Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
With how limited our cap space is, I am not sure who we can bring in or how we can afford them. Despite that, have to believe the Leafs are in on some of the following:

Jensen
Jenner (highly unlikely)
Savard
Walker
Toffoli
Wennberg
Dumba
Maybe Frost or Laughton?

Once again, cap and limited trade options really puts us in a bind this TDL
I think those last two concerns are a lil overblown from the team perspective, and definitely from the division perspective.

Can’t forget, it’s not just TO that was using their future assets. They were in an arms race and their main competitors blew through tons of assets too. The cost of competing is what it is, and hasn’t been limited to TO.

Ps, i really like the Frost idea so much moving forward. I have no idea why his name gets floated, but that’s a good buy low option for the future of the top six.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed, he is one of the best forecheckers in the NHL and you can never have enough of those. I actually think he would look great on one of the top two lines as a complimentary forward or as a key member of the third line.
I like the fit of this player, but not sure where I’d rank it in terms of priorities.

He seems a good bet to fill the dearly departed Zach Hyman role, which was the engine on the lines he was on the last few years here.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Friedman said that the leafs dont want to waive Martin Jones because they have intel the flyers are 100% putting in a claim. So they're keeping him away from the Flyers
Well of course. He is to be a sweetener in the Walker deal.:thumbu:

Reactions: bax

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Barrett Hayton
To Arizona: Nick Robertson + NYI 3rd Rounder

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Hayton - Nylander
Domi - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Reaves/Holmberg

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I’ve liked the Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander line for the most part, but I think a more responsible defensive center would really benefit that line. Hayton has the IQ and skating ability to keep up with Bertuzzi and Nylander and hopefully it’ll help him breakout.

I think NickRob is the roster guy, and you just do some coaching, mix and match who plays beside AM&MM and who flanks JT.
I like Robertson, I think he’s an NHL player with a solid NHL career ahead of him. Just not sure that’s in Toronto though. I’d be fine with moving him for the right price especially with Cowan coming in next year. Cowan will be in the same situation as Marner was after his D+1 where he’s too good for the OHL but not old enough for the AHLso he’ll probably find himself in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like Robertson, I think he’s an NHL player with a solid NHL career ahead of him. Just not sure that’s in Toronto though. I’d be fine with moving him for the right price especially with Cowan coming in next year. Cowan will be in the same situation as Marner was after his D+1 where he’s too good for the OHL but not old enough for the AHLso he’ll probably find himself in the lineup.

He's shown he can play in the NHL.

His game is very flawed though, not sure how much he'd be capable of handling in the playoffs.

Regardless, there are very few untouchables in the league, and they definitely aren't 3rd. liners.

It's always about the return.

And unless someone asks for him by name, he is still waiver free.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The issue I see here is neither of Domi or Jarnkrok have really drove a line. Who do you acquire that makes that 3rd line usable?
Florida will use and abuse this lineup

There is absolutely no physicality at all in this forward group
The Florida rats will be salivating looking at that lineup

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
To Toronto: Barrett Hayton
To Arizona: Nick Robertson + NYI 3rd Rounder

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Hayton - Nylander
Domi - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Reaves/Holmberg

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I’ve liked the Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander line for the most part, but I think a more responsible defensive center would really benefit that line. Hayton has the IQ and skating ability to keep up with Bertuzzi and Nylander and hopefully it’ll help him breakout.

I hear you; I hope it doesn’t play out that way personally.
Fair enough about Cowan taking a spot, but i see enough room for both, and a need for two roster spots making their combined money. Especially with Nick looking strong and productive on his off wing. Not too many leafs shoot it like him.
If he were flipped for another young dude, I’m not sure Hayton would be it. I’ve soured on him abit, despite the positional advantage.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I get the reason to retain and everything. But man oh man every deal with the retention. We are really paying out the ass to retain on every deal. It adds up. If it's depth, fine pay a 7th to retain. Or if you are really getting a great player and need to retain, fine, pay the price. But potentially retaining on these meh/mushy middle guys. It's getting to be a lot. Not to downplay Lyubushkin but kind of annoying we had to retain on him as well.

Foligno, Giordano, O'Reilly, McCabe, Lyubushkin. How many additional picks have gone out the door. I was looking up why we only have NYI's 3rd and not our own. The 2024 3rd was part of the Gio/Blackwell deal. It's like, still? 2 years later still paying for it. I get Gio re-signed but still. It's just annoying that the price of potential depth is costing double due to retention and yes that is the price of doing business for a contender, but if that's the case, go bigger game hunting, like the O'Reilly deal.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I like Robertson and probably more than the average fan. This team will also need cheap players that can produce in the next little while. And I think there is the potential there for him to score 25 goals one day.

But there's also the point of risking his value. His value could rise if he gets better and thrives. But if he can't thrive with this team, his value will only tank from here on out.

I think there needs to be a bit of a tough decision to be made. If he's not going to thrive here and his name has come up in talks, maybe now is the time to deal him. I don't want to deal him, but we are kind of at that exact point right now.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Even if Robertson gets called back up, I don't see him playing playoff games unless multiple leafs get injured

He's too small to be a bottom 6 player and have to assume the Leafs will get another depth bottom 6 player before the trade deadline which will even complicate things for Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad