another defenseman for this run makes sense. Jensen coming in pushes Lube to #6-7 where he would be competing with Benoit for ice time. Jensen is more capable of playing more minutes per game.

Going into next season with Matthews and Nylander's extensions with Tavares still on the books it will be tight. Brodie is expiring and the Leafs could use a natural RHD to replace him. Jensen at 2.025M for 2 years and McCabe still at 2M for next season in the Leafs top-4 would help the Leafs stay competitive and under the cap.

Seeler would be a good back up plan. He's cheaper to acquire and he has strong re-sign potential. It puts another Gudas style brawler in that top-7 to claw with Benoit and Lyubushkin for minutes.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1709581547775.png

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Reactions: aingefan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
View attachment 829226

Kraken selling? Hope they’ve put Larsson and Borgen on the table.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Some guys fit better in different environments. Some guys elevate their play with better teams around them.

Numbers are a part of the story. We should have learned that from the Dubas era
Guys like JFresh are trying to turn hockey into a game of Top Trumps.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Laughton doesn’t make a ton of sense for us if we are gonna keep using JT as 3C imo
I'd move JT to line 1 LW and drop Knies to the 3rd line where he belongs and can take advantage of lesser matchups

Reactions: bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad