Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Would you trade it for Roy w/ an extension?
No. I'd rather retain the 1st and take my chances on Matt Roy for cap space in the off-season. I'm only doing that type of deal for a cream of the crop, needle mover type of player. Matt Roy is good, but players like him are available every free agency.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Soooo...swing for Parayko? I know he hasn't looked good this year, but he's only 30 and at his best is one of the better defensive dmen in the league and has no issue logging 23+ minutes/game. Also a cup winner, which we don't have on the roster.

We'd also be buying low I think due to his poor play this year, but he's a prime bounce-back candidate...and if he does bounce back, $6.5m is a bargain for a legit first pairing RHD.

Blues won't retain so we'd have to send back some salary, which might be tricky.

I don't know if this can be done before the deadline even if the Blues were selling low, and they likely are to some degree.

It could be a bit of a Phaneuf level trade (multiple average assets for multiple average assets), but I don't think the Leafs would make that kind of move now either. They are rare and typically a top team doesn't need to make this kind of trade -- they wanna purely add.

They really just need to be patient and evaluate the market.

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I'm just super pissed that again, a guy that was rumoured to be on the Leafs radar but would require a 1st to get it done ultimately gets traded for scraps.

Zadorov? Scraps
Tanev? Scraps

Who's next? Maybe he'll get moved to someone else for scraps+future scraps
Conroy blinked first. I think he gets that 1st on deadline day, but I understand why Conroy pulled the trigger now given Tanev's age and injury history.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm just super pissed that again, a guy that was rumoured to be on the Leafs radar but would require a 1st to get it done ultimately gets traded for scraps.

Zadorov? Scraps
Tanev? Scraps

Who's next? Maybe he'll get moved to someone else for scraps+future scraps

would a prospect. 2 3 be that much different to a 1st

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Positively I think this deal will have a positive impact for buyers on the market.

That said seems more likely than ever that the Flames would rather not deal with Tre if they don't have to (remember Leafs also looked at Zadorov who they opted to trade elsewhere for fairly cheap).

Leafs tdl move(s) likely will be elsewhere....

It was such a tepid auction for Tanev in the end, and Dallas just came in and hit the Buy Now button.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

How about Justin Holl at 50% retained. In exchange:

1709174407054.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like teams started asking ridiculous prices for these guys and buyers stopped calling.

Yeah, I mean it's still just Chris Tanev, not Pronger. That big, defensive stalwart type of player is extremely valuable, absolutely necessary to have success in the playoffs, I love and appreciate them... but the difference between a really good one, and a pretty good one isn't that dramatic.

My thinking is if we have to spend the first, I'd rather package it up and get a bigger fish, longer term so it's solving roster needs for 2024, 2025 and hopefully beyond. We don't have a first next year so this buy would have to cover 2 playoff runs at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad