Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Glad to hear we're back in on Mario Ferraro.

If we're going to burn assets, it has to be on young guys who still have their best post-season to give. Free this guy from San Jose.

For forwards, keep it simple. Yakov Trenin would be a nice add. We have enough skill. Get rid of Jarnkrok who is a worse swiss army knife than Kerfoot. Add someone who actually specializes in something instead (gritty high energy bottom 6 play, will help wear the opponent down in playoff series).

Trenin has a 17 goal season under his belt too. I can see him crashing in a few much needed depth goals in the playoffs. Even 1 goal per series would be a significant bottom 6 add.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I think Nashville has multiple pieces that can be had that will fill holes for us.

Someone on the main board suggested our 1st and a prospect + money (Timmins?) for Carrier and Trenin. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Sissons is my main target but I dont see them moving him.

Carrier would be a better "bang for your buck" addition with Trenin attached, than throwing our first at Tanev. Trenin would be a great playoff addition.
Neither player is worth a 1st, I don't have interest in moving a 1st for players who can bolt to free agency in 3 months. I'm all for moving that pick as long as the incoming player has term attached.
For forwards, keep it simple. Yakov Trenin would be a nice add. We have enough skill. Get rid of Jarnkrok who is a worse swiss army knife than Kerfoot. Add someone who actually specializes in something instead (gritty high energy bottom 6 play, will help wear the opponent down in playoff series).

Jarnkrok is exactly what Kerfoot was supposed to be for us, and at a cheaper cap hit.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Lol. One game. I'd still trade him for a Tanev.

You are a dreamer. One game! What's he at 9 goals!? Don't make me laugh. I'd trade him for a late first and flip it for Tanev in a heartbeat.
i mean we could and get a 3 liner as well to play with jt but i think id keep him now just interesting to see how we make the money work

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Neither player is worth a 1st, I don't have interest in moving a 1st for players who can bolt to free agency in 3 months. I'm all for moving that pick as long as the incoming player has term attached.

Jarnkrok is exactly what Kerfoot was supposed to be for us, and at a cheaper cap hit.
I'm with you on that sentiment but who is available with term that we are looking at? I'm under the impression our 1st will be traded for Tanev so i'm just exploring our options. Carrier and Trenin both check a lot of boxes and getting both for our 1st which is probably getting traded anyway is very good value. Trenin is a hitting machine and I can just imagine Boston or Tampa getting him just to add more terror against a team like us.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Are you forgetting Woll? You can probably go out and remove all your assets to get a goaltender because that's what it would take to get a true upgrade, but it would be a weird move to make with Woll returning from injury (and was the #1 before said injury) and Samsonov playing back to his value from the previous season.

Why does he need a veteran goaltender when he has Samsonov and Jones, both with played of experience.
Woll's been injured. TD is around the corner. Tre has to believe in the tandem going into the playoffs. If he doesn't they are going to try and get another

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Woll's been injured. TD is around the corner. Tre has to believe in the tandem going into the playoffs. If he doesn't they are going to try and get another

Woll is healthy. He played a game with the Marlies already. Likely will be back with the Leafs by next week.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Woll is healthy. He played a game with the Marlies already. Likely will be back with the Leafs by next week.
Yes I know but he's been out for a while. He's gotta come back and produce. Even then Tre probably tests for another.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
2021 the big rumour was Foligno (vs. Hall). 2022 I don't really remember but Gio was a possibility. Last year ROR and McCabe were at the top of the rumour mill. I realize this is different management but still. Where there is smoke there's fire and all that. I'm feeling Tanev always has been and will be the guy. If the 1st rounder needs to go, Treliving needs to get creative and get more back.

Or recoup the pick like the Sandin deal, though I don't think there is anyone in the org that fits that bill you'd want to deal. Sandin was more of a unique situation that doesn't always arise.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Question for those advocating for Carrier: where do you see him slotting for us?

I’m heartened that he is at least a right shot defender, but are you slotting him with Rielly? Is that the suitable position for him or do you have him lower?

If you are thinking lower, based on the potential price required to acquire him vs the price to acquire Peeke, is he that much better of a fit for us than Peeke?

Genuinely asking as I’m not familiar with Carrier. Seems a little small and doesn’t appear physical so I’m curious why so many seem high on him whereas Peeke, who would appear to come much cheaper and does play more physically isn’t someone with a lot of advocates.

Personally I think Peeke on 3RHD with Benoit is a solid and hard to play against pairing.

Genuinely interested to hear from others about Carrier’s upside, where you would slot him, and what you think his acquisition cost would be.

Cheers

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Question for those advocating for Carrier: where do you see him slotting for us?

I’m heartened that he is at least a right shot defender, but are you slotting him with Rielly? Is that the suitable position for him or do you have him lower?

If you are thinking lower, based on the potential price required to acquire him vs the price to acquire Peeke, is he that much better of a fit for us than Peeke?

Genuinely asking as I’m not familiar with Carrier. Seems a little small and doesn’t appear physical so I’m curious why so many seem high on him whereas Peeke, who would appear to come much cheaper and does play more physically isn’t someone with a lot of advocates.

Personally I think Peeke on 3RHD with Benoit is a solid and hard to play against pairing.

Genuinely interested to hear from others about Carrier’s upside, where you would slot him, and what you think his acquisition cost would be.

Cheers
personally id play peeke with rielly he comes off as a poor mans trouba which is great at his price and cap hit at worst he's ceci I'm willing to take that risk riellys propped up 3rd pairing defensive dman in the past not saying hes a bottom pair defensemen just stressing that I only see upside in acquiring him

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Cheers
A little undersized but he’s pretty good defensively and offensively. Good at skating, has a good first pass and blocks shots. If we trade for him, I think he’d slot in nicely next to McCabe on the second unit. Then have Benoit - Liljegren as the third pair.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
personally id play peeke with rielly he comes off as a poor mans trouba which is great at his price and cap hit at worst he's ceci I'm willing to take that risk riellys propped up 3rd pairing defensive dman in the past not saying hes a bottom pair defensemen just stressing that I only see upside in acquiring him
Not good enough for this year, Toronto needs to find a bonafide top 4 d-man to play beside 44, no more plugging holes with lesser players and trying to get away with it. We have tried to for the past 5 seasons with Dubas.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

If we're going to burn assets, it has to be on young guys who still have their best post-season to give. Free this guy from San Jose.

Trenin has a 17 goal season under his belt too. I can see him crashing in a few much needed depth goals in the playoffs. Even 1 goal per series would be a significant bottom 6

Trenin has a 17 goal season under his belt too. I can see him crashing in a few much needed depth goals in the playoffs. Even 1 goal per series would be a significant bottom 6 add.
After likely paying a premium to outbid others for Ferraro, where are you going to play him?

Our current LHD:
Rielly
Brodie
McCabe
Benoit
Lagesson
Giordano

Our RHD:
Liljegren
Timmins

LHD is not where we need to spend scarce assets to improve upon, unless you are moving multiple LHD in other deals.

Makes no sense to me at all….

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
A little undersized but he’s pretty good defensively and offensively. Good at skating, has a good first pass and blocks shots. If we trade for him, I think he’d slot in nicely next to McCabe on the second unit. Then have Benoit - Liljegren as the third pair.
then who plays on the top pair since we can only afford 1 dman and riellys the priority

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not good enough for this year, Toronto needs to find a bonafide top 4 d-man to play beside 44, no more plugging holes with lesser players and trying to get away with it. We have tried to for the past 5 seasons with Dubas.
If I’m adding Peeke, I am slotting him 3RHD to play with Benoit and still going big game hunting for 1RHD to play with Rielly.

Peeke is definitely not a one and done acquisition.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
if your of the belief that benoit - mccabe is a top 4 pairing and brodie and lily were our top pairing then rielly and peeke will be another top 4 pairing balanced offensive and defensive pairing without selling the farm that we gravely need to restocc

If I’m adding Peeke, I am slotting him 3RHD to play with Benoit and still going big game hunting for 1RHD to play with Rielly.

Peeke is definitely not a one and done acquisition.
who goes for you to be able to pull that off? brodie who keefe trusts more than any dman we have?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
then who plays on the top pair since we can only afford 1 dman and riellys the priority
Not ideal but the guy who’s been playing with him this entire time when we’ve had a healthy blueline, Brodie.

I do agree though, finding someone to replace Brodie on the first pair should be priority.

Rielly - ________
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Carrier is solid though, I’d love to sign him through free agency and have the bottom pairings McCabe - Carrier and then Benoit - Liljegren.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So you're going back to Rielly-Brodie?

I think we noticed when Rielly was on vacation that Brodie handles the LD better.

IMO Brodie playing RD with a Norris winning Giordano has skewed the perception of how well he plays his off-side.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
we wont win anything with brodie playing his offside with rielly and I'm interested in how we make the money work to acquire all these assets rather than just finding riellys partner who needs to have a right handed sticc

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
if your of the belief that benoit - mccabe is a top 4 pairing and brodie and lily were our top pairing then rielly and peeke will be another top 4 pairing balanced offensive and defensive pairing without selling the farm that we gravely need to restocc

who goes for you to be able to pull that off? brodie who keefe trusts more than any dman we have?
I’ve never been a big Brodie booster and his $5 cap hit has made him an easy option to dump in a trade, particularly if you are adding a RHD to replace him.

His recent resurgence when returned to LHD creates options. His time at RHD needs to be over, permanently.

Strong play at LHD increases his trade value, either as part of a trade or to get assets back. If you are getting a true RHD, it’s an easy decision to make as the guy is a UFA and is no longer suited to play RHD. Simply put, he no longer fits in our plans.

Worst case scenario, you do exactly what you outlined above: get Peeke to play with Rielly, dropping them to 3rd pairing to feast on other teams, like Keefe has already done since Rielly’s return.

Play the other pairs higher, and when Brodie walks as a UFA, you make your big move for RHD, either by signing a UFA or trading for him.

Reactions: arso40

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
So you're going back to Rielly-Brodie?

I think we noticed when Rielly was on vacation that Brodie handles the LD better.

IMO Brodie playing RD with a Norris winning Giordano has skewed the perception of how well he plays his off-side.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer to add a top pairing dman such as Parayko. That would be my top priority.

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Just not sure the likelihood of a move of that kind of magnitude before the deadline. Hope Tre proves me wrong there though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad