Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think they will get home ice whether they keep that line together or not simply because Boston is falling so hard. But I have also been saying for months that Domi can't be the third line centre, and any line that has both Domi and Bertuzzi on it is going to be a problem defensively no matter who the third guy is on the line. I still think Treliving will acquire another centre at or before the deadline, but in the meantime I'm sure Keefe will keep that line together so long as the team is winning.
Never count out Boston. They are run by really intelligent and good people.

Reactions: HolyCrap

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So our two bottom 6 centers would be Eller and Kampf? I have a feeling secondary scoring is going to become a talking point pretty quickly

His 12 goals ties Tyler Bertuzzi. It would be a fluid situation whether to stack him and Kampf on a line or not. Domi has given the Leafs some breathing room since switching to center because they were in desperate need of it but I think he'd be far better suited in a winger role.

It does create a bit of a log jam though so I'm not sure if it's a great solution or position to be in.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I prefer a process over results approach, especially when the results aren't being driven by the line in question.

All of the underlying metrics show that they have been caved in during their minutes, despite favorable zone starts, and are being floated by puck luck. I'm not sure which part of this you don't understand. The line is playing like shit, but Bertuzzi and Nylander are benefiting from unsustainable shooting percentages which is artificially inflating their raw goal totals.
I prefer results bc over the past few years, I am really sick of winning the advanced stats Cup instead of the Stanley Cup.
The fact that the lines are all clicking and the team is winning and not due to some insane goaltending numbers are great to see.

JT and Willie are by far the worst pair the Leafs had over the past season. Just glad Keefe sees it that way too.

Also, I don’t understand which part of 9-1 that you do not understand. Or are you one of those who look at stats and take comfort in Leafs getting great stats and earning respect at the hand shake line and everything is great if only they didn’t insert whatever the reason….

Now can the line be better, ofcourse they can, but the answer is not JT, and Leafs is much better off putting JT away from Willie then putting back together.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Admittedly I have never been overly high on Hirvonen and his start with the Marlies hasn't really changed my perception either. But either way, the basis of a decent prospect for Eller would be interesting to bolster the center position and give the Leafs good center depth.

Eller does have 1 more season on his contract and he's definitely regressing so there's some risk for the Leafs to take on his 2.45M cap hit.
I think there is an NHL player there, and I wouldn't want to quit on him because of an injury riddled rookie campaign in the NHL. I like your idea though and think Eller could make alot of sense.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Admittedly I have never been overly high on Hirvonen and his start with the Marlies hasn't really changed my perception either. But either way, the basis of a decent prospect for Eller would be interesting to bolster the center position and give the Leafs good center depth.

Eller does have 1 more season on his contract and he's definitely regressing so there's some risk for the Leafs to take on his 2.45M cap hit.
Eller do get PP time with the Pens, but I do think he is a better option than Kampf. Not sure if having two of them is a good idea.

Reactions: horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Eller do get PP time with the Pens, but I do think he is a better option than Kampf. Not sure if having two of them is a good idea.

Bertuzzi has 82 PP minutes total. Eller 76 of PP minutes.

Eller PKs a lot as well and is 54% on faceoffs.

I also agree, it's a bit of a weird solution but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something the Leafs look at based on the Pens requirements.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I prefer a process over results approach, especially when the results aren't being driven by the line in question.

All of the underlying metrics show that they have been caved in during their minutes, despite favorable zone starts, and are being floated by puck luck. I'm not sure which part of this you don't understand. The line is playing like shit, but Bertuzzi and Nylander are benefiting from unsustainable shooting percentages which is artificially inflating their raw goal totals.

Ahh. Yes the xStanleyCup winners.

His 12 goals ties Tyler Bertuzzi. It would be a fluid situation whether to stack him and Kampf on a line or not. Domi has given the Leafs some breathing room since switching to center because they were in desperate need of it but I think he'd be far better suited in a winger role.

It does create a bit of a log jam though so I'm not sure if it's a great solution or position to be in.

Domi’s results have always been better as a C

Reactions: horner and SprDaVE

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
How does a second line that is getting destroyed at evens make sense? To excarbate matters further the third line (McMann-JT-Jarnkrok) isn't working nearly as well as the line that was broken up to make it (Bertuzzi-JT-Nylander) despite playing easier minutes.
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok have been a line for 1 game and they had a 96% xGF. That’s pretty encouraging. Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander put up great results together but that left a bad 3rd line. Maybe the solution is:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

That Domi line was great when they played together and it gives Domi a responsible defensive player. Either way I don’t see how the lines stand out with Domi at wing given the lackluster C options on the market

Edit: nevermind that Domi line got killed in that game despite out scoring.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ahh. Yes the xStanleyCup winners.

Domi’s results have always been better as a C

Iffy results defensively and even just looking at him closely in the defensive zone... it's not great, but he has produced and has done better than I would have thought in the position.

The rumours of the Leafs wanting a center slowly faded after Domi's switch to center and they are likely happy with him there.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
With how limited our cap space is, I am not sure who we can bring in or how we can afford them. Despite that, have to believe the Leafs are in on some of the following:

Jensen
Jenner (highly unlikely)
Savard
Walker
Toffoli
Wennberg
Dumba
Maybe Frost or Laughton?

Once again, cap and limited trade options really puts us in a bind this TDL

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Domi has played his best up the middle this season, got his offense going.

Plus with Tavares dropping to play more of a third line role, I don’t know if I see the need for.

What that lineup has allowed is more versatile offensive depth, which has been a big factor on this run.

Eller is also signed for next year.

Scion

May 25, 2012
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok have been a line for 1 game and they had a 96% xGF. That’s pretty encouraging. Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander put up great results together but that left a bad 3rd line. Maybe the solution is:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

That Domi line was great when they played together and it gives Domi a responsible defensive player. Either way I don’t see how the lines stand out with Domi at wing given the lackluster C options on the market

Edit: nevermind that Domi line got killed in that game despite out scoring.
There really aren't any great options.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I prefer results bc over the past few years, I am really sick of winning the advanced stats Cup instead of the Stanley Cup.
The fact that the lines are all clicking and the team is winning and not due to some insane goaltending numbers are great to see.

JT and Willie are by far the worst pair the Leafs had over the past season. Just glad Keefe sees it that way too.

Also, I don’t understand which part of 9-1 that you do not understand. Or are you one of those who look at stats and take comfort in Leafs getting great stats and earning respect at the hand shake line and everything is great if only they didn’t insert whatever the reason….

Now can the line be better, ofcourse they can, but the answer is not JT, and Leafs is much better off putting JT away from Willie then putting back together.
With all due respect there is so much in this post that I disagree with that I don't think it would be worth either of our time to debate it further. So I will agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel426

Scion

May 25, 2012
I don't think at all the Branden Tanev is availble but if he is you jump on that
Agreed, he is one of the best forecheckers in the NHL and you can never have enough of those. I actually think he would look great on one of the top two lines as a complimentary forward or as a key member of the third line.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think at all the Branden Tanev is availble but if he is you jump on that

Agreed, he is one of the best forecheckers in the NHL and you can never have enough of those. I actually think he would look great on one of the top two lines as a complimentary forward or as a key member of the third line.

I like him but he's more or less Jarnkrok with a bigger contract. And turning 33 years old this year. He works hard and he's pretty gritty and all that but pretty iffy offensively . On pace for his worst season yet. There's no chance the Leafs take on a struggling winger in their current situation, especially if they want a valuable return.

Last edited:

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
You can't have enough young guys on cheap contracts. Trade a couple young guys like Nick Robertson, Alex Steeves and Topi Niemelä, etc. for different (and bigger/tougher) young guys that fit the GM/coach's preferences for the future. Maybe next year they can play for the big club if our scouts are successful finding a diamond in the rough.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Bertuzzi hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he's been here

The problem with our bottom 6 is guys are either offensive or defensive, more than one guy being able to do both wouldn't hurt

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
Domi - XXXXXXXX - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Kampf - McMann

The other option is to make Domi the 4C, and use Kampf in a match-up role, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - McMann
So you want to flip everything that has been working over the last 10 games where we're 9-1 and put Tavares back with Nylander, why!?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Noting... WIlly/JT/Bert have scored 16 goals, have 12 against this year. THey also do well in the xGF.

If that's a terrible result, so be it...

Noting Willy/Domi/Bert is 7 for 5 against. So really, pretty close to the same actual result, though they do poorly in advanced stats.

Where it gets interesting, is JT/McMann Whether it's with NIcky Bob or Jarnkrok... they are 4-1 and 1-0 WIth JT/McMann and Jarnkrok, they are also outshooting the opponent 14-2.

Robby/Domi/Jarnkrok are 11-8

If you go Willy/JT/Bert... Robby/Domi/Jarnkrok it's 27-20
If you go WIlly/Domi/Bert.... JT/McMann or Robby/Jarnkrok it's 12-6 ... and we are 9-1

Matthews/Marner/Knies are 23 for, 11 against on the year... I mean, if your top three lines can go 35-17... your special teams and 4th line don't suck, you are going to win a lot of games.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Why would anyone prefer a process over results process in sports?

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
after this trade:

You mean there’s no shit left in the cabinets?

Not a perfect solution but with the report that the Pens want prospects over picks and looking at their roster, Lars Eller could be a decent veteran pick-up. Offensively, he's pretty average at best but he does have 12 goals on the year. He's also 3rd in TOI/G among forwards on the Pens and their top PKer next to Acciari. His defensive metrics are very good as well in those minutes.

I don't think it would take a great prospect to get something done either. I've suggested it before but Hirvonen probably still holds some value as a prospect with potential and Dubas likely knows him decently well since he drafted him.

He doesn't fit the physical/tough type of player but he would bolster the center position and he's someone that definitely can play in a defensive/shutdown role very well even at his age. And he has plenty of playoff experience and cup ring.

Quick, who do we have in the minors who’s small, not very physical, and is destined to fail? That’s the guy you offer Pittsburgh for Eller…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad