Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think you don't want to make too much change, for that reason.
But, I feel like swapping out Lagesson for say Adam Larsson for example would be unlikely to be too much. I think you could change the goalie too with minimal disruption. Not sure at this point I'd want to spend much, if anything, on any role other than Top 4 D and G upgrade.

3.5M is DIRT cheap though. Like right now, it's on the low end of second pairing money at most. When the cap is approaching $100M in 3-4 years, that 3.5M cap hit is a non-issue.
I think it's fair to question how the player holds up over time, but the contract is potentially a positive imo.

Is there any reason why Seattle wants to trade Larsson though? Like him or someone with term would help and make sense but not many of them are attainable for a simple 1st round pick. Quality means you're probably dipping into a very bare prospect pool after years of "going for it". It was worth it to go for it, but maybe now it's the time to push the breaks on breaking the piggy bank and letting things fall into place.

Larsson isn't signed long-term or young anymore either. He's 32 in November and in need of an extension in 2025.

Reactions: Kiwi

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Is there any reason why Seattle wants to trade Larsson though? Like him or someone with term would help and make sense but not many of them are attainable for a simple 1st round pick. Quality means you're probably dipping into a very bare prospect pool after years of "going for it". It was worth it to go for it, but maybe now it's the time to push the breaks on breaking the piggy bank and letting things fall into place.

Larsson isn't signed long-term or young anymore either. He's 32 in November and in need of an extension in 2025.

He was simply an example of a player who plays a style we could very much use and a player we could swap out that I don't think would upset the chemistry particularly.

As for whether we should be going for it. The answer is yes as far as I'm concerned for a multitude of reasons including but limited to, prime age of core players, multiple of whom are having career years, the sizeable increase in cost to 34/88 next season, the relatively open Eastern Conference etc.

That doesn't mean however that I think we should be stupid about it. Not super interested in rentals, unless we get an opportunity to extend them, don't want to pay a kings ransom at all, but definitely not for anything less than impact players.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Isles fans are ready for a firesale and are saying Scott Mayfield can be head for cheap. Should we be interested?

Reilly - Mayfield
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I'd be up for Mayfield wanted him in the summer as a UFA but NYI signed him :(

But ain't gonna happen. Mayfield has a full NTC :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was simply an example of a player who plays a style we could very much use and a player we could swap out that I don't think would upset the chemistry particularly.

As for whether we should be going for it. The answer is yes as far as I'm concerned for a multitude of reasons including but limited to, prime age of core players, multiple of whom are having career years, the sizeable increase in cost to 34/88 next season, the relatively open Eastern Conference etc.

That doesn't mean however that I think we should be stupid about it. Not super interested in rentals, unless we get an opportunity to extend them, don't want to pay a kings ransom at all, but definitely not for anything less than impact players.

That's where the problem comes. I'm all for going for it but then you look at the options that aren't rentals and it becomes really hard to find a fit that makes it ok going for it because the of the quality of the player added.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's where the problem comes. I'm all for going for it but then you look at the options that aren't rentals and it becomes really hard to find a fit that makes it ok going for it because the of the quality of the player added.

It's hard to predict from our vantage point. There's always a bunch of guys, every year, that get moved at the deadline, that we had no idea were even available, or why.

Reactions: Duffman955

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Ask those same Islanders fans what they think of Mayfield. He has been horrendous this season if you ask him, and his contract is so laughably bad that no team on the planet will touch it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's hard to predict from our vantage point. There's always a bunch of guys, every year, that get moved at the deadline, that we had no idea were even available, or why.

It's not impossible. Chychrun, Ekholm, McCabe, Sandin and Zaitsev were the non rentals NHL defensemen traded around last years deadline. 3 of them required a 1st and multiple 2nd rounders/prospects. All of them were on the block or known to be available.

Vegas made 3 moves around the deadline last year before winning the cup -- traded prospect Zach Dean (former 1st rounder around Minten quality) for Barbashev, a 3rd and AHLer for Blueger and Quick for almost nothing. They were able to retain Barbashev. Panthers did nothing, but they were barely holding on to the playoffs at that point.

Every year is different so I don't know, but generally speaking it's not exactly something that is easy or feasible. We lack 2nd round picks and only have a 1st rounder and a couple fairly valuable prospects. If you're going for it, it better be a very smart addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think it'll be Lyubushkin too.

They also add one or two more physical bottom-6 defensive forwards.

I'm thinking Trenin from Nashvile or maybe Carrick gets added to the deal with Boosh.
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - McMann
Trenin - Kampf - Jarnkrok
ex. Gregor - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
ex. Giordano - Lagesson

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones

A mid round pick and a prospect for each. That would give the roster a significant defensive and physical boost. It would help to create a defensive checking line to go with the Tavares offensive line. Lube would fit back into the hole next to Rielly leaving two really solid defensive minded pairings behind them. Holmberg can jump onto line #3 or #4 if they need a shake.

I think Lube + Carrick is an option as is a Carrier or Schenn + Trenin package or a Dumba + Zucker combo if they are interested in more 2 in 1 pop deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaric1862

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I guess the question I have for you is this.

Let's say they went on a run and won the cup and they do it in 22 games.

Do you believe Bobby Mcmann can get you say 6 goals and 10 points? Now you are going to say he's on a better pace than that now and he is but It's the regular season scoring gets tougher in the playoffs so I'm thinking 10 points in 22 games.

You think he can do that? If you believe he can then you might be set up front.

If you aren't sure then you might want to add a depth scorer
I don't know. I don't think every depth forward needs to get ten points in 22 games, but sure...maybe he could.

What forwards are we trading for that guarantee that production? What are we giving up for them exactly?

Also, I think we have a better chance of playing 22 playoff games if we upgrade our top four on D and to me it is about prioritizing where we spend our assets at the TDL.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn't be mad on a guy like Carrier

I wonder if they'd want a do-over on Schenn? Would they take Reaves or Kampf in a deal to off-set salary?

If they wanted to they could eat 50% and say give us a 4th or a 5th for him

He hasn't really worked out there so they may just be glad to get rid of him at this point

I think the Reeves for Peeke is one that makes sense, Columbus is young and could use a guy like Reeves and that makes Peeke a 2M defenseman so even if he is bottom pair it isn't a killer cap wise

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If they wanted to they could eat 50% and say give us a 4th or a 5th for him

He hasn't really worked out there so they may just be glad to get rid of him at this point

I think the Reeves for Peeke is one that makes sense, Columbus is young and could use a guy like Reeves and that makes Peeke a 2M defenseman so even if he is bottom pair it isn't a killer cap wise

I'd do Kampf + 7th for Schenn and use Holmberg at 4C

I don't know if Reaves would appeal to CBJ as they already have Mathiu Olivier- now I am totally willing to take him in the deal too and then waive him as he's fully buriable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd do Kampf + 7th for Schenn and use Holmberg at 4C

I don't know if Reaves would appeal to CBJ as they already have Mathiu Olivier- now I am totally willing to take him in the deal too and then waive him as he's fully buriable.
So would I, I see Kampf's 2.4M cap hit and start thinking of other players I'd rather spend it on

I think Columbus would give Peeke to us so the plan would be Reaves to anybody for anything

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Larsson absolutely but why do we want Gourde at over $5 million this year and next?
Gourde is awesome and worth the price

Can you believe just this season we've waived at different points Benoit, Samsonov, McMann, and Jones?

Uhh yeah, phew!
If dubas was here they would all be claimed

I could see him doing well with Rielly to be honest

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I liked dubas for the most part. But have the dubas people just completely vanished because we won 6 games?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Lyubushkin plays 17' per night.
Schenn is playing 15 minutes a game.

If we are looking for a partner for Rielly, I'd be looking for someone who can edge north of 20' per night in all situations.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
We need to be able to go to war with Florida and their rats.
Tkachuk
Bennett
Cousins
Gadjovic
Lomberg
We now have
Domi
Bertuzzi
Benoit
Mccabe

We need another dman who is physical and will drop the gloves if needed like schenn
We need another forward who is physical and will drop the gloves like maroon

Trade kampf
Jankrok

Knies Matthews marner
Bertuzzi domi nylander
Mcman Tavares robertson
Maroon holmberg reaves only against Florida insert gregor
Against skilled teams

Reilly schenn
Brodie lilly
McCabe benoit
Gio and the rest