Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Never count out Boston. They are run by really intelligent and good people.
Last season was their chance to make a run, and they made some great deadline moves. I think everyone on their team understood that this season would have to be a step back given their cap situation and the impending loss of Bergeron. They had a great start to this season, but eventually midnight was going to strike.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Because it generally leads to better long term results.
Yes, when taking a look at the big picture, which I don't think you are. Your focus is on a single line, and limited data points, instead of how it's affected the whole team, and multiple data sets. The team is performing better this way, in totality...

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
So you want to flip everything that has been working over the last 10 games where we're 9-1 and put Tavares back with Nylander, why!?
This.

Overall, I don't think the Leafs should mess with chemistry. Such an important factor. It took more than half of the season for the new guys to finally fit it. (with the exception of Benoit)

One more move on D and that's it.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I don't mind the idea of Eller and it doesn't bug me he may be too similar to Kampf. Having a guy that can play centre or wing responsibly is important. This team has blown a few too many leads this year. Not so bad in the regular season, but one blown lead in the playoffs and that could be the difference.

I think about most recently on this streak, Philly and the Rangers game. It's possible with a player like Eller, those don't go to overtime. One more responsible forward would really help.

I wouldn't mind offering Hirvonen or Moldenhauer and it's a perfect storm with them being Dubas draftees. I wouldn't offer up much more. Would prefer dealing some prospects at this point over picks... we've dealt a few too many. 2025 is going to have to at least be replenished somewhat. Can't go into a draft without a pick til the 5th.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
My deadline week wishlist

Depth:
Trenin
Lazar
Leason
Emberson

Big move:
Weegar
Crouse
Jenner

Weegar is pretty close to exactly what our blueline needs (other than of course landing an elite #1 Norris calibre dman).

-Right handed shot
-Plays physical/ blocks shots
-Can move the puck
-Can play all situations
-Can play 20+ minutes a night

Only negative is that it'd be nice if he were 6'2+ 210lbs+.

Caphit is reasonable, though the contract goes until age 37 and could be ugly for a good ~3 years or so. But to fill a hole we've legit been trying to fill for ~15 years, it may be worth the risk.

Personally if I'm Calgary, with Lindholm/Tanev traded, and Hanifin almost certainly gone, the likelihood of them contending in the next ~2-3 years while Weegar is still in his prime is quite low, so holding onto him runs the risk of them not really benefiting from his good years, and then his contract being a bit of an anchor just as they're starting to compete again. So there haven't been any real rumours of him being available, but if I were Calgary, id be looking at it pretty closely.

Reactions: arso40

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I wouldn’t mind trying to find someone who can play with Matthews and Marner. Doesn’t need to be a top line player, just someone who can complement those two.

________ - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg
I think NickRob is the roster guy, and you just do some coaching, mix and match who plays beside AM&MM and who flanks JT.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok have been a line for 1 game and they had a 96% xGF. That’s pretty encouraging. Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander put up great results together but that left a bad 3rd line. Maybe the solution is:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

That Domi line was great when they played together and it gives Domi a responsible defensive player. Either way I don’t see how the lines stand out with Domi at wing given the lackluster C options on the market

Edit: nevermind that Domi line got killed in that game despite out scoring.

Yep, 1 game ...

As for the Bertuzzi-Domi combination ... looks like the new line might be justifying their signing.

Unless they were signed to be 3rd. liners, and now they're playing with a 1st. liner.

As 3rd. liners they're okay.

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I think Brad goes all in this year. I think Brad does a type of deal with he gets a forward and a defenseman back with term.

It doesn't make sense to trade a 3rd next year when now the nearest pick we have is a fifth next year, and we're facing a Florida or a Boston in this year playoff. I think you go all in or you don't.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think Brad goes all in this year. I think Brad does a type of deal with he gets a forward and a defenseman back with term.

It doesn't make sense to trade a 3rd next year when now the nearest pick we have is a fifth next year, and we're facing a Florida or a Boston in this year playoff. I think you go all in or you don't.
We desperately needed a RD.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

As I suspected and what it sounds to me is that Dumba was on the same tier as Lyubushkin, as in they were targetted to bolster the bottom pairing and RD depth.

Not to say that Dumba can't also be acquired if nothing else comes up and he comes in relatively dirt cheap, and with Lyubushkin potentially already injured, maybe they don't have a choice to also get Dumba.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I agree I think it’s either going to be a bigger move or nothing. We already did our small depth move with Boosh.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Feel like Leafs are gearing for another depth piece. You don't fix the defense on the deadline.

This summer they need a significant defensive piece added for sure.

Rielly - ____
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - _____ (maybe Niemela)

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
i honestly believe hes been the perfect fit for that line hes got the best shot of anyone who could play that position and matthews is an underrated passer couple that with giving marner another option so people cant cheat on matthews that line could be a very elite one

Reactions: aingefan

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Friedman said that the leafs dont want to waive Martin Jones because they have intel the flyers are 100% putting ina claim. So they're keeping him away from the Flyers
Use as a sweetener on a deal for Laughton.

Reactions: OVO16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad