Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm all aboard the Parayko train today. Taking a closer look at him he fits the mold of #2 defenseman well behind Morgan Rielly at a good price. His contract takes him to his mid/late 30's, so there is some risk. But, he has been very consistent so far as far as offensive production and his TOI goes. He is 6'6 230lbs and physical, he blocks a lot of shots, takes a lot of the hard matchups at even strength and on the PK and he has won a cup already. There are a lot of reasons this makes sense.

Hanifin and Chychrun are a few years younger, but they are LHD without a contract and would cost comparable value. Parayko is the better defensive minded option and is a natural righty.

If I was going for it. Which does make some sense the way were clipping with the big guys never looking this good before. He'd be my home run try.

Either to combine with Mo to play 27 minutes a night or spread to a 2nd pairing stopper role. He fits literally perfect.

Colton Parayko

for

Ryan Reaves + Conor Timmins + Topi Niemela + 2024 1st round pick (Top-3 Protected)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah I think we have a general agreement that a RD partner for Rielly who can also bolster the PK is as big a need as anything else.

I still worry about our goaltending faltering and undoing the good we have going elsewhere in the lineup though if I’m being honest.

I'm all aboard the Parayko train today. Taking a closer look at him he fits the mold of #2 defenseman well behind Morgan Rielly at a good price. His contract takes him to his mid/late 30's, so there is some risk. But, he has been very consistent so far as far as offensive production and his TOI goes. He is 6'6 230lbs and physical, he blocks a lot of shots, takes a lot of the hard matchups at even strength and on the PK and he has won a cup already. There are a lot of reasons this makes sense.

Hanifin and Chychrun are a few years younger, but they are LHD without a contract and would cost comparable value. Parayko is the better defensive minded option and is a natural righty.

If I was going for it. Which does make some sense the way were clipping with the big guys never looking this good before. He'd be my home run try.

Either to combine with Mo to play 27 minutes a night or spread to a 2nd pairing stopper role. He fits literally perfect.

Colton Parayko

for

Ryan Reaves + Conor Timmins + Topi Niemela + 2024 1st round pick (Top-3 Protected)

If the Blues were actually willing to move him we’d be stupid to not table a strong offer for him

Reactions: TMLAM34

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
With the entire team playing well in the last few games we can see upsides of certain players. It’s not as urgent to get depth forwards who can chip in as long as Domi, McMann, Robertson et al keep playing well. Still hoping Bertuzzi finds his touch, it’d be like getting a new free agent at trade deadline. I think the need is obvious. We need a top , experienced shutdown R handed D man to play with Rielly. Put the eggs in that basket. Depends on who it is will dictate price. But Robertson, 1st rounder, are probably in play. I’d hate to see Cowan or Minten go though.
I am keeping Robby over Cowan Minten f I have a choice. NR may be ready to break out and be a significant contributor right now. Cowan Minten is most likely 2 years away at best. I think Robertson has the higher value though and if they have aspirations to go beyond a 1 year Tanev or Walker fix then the mystery RD with term will cost.

oops edit

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I am keeping Robby over Cowan if I have a choice. NR may be ready to break out and be a significant contributor right now. Cowan is most likely 2 years away at best. I think Robertson has the higher value though and if they have aspirations to go beyond a 1 year Tanev or Walker fix then the mystery RD with term will cost.
Tanev or Walker fit the need for sure. Is there a way to get Tanev and Saros? If it meant the 1st, some other picks, Robertson, Sammy and a kid… I’d do it

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tanev or Walker fit the need for sure. Is there a way to get Tanev and Saros? If it meant the 1st, some other picks, Robertson, Sammy and a kid… I’d do it

If only eh. That’d be huge for us. Shoring up our two biggest question marks.

I think hypothetically we can fill the D hole in a cheaper and still effective way (hopefully younger and with some term). If we could only afford significant assets in one deal, which I’d say is the case, I’d prioritize Saros (Rielly has proven he can carry a pair with a good stay at home defender, doesn’t need great). Bonus that Saros would have another year after this at a reasonable 5M. Even with Woll that keeps us under 6M in net. Another benefit is Saros mentoring Woll as his backup next season instead of just thrusting Woll into a role he may not be ready for.

We’ve had let’s say tumultuous goaltending all year long, I don’t know how you can bet the entire playoffs on what we’ve seen. Everyone will continue to say the right things, but there’s no way the management and even the other players can be comfortable with it.

We deserve to see this group with a bonafide #1 backstopping them.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems and Kurtz

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We deserve to see this group with a bonafide #1 backstopping them.
I think the Leafs will go with what they have, but one possibility would be to one-stop shop at Calgary: Samsonov and 1st round pick for Markstrom and Tanev, with other pieces being included as necessary in order to make the salaries work?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I think the Leafs will go with what they have, but one possibility would be to one-stop shop at Calgary: Samsonov and 1st round pick for Markstrom and Tanev, with other pieces being included as necessary in order to make the salaries work?
That would be smart.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would rather move Jarnkrok over Robertson as part of a package for a defenceman. Jarnkrok should have decent value out there based on his contract and we haven't really missed him since he's been out of the lineup.

Reactions: Rude Dog and ashs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We need to be able to go to war with Florida and their rats.
Tkachuk
Bennett
Cousins
Gadjovic
Lomberg
We now have
Domi
Bertuzzi
Benoit
Mccabe

We need another dman who is physical and will drop the gloves if needed like schenn
We need another forward who is physical and will drop the gloves like maroon

Trade kampf
Jankrok

Knies Matthews marner
Bertuzzi domi nylander
Mcman Tavares robertson
Maroon holmberg reaves only against Florida insert gregor
Against skilled teams

Reilly schenn
Brodie lilly
McCabe benoit
Gio and the rest

I believe if we beat Florida we win the cup
Schenn and maroon won’t cost us a lot to acquire
I would include McMann to the list. He's a physical and feisty player.

Also Im sure many wouldn't be a fan, but Im willing to bet money that Ryan Reaves plays a game or 2. In a physical playoff series, players like that always end up playing. Gadjovic is their reaves.

But it also depends on game by game and how the series is going. Usually, enforcers dont play the game 5-7 since they could be potential elimination games.

But they almost always usually play a Reaves-type game 1-4 to send a physical message

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I agree in that I don’t think they are going to go big on a goalie, but Markstrom & Tanev would be huge. Very tricky cap wise and we’d definitely have to part with some significant assets to get them to bite, but would make a huge difference.

Schenn and Saros would be the Nashville counter to this. Not as good a D but more physical and Schenn was pretty great with Mo last year. Less cap, might cost a smidge less due to Tanev vs Schenn. Saros also has less term left than Markstrom which has both pros and cons

Nashville: Samsonov, 1st, +
Toronto: Schenn, Saros

That plus would still be a fair amount, but I’d definitely strongly consider it

I’m not sure a bigger impact could be made on this roster than 1 of these two deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah, I agree in that I don’t think they are going to go big on a goalie, but Markstrom & Tanev would be huge. Very tricky cap wise and we’d definitely have to part with some significant assets to get them to bite, but would make a huge difference.

Schenn and Saros would be the Nashville counter to this. Not as good a D but more physical and Schenn was pretty great with Mo last year. Less cap, might cost a smidge less due to Tanev vs Schenn. Saros also has less term left than Markstrom which has both pros and cons

Nashville: Samsonov, 1st, +
Toronto: Schenn, Saros

That plus would still be a fair amount, but I’d definitely strongly consider it

I’m not sure a bigger impact could be made on this roster than 1 of these two deals.
I would very much be in favour of either deal (i.e., Markstrom or Saros). It's hard to imagine a more impactful type of deal for this team. I get the loss of draft picks and prospects, but if you can turn Samsonov into one of Markstrom or Saros and fill the defensive hole, I think you instantly make this team not just a contender, but potentially a Cup favourite.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
We missed our chance. Would have been great to have him this year at 3 x 1.
I don't have anything to back this up, but I also kind of get the vibe Duchene probably wasn't jumping at the chance to play in a hockey market again. Seems like he does better away from the spotlight.

Scion

May 25, 2012
If the cost is less than a 1st I like David Savard alot as an option. Big, can kill penalties, plays the right side and is under control at a reasonable cap hit for another couple of years. He is also a year younger than Tanev who plays a similar style.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If the cost is less than a 1st I like David Savard alot as an option. Big, can kill penalties, plays the right side and is under control at a reasonable cap hit for another couple of years. He is also a year younger than Tanev who plays a similar style.
$3.5 for 1 more year. I wouldnt hate him but Montreal seems to want a 1st for him which is a big no from me

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I would very much be in favour of either deal (i.e., Markstrom or Saros). It's hard to imagine a more impactful type of deal for this team. I get the loss of draft picks and prospects, but if you can turn Samsonov into one of Markstrom or Saros and fill the defensive hole, I think you instantly make this team not just a contender, but potentially a Cup favourite.
The ask on Saros, alone, is gonna be eye watering, and if he’s available, I can’t see how we top a package from New Jersey or LA, without gutting us.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think the idea would be to use the pick and cap space to build a package for Saros+ or Markstrom+Tanev
I know, I just dont see a scenario where that happens. Unless we have a trade lined up that hinges on a Bertuzzi return asset, we will probably just ride him out for the year

Reactions: Buds17

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am keeping Robby over Cowan if I have a choice. NR may be ready to break out and be a significant contributor right now. Cowan is most likely 2 years away at best. I think Robertson has the higher value though and if they have aspirations to go beyond a 1 year Tanev or Walker fix then the mystery RD with term will cost.

Sorry, can't agree there.

Robertson looks like a nice complementary player, but I don't think he's ever going to be "the man" on a line. That's not a bad thing, just don't think it's enough to give up Cowan for.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The ask on Saros, alone, is gonna be eye watering, and if he’s available, I can’t see how we top a package from New Jersey or LA, without gutting us.
I don't disagree. That's the rub, I guess. You could be buying a Cup if you can get Markstrom or Saros, so what is that worth?

I’d be utterly shocked if we moved anyone for futures.
It's silly to even consider it. It won't happen.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Sorry, can't agree there.

Robertson looks like a nice complementary player, but I don't think he's ever going to be "the man" on a line. That's not a bad thing, just don't think it's enough to give up Cowan for.
Eep typo. I meant Minten. I do think Robertson may have another gear. His analytics beside Domi and Jarnkrok are solid this year. I see him as a very young 22 because he has lost so many games to injuries. So much missed development at a point where prospects are supposed to be charging forward to establish their roles but he is still showing more and more.

I don't see the same kind of upside with Minten, even if he hits close to his best outcome. Cowan is youngest and has the farthest to go but his jump from Draft to D +1 is almost as big as Robertson's (which was massive) and he has the better physical package. No untouchables for me on this club but Cowan would be the last one to move because what he appears to bring is different from their other top 6 guys and different with this team is a good thing.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium