Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
All fair points, but if he becomes less and less available due to LA's internal perception of competitiveness for the stanley cup wouldnt it make him more and more valuable to them in terms of obtaining? Thus making him higher on your list than if they were clearly missing the playoffs? :sarcasm:😋
Limited resume.

Next to the names around him who has he had or will he have a better career than?

He also might be a nasty re-sign for his skill set. How high are you willing to pay this player? Long term, high salaries tied into relatively average players isn't highly appealing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Matt Roy would be my number 1. I would pay 1st for him with an extension.

I still think the 25th for Tanev plus 40th seems like the best example

I would try that and Trenin for a 3rd.

He would cover reeves if he can’t play.

Knies Matthews. Marner
Bert. Domi. Nylander
Robby. Tavares. Mcmann
Holmberg Kampf. Trenin

Reilly. Tanev.
McCabe Brodie
Benoit. Lilly.

Still have 2, 4, 5, 5,5 6, 7 or something
wheres jarnkrok??? and mccabe and brodie are proven not to work those are the first guys out on the pk too which needs to change going forward for us to have any success in the playoffs

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Mario Ferraro. Won’t cost as much as Tanev or Hanifin. Still only 26 years old, not a rental. Unless a top calibre player is available that isn’t a rental I’m not interested in moving our FRP or Cowan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Our top need is undeniably a true RHD to play with Rielly.

Watching Colorado play, I think our 4th line needs to be improved upon too. Ours won’t hold up in the playoffs and it will be a weakness.

I trust Treliving to recognize this.

Jarnkrok coming back will help the 4th line, either he's going on it or somebody else will move down the lineup

Either way that's a big upgrade

Reactions: Buds17 and SprDaVE

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just reading through here it's pretty obvious out of the guys we believe may be available that Tanev is by far the best fit for Rielly

The guys a defensive rock, who's managed to stay fit for the last few years and would fit our team and MO like a glove

Maybe we just trade the first and try to get a 3rd or 4th back? It's not ideal to move our first but I don't see any other way right now

Reactions: CincoHolio

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Just reading through here it's pretty obvious out of the guys we believe may be available that Tanev is by far the best fit for Rielly

The guys a defensive rock, who's managed to stay fit for the last few years and would fit our team and MO like a glove

Maybe we just trade the first and try to get a 3rd or 4th back? It's not ideal to move our first but I don't see any other way right now
A first round pick is what it will end up costing for any team, so I really don't see the big deal. If it's not the Leafs, it will be a team like Edmonton or Dallas. Unless they think they can do better (i.e., Hanifin), I would go get Tanev now and pay the necessary cost. This team can win the Cup this season. To pass on that opportunity for the sake of the 25th overall pick is not logical.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Glad to hear we're back in on Mario Ferraro.

If we're going to burn assets, it has to be on young guys who still have their best post-season to give. Free this guy from San Jose.

After likely paying a premium to outbid others for Ferraro, where are you going to play him?

Our current LHD:
Rielly
Brodie
McCabe
Benoit
Lagesson
Giordano

Our RHD:
Liljegren
Timmins

LHD is not where we need to spend scarce assets to improve upon, unless you are moving multiple LHD in other deals.

Makes no sense to me at all….

Mario Ferraro. Won’t cost as much as Tanev or Hanifin. Still only 26 years old, not a rental. Unless a top calibre player is available that isn’t a rental I’m not interested in moving our FRP or Cowan
I asked this question before of a Ferraro booster with no response.

Interested to hear what yours is to my question.

Cheers.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Someone needs to start putting pamphlets in JT's locker.

Robidas island is going have some vacancies next year.

1708896220029.png

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Markstrom and Tanev would make me go out and buy another jersey, maybe even sell my car and buy half a playoff ticket.
I think if you add Markstrom and Tanev to this team, or their comparables in Nashville, we are looking at the Leafs as the Cup favourite.

• Wow
Reactions: Atrusai

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1708903679871.png

Nashville retained 250k on Ekholm for multiple years.

They got;

1st
Good prospect
Cap dump
Extra pick

I don't know if it can happen in season with the cap but in the off-season would this not be comparable for Weegar?

1st
Robertson / Minten
Kampf
5th

Reactions: uncleben

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
View attachment 825277

They got;

1st
Good prospect
Cap dump
Extra pick

I don't know if it can happen in season with the cap but in the off-season would this not be comparable for Weegar?

1st
Robertson / Minten
Kampf
5th
I would very easily do this.

I think Weegar's contract is longer than Ekholm's so not sure how that would play into this but Weegar is excellent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would very easily do this.

I think Weegar's contract is longer than Ekholm's so not sure how that would play into this but Weegar is excellent.

It is longer and no retention is occurring

Schaefer whom is a good prospect in the deal but Robertson is a bit more established. Minten would be considered as promising I imagine.

Kampf runs 1 extra year longer than Barrie but is less $$.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It is longer and no retention is occurring

Schaefer whom is a good prospect in the deal but Robertson is a bit more established. Minten would be considered as promising I imagine.

Kampf runs 1 extra year longer than Barrie but is less $$.
I would say Minten and Schaefer are good comps in terms of value. Minten is showing more offensive upside in the CHL but Shaefer plays a more physical game.

I would be all over this trade. I know the last few years of Weegar's contract are expcted to be less than idea but the time to win is now and 6-7 years from now should't be seen as an issue.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
A first round pick is what it will end up costing for any team, so I really don't see the big deal. If it's not the Leafs, it will be a team like Edmonton or Dallas. Unless they think they can do better (i.e., Hanifin), I would go get Tanev now and pay the necessary cost. This team can win the Cup this season. To pass on that opportunity for the sake of the 25th overall pick is not logical.

Then let another team overpay. Hainsey, Lyubushkin, Luke Schenn were cheap alternatives who weren't supposed to bring out the best in Rielly, but they did.

Explore an alternative that fits our price range, we can still sign Tanev in the off season for cap space. He's a perfect fit for Mo in the short term, but not the only option out there.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
I asked this question before of a Ferraro booster with no response.

Interested to hear what yours is to my question.

Cheers.
So he is another lefty. TJ looks like a lefty again, and so is Morgs and Benoit so even with McCabe on the right it seems like it doesnt work. He does look like an interesting player but I kind of see him as another Benoit. Can he play the right?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
View attachment 825277

They got;

1st
Good prospect
Cap dump
Extra pick

1st
Robertson / Minten
Kampf
5th
I would do that without thinking twice which makes me think Calgary wouldn’t. If Calgary made that trade they’d be looking at Huberdeau, 2 1sts, Minten, Kampf for Tkachuk which looks awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad