Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hanifin wanting to go to Tampa and Calgary not really wanting to deal with Tre on any of their D when they have so many the Leafs could use is sooo Leafs. Ugh

Reactions: hockeywiz542

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s scary Friedman mentions Dumba with the Leafs. Only way I could somewhat accept a trade with him is if Bjugstad is part of a trade
Even that doesn’t make Dumba a good pick up imo…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yep. The only major move where we can say he crushed it was acquiring Muzzin. We paid for it but he played like a #1D for years.

The Nylander contract was the major win of his contracts and even that was MANGLED on year 1.

I will also give credit that early returns on Rielly are very positive.

The rest are unprecedented and poor
His capitulation on the Nylander contract was a huge mistake, he should have let him sit the season out and establish who wields the hammer and who is the nail regarding RFA’s, would have sent a message to the players that the woodshed has been burned down……..

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If they strike out on a bigger target I wonder if LA/NJ would consider taking a shot at Sammy if he can have another start like last night.

Something around Roy or Toffoli with an add on our end would be interesting.

Reactions: LeafSteel

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Tre should dangle the first plus Minten for a legit top 4 RHD.
We are overrating Minten, he's barely a bit over point per game in the WHL in his D2 season.
I don't think anyone here expects Minten to be a top 6 player that puts up 60 pts. More so that he bring something to our pool that is lacking. Which is he is one of our only natural centers, he's big, throws the body, will fight, brings a strong defensive game and is decent on the PP.

If we trade him, we don't really have any one coming up that looks like they could play 3C anytime soon.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If they strike out on a bigger target I wonder if LA/NJ would consider taking a shot at Sammy if he can have another start like last night.

Sammy’s not going anywhere, platooning him and Woll for the remainder of the season will ensure fresh goalies for the playoffs, heck I wouldn’t move Jones either, the depth in net is priceless in the event of one or both guy’s going down with injury…….

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't think anyone here expects Minten to be a top 6 player that puts up 60 pts. More so that he bring something to our pool that is lacking. Which is he is one of our only natural centers, he's big, throws the body, will fight, brings a strong defensive game and is decent on the PP.

If we trade him, we don't really have any one coming up that looks like they could play 3C anytime soon.
I think after the draft treliving said you need centers and defense
So yes I would be shocked if Minten was traded.

Only way I would trade Sammy if Murray is going to be ready for the playoffs

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sammy’s not going anywhere, platooning him and Woll for the remainder of the season will ensure fresh goalies for the playoffs, heck I wouldn’t move Jones either, the depth in net is priceless in the event of one or both guy’s going down with injury…….
Hildeby is better than most 3G's anyways, but you can always take back another veteran G in a different deal who is already in the minors.

Improving the forward or defense group is more important than hanging onto Sammy imo.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean 3C is a pretty gaping hole.
Of those players listed as C's in this league, ours are 4th, 31st and 56th in scoring.

So high end 1st line C.
Low end 1st line C.
Low end 2nd line C.

Where is the gaping hole, and why?

Pesce, Montour, Roy and Tanev for sure, Forsling is another guy you didn't mention that would be a nice add if he hits the market.

There is no shortage of defense options
The discussion had only been about RD... so I didn't mention any LD.

Hildeby is better than most 3G's anyways, but you can always take back another veteran G in a different deal who is already in the minors.

Improving the forward or defense group is more important than hanging onto Sammy imo.
Hildeby has been pretty good with the Marlies, but has zero games at the NHL level, so it's impossible to say he's better than any 3G's.

Sammy stays for the season. He had a good game last night too.

Reactions: aingefan and rumman

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
DeMelo is a +30 and it's not by accident. He's a UFA we should target this summer, and he doesn't really have the offensive production to command big dollars. Could slide nicely beside Rielly, a younger version of Tanev.

Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
DeMelo is a +30 and it's not by accident. He's a UFA we should target this summer, and he doesn't really have the offensive production to command big dollars. Could slide nicely beside Rielly, a younger version of Tanev.

Jets have $13. 9 in cap space... and only DeMelo, Dillon a backup goalie, Monahan and Perfetti to sign... you'd think the D and Perfetti would a priority, and there is a decent amount of space to work with there.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Agreed. Minten fills a need this team is constantly lacking and searching for every year. Not every prospect needs to project to be Matthews and Marner unless you don't have a Matthews nor Marner.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Why do we want to put a 60% in the dot guy on the wing? Seems strange.
He can continue to take all the face-offs. I just do not think Tavares in 2 years will be able to do the defensive work of a C.

If you got the right wingers, it will not be a problem for a while. So if Leafs management is reading this... Sign McMann to an extension!

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
McMann has 9 hits and 9 shots in his last 2 games.

Bettman going to say we're cheating having JT in the bottom 6 and fine us.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He can continue to take all the face-offs. I just do not think Tavares in 2 years will be able to do the defensive work of a C.

If you got the right wingers, it will not be a problem for a while. So if Leafs management is reading this... Sign McMann to an extension!
I think that's the key. He's still an effective player for the most part, and seems to have a bit more skating speed right now too.... But find him the right wingers. Him taking the faceoffs for Minten, doesn't help Minten develop there either.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Tavares is more than fine as 3C. It’s 2C that was an issue. I’m glad he’s finally being placed I where he belongs and can excel better.

I have no doubt Knies will one day be consistently playing with Matthews but for right now, I’d love to see a third line of Knies - Tavares - McMann. All three are big, Knies and McMann can skate on the wings, Tavares is elite in the dot and all 3 can play a dump and chase/cycle game.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think that's the key. He's still an effective player for the most part, and seems to have a bit more skating speed right now too.... But find him the right wingers. Him taking the faceoffs for Minten, doesn't help Minten develop there either.
If they cannot extend Domi or grab another c, I would try Minten with Nylander next year. Nylander has never needed a good c. Posters want Wenneberg as a Ufa, but Minten could to that job just obviously not at the same level as a rookie.

I want to use most of the cap on top 4d and let the youngsters fill in upfront next year.

Tavares is more than fine as 3C. It’s 2C that was an issue. I’m glad he’s finally being placed I where he belongs and can excel better.

I have no doubt Knies will one day be consistently playing with Matthews but for right now, I’d love to see a third line of Knies - Tavares - McMann. All three are big, Knies and McMann can skate on the wings, Tavares is elite in the dot and all 3 can play a dump and chase/cycle game.
I do not think it is 2c vs 3c for Tavares. It is about building a line that suits Tavares strengths.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Usually I’d agree with this however Woll has only played one game back and who knows if his ankle is ready for a heavy workload, Sammy has looked pretty dRn good of late so I’d rather have both goalies than just one.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad