Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Keefe loves Jarnkrok, he's an ideal winger for your 3rd line, good two way winger that plays on the PK.

Treliving likes his d-man a certain way, but I think they will try to add the best RHD they can to play with 44, no matter the size and how he likes to build his d-core.

Really don't want to use the 1st round pick on Tanev, but I think it's going to be him we trade for and resign.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
buch to oil rumors heating up.

Damn vanc edm vgk col is going to be a bloodbath

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jarnkrok + Kampf + 3rd
For
Trenin + Schenn

why are we downgrading 2 of our best defensive forwards, and a center to boot, and getting a defenseman struggling. It doesn't seem like this accomplishes anything.

Leafs should aim for Novak over Trenin as well if anything. A natural center with a 800k cap hit 29 points in 46 games. 43 points in 51 games last year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We need to be able to go to war with Florida and their rats.
Tkachuk
Bennett
Cousins
Gadjovic
Lomberg
We now have
Domi
Bertuzzi
Benoit
Mccabe

We need another dman who is physical and will drop the gloves if needed like schenn
We need another forward who is physical and will drop the gloves like maroon

Trade kampf
Jankrok

Knies Matthews marner
Bertuzzi domi nylander
Mcman Tavares robertson
Maroon holmberg reaves only against Florida insert gregor
Against skilled teams

Reilly schenn
Brodie lilly
McCabe benoit
Gio and the rest

I believe if we beat Florida we win the cup
Schenn and maroon won’t cost us a lot to acquire
The Leafs need to try something new, so why not?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Maybe. We will see. I'd try and get Sissons out of Nashville too while I was at it.

Sissons and Trenin would be great adds to the bottom 6;

I'm not sure we can, Jarnkrok is a PKer and Keefe trusts him to protect leads, he also plays up and down the lineup and he's had a very good season

I don't think we can replace him

Jarnkrok is a Swiss army knife and more importantly, Keefe trusts him. McMann, Holmberg and Robertson have all been great, but one will make way for Jarnkrok whether we agree with it or not.

Maybe he is a cap casualty in the off-season, but I don't see us removing roster players here.

I don't see any reason to get rid of Jarnkrok. He's a good value contract

Keefe loves Jarnkrok, he's an ideal winger for your 3rd line, good two way winger that plays on the PK.

Treliving likes his d-man a certain way, but I think they will try to add the best RHD they can to play with 44, no matter the size and how he likes to build his d-core.

Really don't want to use the 1st round pick on Tanev, but I think it's going to be him we trade for and resign.

I am a fan of Jarnkrok and his contract is very solid, but what about upgrading him to a guy like Sissons? I agree with the "beef up for Florida" strategy and while Jarnkrok is great at what he does, I think loading the bottom 6 with grittier guys will make us fare much better in the playoffs. Jarnkrok has a track record of not scoring much in the playoffs (22p in 86 gp) and if youre not scoring, or hitting in the playoffs, you arent doing much.

Giving his role to a player like Sissons, who scores at around the same rate, and who has a similar contract, but also plays with that edge would be a big upgrade IMO.

I dont know if Nashville has any reason to trade Sissons but if we were able to turn Jarnkrok+ into Sissons, and maybe grab Trenin along the way thats 2 bottom 6 forwards that fit the bill.

With the way we are now I just cant help but imagine a sad playoff exit with Florida pushing us around, that would just be so demoralizing especially after last year. Bert/Domi have been solid adds but I think we could go for some more grit around the lineup.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
What do you guys think of Duchene in the offseason to play 2C moving Tavares to wing or 3C?
On another one year deal, absolutely. But I think Duchene is aiming for term after getting squeezed last summer, which we can't commit to, he'll be 34 next season.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I would hope the Leafs have scouts looking at more than just a 34 year old UFA defender in Calgary.

Treliving has to show he has some connections in the league, seeing he's been in it for decades.
Limited RD on the market, Leafs have a history of trading 1sts for rentals (Shanahan), Treliving has shown he will do dumb shit, Leafs think they can re-sign Tanev (think Friedman has reported this)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Limited RD on the market, Leafs have a history of trading 1sts for rentals (Shanahan), Treliving has shown he will do dumb shit, Leafs think they can re-sign Tanev (think Friedman has reported this)
Have a feeling we'll do even worse. Something like a 3rd and a Marlies guy for Gudbranson retained.

I really don't see Tre moving the 1st rounder+ for a top 4 guy at this point.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Just looking at all the top teams cups odds and I'm not overly impressed with many teams.

Seems like it's pretty wide open for about 9-10 teams.

We're like one strong move away from being as good as any.

Probably why there seem to be more buyers than sellers at this point.

Reactions: weems

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
why are we downgrading 2 of our best defensive forwards, and a center to boot, and getting a defenseman struggling. It doesn't seem like this accomplishes anything.

Leafs should aim for Novak over Trenin as well if anything. A natural center with a 800k cap hit 29 points in 46 games. 43 points in 51 games last year.
The point totals were very impressive last year and remain decent this year but Novak has 15 hits in his NHL career. I'm not trying to say the Leafs only need players who lead the league in hits but 15 hits over 124 NHL games is staggeringly low for a front office that preaches "snot".

If he was free I'd take him but he will probably command a hefty price if he is moved and the Leafs should focus their assets on players that match the identity they are trying to portray.

Reactions: Kurtz

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The point totals were very impressive last year and remain decent this year but Novak has 15 hits in his NHL career. I'm not trying to say the Leafs only need players who lead the league in hits but 15 hits over 124 NHL games is staggeringly low for a front office that preaches "snot".

If he was free I'd take him but he will probably command a hefty price if he is moved and the Leafs should focus their assets on players that match the identity they are trying to portray.
assets should be spent on the baccend and this trade jarnkrok talk is crazy he completes the checcin line and a very good swiss army knife we'll need the depth for da long run

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I have no idea what kind of price they would want for Novak, mostly my priority would be different. In that scenario I quoted, we're removing 1 center that PKs a ton with and 1 20 goal scorer that PKs a ton and can play high in the lineup, for a player that can barely score 20 points a season but hey... he hits.

Novak isn't perfect and I don't disagree that he doesn't fill the "physical" part that is more appealing, but he has plenty of skill and would add a lot of scoring depth to a team that has had scoring depth issues in the playoffs for awhile.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Sissons and Trenin would be great adds to the bottom 6;

I am a fan of Jarnkrok and his contract is very solid, but what about upgrading him to a guy like Sissons? I agree with the "beef up for Florida" strategy and while Jarnkrok is great at what he does, I think loading the bottom 6 with grittier guys will make us fare much better in the playoffs. Jarnkrok has a track record of not scoring much in the playoffs (22p in 86 gp) and if youre not scoring, or hitting in the playoffs, you arent doing much.

Giving his role to a player like Sissons, who scores at around the same rate, and who has a similar contract, but also plays with that edge would be a big upgrade IMO.

I dont know if Nashville has any reason to trade Sissons but if we were able to turn Jarnkrok+ into Sissons, and maybe grab Trenin along the way thats 2 bottom 6 forwards that fit the bill.

With the way we are now I just cant help but imagine a sad playoff exit with Florida pushing us around, that would just be so demoralizing especially after last year. Bert/Domi have been solid adds but I think we could go for some more grit around the lineup.

I'd like to see the Leafs move like they did last year with McCabe/Lafferty. They dealt a 1st rounder that year and a 2nd rounder three-years out for players with term and reduction in cap hit.

2024 1st, 2027 2nd could get what in that equivalent from Nashville? Mind you, Nashville has already used a few retention spots..

Nashville I like as a trade partner because they have a lot of talent that would fill the holes we need.

Need a goalie? Saros.
Need a RHD? Fabbro/Carrier
Need gritty bottom six, defensive types? Sissons/Tenin.
Need more two-way option in the middle-six? Novak.

Think there's a package to be made that checks a few boxes.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Fabbro, Trenin and Sissons
For
Robertson, Timmins + 1st

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Sissons
Trenin Kampf Jarnkrok

Brodie Liljegren
Reilly Fabbro
Benoit McCabe

I'm actually really pleased with this lineup and the cost, Sissons and Fabbro are signed for a few years and Trenin can be signed.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Since Jan 1st (22 games):
5th in PTS% (.705)
T-1st in RW (12)
T-1st in ROW (15)
1st in GF/GP (3.91)
7th in GA/GP (2.64)
2nd in PP% (32.8)
23rd in PK% (77.4)
3rd in Shots/GP (34.1)
2nd in Shots Against/GP (26.4)
2nd in FOW% (54.6)

Tell me again this team isn’t earning additions.

Not that this is news to most of us paying attention but it does highlight where our need is fairly well. The biggest need is PK. Getting Jarnkrok back will help, but we need another PK defenseman.

Also I think the GA, while good, could certainly be better if we solidly the goaltending. I’d love to assume Woll can come back and be the guy, but I think given his lack of experience and the length of time he’s been out we need to keep our expectations in check there.

Reactions: Burnie97

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just looking at all the top teams cups odds and I'm not overly impressed with many teams.

Seems like it's pretty wide open for about 9-10 teams.

We're like one strong move away from being as good as any.
^ Why would people think for a second this club isn't going to make a strong move for the playoffs? Shanny won't/can't go into the last year of his contract with another failed playoff. I doubt the Prez was watching the Leafs crush the Cup champs with their backup goalie and thinking "yeah, some better crack filler signed next summer is going to let us compete with these guys".

The hole in the lineup on D is pretty obvious and as others have pointed out, Tre has no connection or presumed loyalty to the the non-star Dubas players. They will make a change and you don't add actual value by trading table scraps. If its not the 1st + it will be a player who people think is part of the clubs future. You don't get if you don't give. Keefe is off of life support now, and any player he doesn't love is on the block.

What we want as fans doesn't matter, but stand pat or a depth move and wait for next year to take a serious run isn't realistic. They can't take their foot of the pedal the year that Willie and AM might be giving their career seasons. Clubs don't do that.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Since Jan 1st (22 games):
5th in PTS% (.705)
T-1st in RW (12)
T-1st in ROW (15)
1st in GF/GP (3.91)
7th in GA/GP (2.64)
2nd in PP% (32.8)
23rd in PK% (77.4)
3rd in Shots/GP (34.1)
2nd in Shots Against/GP (26.4)
2nd in FOW% (54.6)

Tell me again this team isn’t earning additions.

Not that this is news to most of us paying attention but it does highlight where our need is fairly well. The biggest need is PK. Getting Jarnkrok back will help, but we need another PK defenseman.

Also I think the GA, while good, could certainly be better if we solidly the goaltending. I’d love to assume Woll can come back and be the guy, but I think given his lack of experience and the length of time he’s been out we need to keep our expectations in check there.
i think the forward group with jarnkrok is just fine and the goaltending with woll bacc is good we need riellys partner to be a right shot that can pk cause brodie on the right side for pk is stupid you can see he cant play there anymore and he never gets the pucc out usually getting handcuffed and we get hemmed in

Reactions: Sypher04

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I'd like to see the Leafs move like they did last year with McCabe/Lafferty. They dealt a 1st rounder that year and a 2nd rounder three-years out for players with term and reduction in cap hit.

2024 1st, 2027 2nd could get what in that equivalent from Nashville? Mind you, Nashville has already used a few retention spots..

Nashville I like as a trade partner because they have a lot of talent that would fill the holes we need.

Need a goalie? Saros.
Need a RHD? Fabbro/Carrier
Need gritty bottom six, defensive types? Sissons/Tenin.
Need more two-way option in the middle-six? Novak.

Think there's a package to be made that checks a few boxes.

I like this idea because I cant think of 1 single player on the market I would trade our 1st for, but if it was a package from Nashville with a couple of those guys I absolutely would. Preferably with Sissons included.

Fabbro, Trenin and Sissons
For
Robertson, Timmins + 1st

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Sissons
Trenin Kampf Jarnkrok

Brodie Liljegren
Reilly Fabbro
Benoit McCabe

I'm actually really pleased with this lineup and the cost, Sissons and Fabbro are signed for a few years and Trenin can be signed.
Would hate to give up on Robertson so soon but this does make us look a lot better.

I think Carrier is a bit better than Fabbro but I get he is a UFA vs RFA so Fabbro makes sense long term.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
On another one year deal, absolutely. But I think Duchene is aiming for term after getting squeezed last summer, which we can't commit to, he'll be 34 next season.
We missed our chance. Would have been great to have him this year at 3 x 1.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With the entire team playing well in the last few games we can see upsides of certain players. It’s not as urgent to get depth forwards who can chip in as long as Domi, McMann, Robertson et al keep playing well. Still hoping Bertuzzi finds his touch, it’d be like getting a new free agent at trade deadline. I think the need is obvious. We need a top , experienced shutdown R handed D man to play with Rielly. Put the eggs in that basket. Depends on who it is will dictate price. But Robertson, 1st rounder, are probably in play. I’d hate to see Cowan or Minten go though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i think the forward group with jarnkrok is just fine and the goaltending with woll bacc is good we need riellys partner to be a right shot that can pk cause brodie on the right side for pk is stupid you can see he cant play there anymore and he never gets the pucc out usually getting handcuffed and we get hemmed in

RD for Rielly would be enough for me.

Still not sold on Bertuzzi, but perhaps he can just be the grit on the Nylander line?

I'm more interested in how they're going to bring forward the prospects.

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium