Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stamkos is a no from me. He's falling harder than Tavares at this point. Still putting up points, but he's a winger, and his defense has taken a nose dive. He's a -24 on the season, and I appreciate that +- isn't the be all and end all... but come on with him.

Steven Stamkos is definitely not welcome as far as I’m concerned. Snubbed us in 2016 when the Leafs were willing to hand him the keys to the franchise. If Tampa kicks him to the curb he can go to Columbus.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
Domi - XXXXXXXX - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Kampf - McMann

The other option is to make Domi the 4C, and use Kampf in a match-up role, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - McMann
The issue I see here is neither of Domi or Jarnkrok have really drove a line. Who do you acquire that makes that 3rd line usable?

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
That's great... but then you've got to replace forwards going out next year... and where we had ELC's, we will need free agents... it just isn't a great idea to get of all of those guys, and you certainly don't make that kind of a drastic move this late in the season.

I mean... keep on using it, keep on winning, and keep on holding those players accountable to play D properly too.. If the team is winning, and we can get those guys to tighten up, maybe it works... and if not, change the lines, which isn't hard.
Replace forwards going out next year? In this trade your losing Jarnkrok and replacing him with Tanev, and losing Robertson who's not even with the big club right now. This trade doesn't affect us replacing our forwards next year at all.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They are now, but I would bet on that changing in R1. Even if the Leafs don't add a C I can't see Keefe going with Domi at C on the road, and he certainly won't continue to run Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander who have been outscored and outchanced together.
Bertuzzi and Nylander look good with JT. Good advanced stats at least but Tavares needs to get back to his career average shooting pct for them to be really effective. Domi has one good fit and thats between Jarn and Robertson. Again, better advanced stats than evidenced scoring but they play at a pace together that works and generates shots. McMann actually generates a positive Corsi % with Kampf which is a huge accomplishment because Kampf doesn't shoot.

I don't know if it would sustain with more minutes given but Domi is effective with the right 2 guys,

Scion

May 25, 2012
The issue I see here is neither of Domi or Jarnkrok have really drove a line. Who do you acquire that makes that 3rd line usable?
There isn't anyone available before the deadline that will help to drive our third line. However, I will settle for a center that can break even in their minutes.

Now if I were the coach I would have 34, 16 and 88 earn their keep by driving their own line.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Replace forwards going out next year? In this trade your losing Jarnkrok and replacing him with Tanev, and losing Robertson who's not even with the big club right now. This trade doesn't affect us replacing our forwards next year at all.

So you move out Jarnkrok for Tanev and getting more physicality, but less offense by a large margin, and you hope there is chemistry, where there is none..

Really on the Robertson comment... lol

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t mind trying to find someone who can play with Matthews and Marner. Doesn’t need to be a top line player, just someone who can complement those two.

________ - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There isn't anyone available before the deadline that will help to drive our third line. However, I will settle for a center that can break even in their minutes.

Now if I were the coach I would have 34, 16 and 88 earn their keep by driving their own line.
I look at the top 3 lines as is and they all make sense. McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok is a good stylistic fit for Tavares and they can realistically win 3rd line minutes. I can see an argument for bumping McMann out of the top 9 and moving Domi around but there aren’t many combinations with Domi at LW that make sense and is prefer they focus their assets on the blue line.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
So you move out Jarnkrok for Tanev and getting more physicality, but less offense by a large margin, and you hope there is chemistry, where there is none..

Really on the Robertson comment... lol
Less offense? Neither player has ever had more then 39 points in a season so the offense is a wash between the 2. While Tanev brings more intangibles to the team, especially come playoff time.

As for Robertson, he has had multiple opportunities to prove he belongs in the NHL and has yet to prove he belongs. I have 0 problem moving him in a deal that makes our team better, which this deal does significantly

after this trade:

I understand the joke if the players we were getting were UFA'S but all players we'd be getting back are signed for multiple seasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Less offense? Neither player has ever had more then 39 points in a season so the offense is a way between the 2. While Tanev brings more intangibles to the team, especially come playoff time.

As for Robertson, he has had multiple opportunities to prove he belongs in the NHL and has yet to prove he belongs. I have 0 problem moving him in a deal that makes our team better, which this deal does significantly

Robertson will be back with the big club shortly. He was sent down as he was the only one who could pass through waivers, not because he couldn't stick. Perhaps you aren't aware of what's going on?

Jarnkrok has double the points of Tanev this year, and is 0.43 PPG, while Tanev is 0.33 PPG career...

""

Plus it's a trade that just isn't going to happen, for so many reasons. Seattle wouldn't do it either... no reason to.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I look at the top 3 lines as is and they all make sense. McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok is a good stylistic fit for Tavares and they can realistically win 3rd line minutes. I can see an argument for bumping McMann out of the top 9 and moving Domi around but there aren’t many combinations with Domi at LW that make sense and is prefer they focus their assets on the blue line.
How does a second line that is getting destroyed at evens make sense? To excarbate matters further the third line (McMann-JT-Jarnkrok) isn't working nearly as well as the line that was broken up to make it (Bertuzzi-JT-Nylander) despite playing easier minutes.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Less offense? Neither player has ever had more then 39 points in a season so the offense is a wash between the 2. While Tanev brings more intangibles to the team, especially come playoff time.

I understand the joke if the players we were getting were UFA'S but all players we'd be getting back are signed for multiple seasons.
Those three aren't the ones we would blow the cupboard for. We need cheap contracts for us to navigate next season and I don't think those are game breakers IMO. I believe Larsson is definitely a want but that is still a very steep price with barely anything remaining.

I want Tanev for his awesome pictures but even then that wouldn't be the price I am willing to pay.
1709520866681.png

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How does a second line that is getting destroyed at evens make sense? To excarbate matters further the third line (McMann-JT-Jarnkrok) isn't working nearly as well as the line that was broken up to make it (Bertuzzi-JT-Nylander) despite playing easier minutes.
Getting destroyed? Scores more goals than the opposition?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
9-1 records. Let’s stick with the lines for a bit.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I wouldn’t mind trying to find someone who can play with Matthews and Marner. Doesn’t need to be a top line player, just someone who can complement those two.

________ - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg
Anthony Duclair.

Scion

May 25, 2012
9-1 records. Let’s stick with the lines for a bit.
I prefer a process over results approach, especially when the results aren't being driven by the line in question.

Getting destroyed? Scores more goals than the opposition?
All of the underlying metrics show that they have been caved in during their minutes, despite favorable zone starts, and are being floated by puck luck. I'm not sure which part of this you don't understand. The line is playing like shit, but Bertuzzi and Nylander are benefiting from unsustainable shooting percentages which is artificially inflating their raw goal totals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I prefer a process over results approach, especially when the results aren't being driven by the line in question.
That said, unless and until the results change for the worse, I'm not sure it makes sense to alter the process. I will be more interested to see how the team, and in particular that line, plays in the two Florida games rather than the Boston games.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not a perfect solution but with the report that the Pens want prospects over picks and looking at their roster, Lars Eller could be a decent veteran pick-up. Offensively, he's pretty average at best but he does have 12 goals on the year. He's also 3rd in TOI/G among forwards on the Pens and their top PKer next to Acciari. His defensive metrics are very good as well in those minutes.

I don't think it would take a great prospect to get something done either. I've suggested it before but Hirvonen probably still holds some value as a prospect with potential and Dubas likely knows him decently well since he drafted him.

He doesn't fit the physical/tough type of player but he would bolster the center position and he's someone that definitely can play in a defensive/shutdown role very well even at his age. And he has plenty of playoff experience and cup ring.

Last edited:

Scion

May 25, 2012
That said, unless and until the results change for the worse, I'm not sure it makes sense to alter the process. I will be more interested to see how the team, and in particular that line, plays in the two Florida games rather than the Boston games.
Experimenting with this look against potential playoff opponents is a perfectly defensible strategy. What I don't like is keeping the lines intact just because the team is winning. That is bad process IMO.

Not a perfect solution but with the report that the Pens want prospects over picks and looking at their roster, Lars Eller could be a decent veteran pick-up. Offensively, he's pretty average at best but he does have 12 goals on the year. He's also 3rd in TOI/G on the Pens and their top PKer next to Acciari. His defensive metrics are very good as well in those minutes.

I don't think it would take a great prospect to get something done either. I've suggested it before but Hirvonen probably still holds some value as a prospect with potential and Dubas likely knows him decently well since he drafted him.

He doesn't fit the physical/tough type of player but he would bolster the center position and he's someone that definitely can play in a defensive/shutdown role very well even at his age. And he has plenty of playoff experience and cup ring.

Lars Eller would be a fine get, but I wouldn't give up Hirvonen for him personally.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Why wait until the results change for the worse? The Leafs are still in contention for home ice in the first round.
I think they will get home ice whether they keep that line together or not simply because Boston is falling so hard. But I have also been saying for months that Domi can't be the third line centre, and any line that has both Domi and Bertuzzi on it is going to be a problem defensively no matter who the third guy is on the line. I still think Treliving will acquire another centre at or before the deadline, but in the meantime I'm sure Keefe will keep that line together so long as the team is winning.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not a perfect solution but with the report that the Pens want prospects over picks and looking at their roster, Lars Eller could be a decent veteran pick-up. Offensively, he's pretty average at best but he does have 12 goals on the year. He's also 3rd in TOI/G among forwards on the Pens and their top PKer next to Acciari. His defensive metrics are very good as well in those minutes.

I don’t hate this….

Reactions: SprDaVE

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not a perfect solution but with the report that the Pens want prospects over picks and looking at their roster, Lars Eller could be a decent veteran pick-up. Offensively, he's pretty average at best but he does have 12 goals on the year. He's also 3rd in TOI/G on the Pens and their top PKer next to Acciari. His defensive metrics are very good as well in those minutes.

So our two bottom 6 centers would be Eller and Kampf? I have a feeling secondary scoring is going to become a talking point pretty quickly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lars Eller would be a fine get, but I wouldn't give up Hirvonen for him personally.

Admittedly I have never been overly high on Hirvonen and his start with the Marlies hasn't really changed my perception either. But either way, the basis of a decent prospect for Eller would be interesting to bolster the center position and give the Leafs good center depth.

Eller does have 1 more season on his contract and he's definitely regressing so there's some risk for the Leafs to take on his 2.45M cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad