Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Stamkos is a no from me. He's falling harder than Tavares at this point. Still putting up points, but he's a winger, and his defense has taken a nose dive. He's a -24 on the season, and I appreciate that +- isn't the be all and end all... but come on with him.
Exactly, no from me too. He had his chance to be a Leaf, and all he did was use our Leafs to get a bigger contract from Tampa.

He is well past his best by date too. At least Taveras willingly signed with his hometown team. Maybe he's now paid too much, but at least he can chip in a goal here and there as well as win face offs.

f*** you Stamkos !!!

Reactions: DirkStraun

Scion

May 25, 2012
Tavares is more than fine as 3C. It’s 2C that was an issue. I’m glad he’s finally being placed I where he belongs and can excel better.

I have no doubt Knies will one day be consistently playing with Matthews but for right now, I’d love to see a third line of Knies - Tavares - McMann. All three are big, Knies and McMann can skate on the wings, Tavares is elite in the dot and all 3 can play a dump and chase/cycle game.
Look at time on ice, JT is a 3C in name only. The only drop off has been to JT's PP TOI, but he is still playing more than Domi and is our 2C.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They seem like a club that has painted themselves into a corner even if they make the money fit somehow. Are they a solid LD away from being a top team again? Will that fix Vasi's .896 sv%? And what do they have to trade? It will be fascinating to watch if they can swing it.

Hanifin wanting Bruins/Lightning/Panthers likely entails a sign and trade.

The return could just be a player without protection under contract long term.

Lightning defense going forward could be:

Hedman
Sergachev
Cernak
Hanifin

My guess Stamkos is not re-signing there for the same money. I doubt he moves, but will get less money.

Flames aren't rebuilding. They're getting assets for players who are going to leave the organization.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think DeMelo stays in Winnipeg but if he hits the market, he's my #1 target.
Forsling should be everyone's top target if by some act of god he becomes a UFA. That guy is a top pair D on a championship calibre squad and his skating ability would transform our transition game.

Reactions: Roo

Scion

May 25, 2012

Hedman
Sergachev
Cernak
Hanifin

My guess Stamkos is not re-signing there for the same money. I doubt he moves, but will get less money.

Flames aren't rebuilding. They're getting assets for players who are going to leave the organization.
The Flames have to get Howard + 2026 1st if Hanifin is coming with an extension. The Lightning have no interesting young players or prospects outside of that.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Scion

May 25, 2012
Is Howard that good or is he just their best prospect?
A bit of both. He looks like a future NHL player, but also wouldn't be many teams best prospect. I also don't know what else they can offer of value. They have no expendable young players, and no 1st round picks until 2026. By process of elimination, Howard + 1st is the most competitive offer they can make, and maybe Sheary added to fit in Hanifin's salary.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A bit of both. He looks like an NHL player, but also wouldn't be many teams best prospect. I also don't know what else they can offer of value. They have no expendable young players, and no 1st round picks until 2026. By process of elimination, Howard + 1st is the most competitive offer they can make, and maybe Sheary added to fit in Hanifin's salary.

I don't think they have a problem with the Cap as Sergachev won't be back before the playoffs if then.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Exactly, no from me too. He had his chance to be a Leaf, and all he did was use our Leafs to get a bigger contract from Tampa.

He is well past his best by date too. At least Taveras willingly signed with his hometown team. Maybe he's now paid too much, but at least he can chip in a goal here and there as well as win face offs.

f*** you Stamkos !!!
I am okay with Stammer if he takes the hometown special of 1mil/yr

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Never underestimate the Lightning's willingness to get their player.

In February, the Predators sent Jeannot, 26, to the Lightning in exchange for a hefty package that included defenseman Cal Foote, their third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks in 2023, a second-round pick in 2024 and a protected 2025 first-round selection.

1st., 2nd., 3rd., 4th., 5th. and Foote for Jeannot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Hedman
Sergachev
Cernak
Hanifin

What gets subtracted from the Lightning? No first or second in this and next year's draft. Thin prospect pool without even a Minten or a Cowan to call their own. Basically Howard, Finley, Goncalves and Ethan Gauthier are their only first and second round drafted prospects since 2020. Roman Schmidt maybe?

Maybe they dump Cirelli or something. Seems like Lightning fans don't love him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What gets subtracted from the Lightning? No first or second in this and next year's draft. Thin prospect pool without even a Minten or a Cowan to call their own. Basically Howard, Finley, Goncalves and Ethan Gauthier are their only first and second round drafted prospects since 2020. Roman Schmidt maybe?

Maybe they dump Cirelli or something. Seems like Lightning fans don't love him.

I could see the Flames entertain players who they can insert into their line-up immediately, with perhaps picks the land in the future.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Doesn’t feel like Tampa has the assets at this point to make a serious run at Hanifin.

Hopefully he goes to the metro if he’s coming east.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Tried that to start the year. Domi’s better at C, more engaged and sees the ice better in transition. Tavares to 3C has changed the landscape for this season, I don’t think we’re in the market for a centre anymore, not a top 9 one anyway.

Reactions: aingefan

Scion

May 25, 2012
Tried that to start the year. Domi’s better at C, more engaged and sees the ice better in transition. Tavares to 3C has changed the landscape for this season, I don’t think we’re in the market for a centre anymore, not a top 9 one anyway.
I remember, he is most effective offensively in space and doesn't get off the wall well. But he will have to figure it out there because he is not a serious option down the middle against Boston or Florida.

And look at TOI, JT hasn't been 3C for a single game.

Reactions: aingefan

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I remember, he is most effective offensively in space and doesn't get off the wall well. But he will have to figure it out there because he is not a serious option down the middle against Boston or Florida.

And look at TOI, JT hasn't been 3C for a single game.
Call the lines whatever you want, point is Matthews Tavares Domi are the top three centres. LW is even more of a logjam, Domi upgrade sounds like an offseason move, wouldn’t hold your breath on anything happening here. Especially with our limited capital.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Scion

May 25, 2012
Call the lines whatever you want, point is Matthews Tavares Domi are the top three centres. LW is even more of a logjam, Domi upgrade sounds like an offseason move, wouldn’t hold your breath on anything happening here. Especially with our limited capital.
They are now, but I would bet on that changing in R1. Even if the Leafs don't add a C I can't see Keefe going with Domi at C on the road, and he certainly won't continue to run Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander who have been outscored and outchanced together.

horner

May 22, 2007
Never underestimate the Lightning's willingness to get their player.

In February, the Predators sent Jeannot, 26, to the Lightning in exchange for a hefty package that included defenseman Cal Foote, their third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks in 2023, a second-round pick in 2024 and a protected 2025 first-round selection.

1st., 2nd., 3rd., 4th., 5th. and Foote for Jeannot.
Still don't understand that pne

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Hanifin is good but I don't really see the need. He's not the side we need and we'd have to give up a crazy amount especially to the flames. No thanks. It's a rhd or forget it. Just wait until the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad