Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Knies, Robertson and Liljegren are already providing cheap production
Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin are the next wave of cheap players were going to need to fill out our roster

We pay our big guys big money, we have to keep those guys or we won't be able to fill out competitive rosters as soon as next season

We can't pay everybody going market rate in every position, we need ECL and RFA contracts to make the cap work
When you overpay the stars yhe supporting cast has to accept less or move on……

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll throw a name out there although because it's Pittsburgh, it might be more difficult.

LeBrun said everyone on Pittsburgh is available except their core guys.

To me, I don't see Brodie here beyond this season and I think Marcus Pettersson would be a REAL smart addition to this roster.

Reactions: aingefan and Kiwi

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Big Weegar fan, as he is a personal friend of mine. His back story makes him even better to cheer for, because he's been an underdog his entire hockey career.

Mac got passed up on in the OHL Draft and stayed in Ottawa for an extra year to play for the Junior A, Nepean Raiders. His first cousin is former Montreal Canadian and Buffalo Sabre's Captain, Craig Rivet. Craig's agent is close friends with Dominic Ducharme, who was the head coach for the Halifax Mooseheads at the time. Craig's agent / friend told Ducharme that he had a kid in Ottawa that he wanted to get a tryout for and Ducharme did his friend a favour. Mac went on to make the team after a tryout and played an important role in Halifax' Memorial Cup win that year, playing alongside Nathan Mackinnon, Johnathan Drouin, Martin Frk, etc. He didn't QB the PP that year, however, because Halifax had big a big German Defenseman and Sharks 6th round pick, Konrad Abeltshauser. Regardles, Mac played big minutes and put up quality points, and was expected to be drafted in the 4th-5th round range.

After being passed up time and again, Weegar was set to go undrafted, until Rivet's agent did him another favour. The agent was good friends with Dave Tallon, the then GM for the Florida Panthers. He called Tallon and asked him to take flyer on the kid because he was being undervalued. Tallon didn't have a pick left in the Draft, but called Montreal to see if they had somebody they wanted to take in the 7th round. Montreal didn't have anyone they loved, so they agreed to swap the pick to Florida for a 7th rounder the following year. With the 6th last pick of the draft (#206 overall), Florida selected Mac Weegar and the rest is history.

Weegar returned to Halifax the following year and played a lead role as the team's #1D, alongside Drouin, and Timo Meier. He had a really big year in Halifax that year and went on to work his way up through Florida's organization.

Would be thrilled to cheer for Mac as a Leaf!
Gosh darn't, your post really got me thinking back to the days. I grew up in a place and time where a few of the boys made the show. Some better than others, I played with a few of them but I never was...and how I Ioved listening to their stories about what had happened and why and how...and it's kinda why I'm here.

Your part about Rivet and his call to Tallon, I get it. So much about the hockey community is based on the quality of the person. That's why I love it. Integrity. From afar, Weeger reeks of integrity.

The best part is hearing some of this shit today. The filters are off. What those boys had to do, the physical risks they took, frightening and awe inspiring. I don't know if the players today face the same pressures that the fellas back in the 60s/70s/80s faced, but I sure hope they don't. Brutal times for the players, and worse before those years. Not just culturally, but medically as well. My all time fav, #4, Bobby Orr - and don't your dare - had he today's techniques we'd be talking about Nick Lidstrom like he was a, ok, not Nick. These guys were tough as nails, they had to be.

And @IrishInOntario, that's why I say thank you. You brought me back from being a simple idiot worried about the score as being the reason why I love the game, instead of remembering why I love it, the people. Cheers, sir.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'll throw a name out there although because it's Pittsburgh, it might be more difficult.

To me, I don't see Brodie here beyond this season and I think Marcus Pettersson would be a REAL smart addition to this roster.
Really good defensive player and his contract is chefs kiss good, he'd be a great add

Reactions: WTFMAN99

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’d guess his cost would be more than our first. Minten/Niemela add, plus Klingberg (cap) and that cost.

They aren’t rebuilding, they are building. I’m not sure Larsson fits their time frame.
I doubt Larsson is moved this TDL barring some overpayment, Seattle are 3 points out of a WC spot. They can fetch a similar return this time next season if they’re out of the playoff picture.

He would be a nice add, but earliest it’s probably an offseason move.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’d guess his cost would be more than our first. Minten/Niemela add, plus Klingberg (cap) and that cost.

They aren’t rebuilding, they are building. I’m not sure Larsson fits their time frame.
Klingberg doesn't need to be moved for Cap reasons.

Larsson is another guy who I think would be a smart acquisition, but I don't know if Seattle is selling.

Larsson/Pullock/Gudas/Weegar would be my top four.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Really good defensive player and his contract is chefs kiss good, he'd be a great add
Love the player, not sure Pitt has any desire to move him though. They have alot of bad contracts to move before even considering Pettersson, that said that team is really bad and they need a rebuild in the worst way so blowing it up would be there best move

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Klingberg doesn't need to be moved for Cap reasons.

Larsson is another guy who I think would be a smart acquisition, but I don't know if Seattle is selling.

Larsson/Pullock/Gudas/Weegar would be my top four.
Pretty sure that aside from Gudas (who I have a hunch has us in his NTC), we can make work, while Weegar requires some cap wizardry and gymnastics.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
What do we think of a guy like Jeremy Lauzon? Can't help but feel like he would fit great with Benoit on the bottom pairing and would be useful for years to come, especially with teams like Florida in the way.

Going Forward:

Rielly
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - - - Lauzon

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
How fun would a forward lineup next year be of;

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Mcmann- Tavares - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Minten - Cowan

Opens up some serious cap for defenders. Tavares used in a more defensive role.

Reactions: Shak19 and arso40

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Cowan would be a much better fit with Domi and Willy, and really don't like the idea of Minten playing 8-10 minutes a night @ 4C

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Should have posted that the 4th line would be getting more minutes that a typical 4th would.
Not likely, Matthews gets 20-21, Domi 15-18, Tavares 14-16, leaving Minten with 8-10 minutes, unless he's PKing or PP which would be unlikely

Let Minten grow one Year in the AHL see if he can play against Men and then bring him up the following year as 3C to play in Tavares spot.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Larsson
Tanev 50% retained

To Seattle-
Reaves
Robertson
Timmons
Niemela
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Tanev-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe
Giordano

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

I think Pettersson would be in very high demand. I imagine he would cost a small fortune.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

That would be entertaining hockey… and losing hockey. Somebody has to play defense and somebody has to work the corners.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Pettersson would be in very high demand. I imagine he would cost a small fortune.

I have no idea how to value things anymore, sometimes you see top 4 D traded and you say "That's it?" and then other times it's "Damn that was a lot"

Trouba got a 1st and middle of the roster type guy.

Pens have no 1st, 3rd or 5th

I figured Pettersson and a 2nd for 1st, 5th, Robertson, Holmberg and Timmins might be a starting off point.

Would we need to add from there? Possibly. It gets them some picks, they maybe flip them and then their roster gets a bit younger.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Underrated pickup: Jan Rutta
Great defensive RHD with term who the Sharks would probably retain. 2X Cup winner and has been playing well defensively in some pretty hard minutes this year.
Couldn't see it costing more than a 3rd.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Sounds like we are out on hanifin according to friedman as he wont resign in canada.

Get Tanev and go after Chychrun if possible

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think it'll be Lyubushkin at 50% for a 5th/6th and a low prospect like Ellis or Kressler or something.

He's not that great but he's a hard hitter and a right handed shot that can play ok on the bottom pairing and add physical depth. I'd rather have him than Lajoie as depth and injuries can pile up fast. It all depends on how Timmins does in his recovery too but I would not be surprised if he's out until the playoffs.

That's my best guess as to who the RHD will be acquired for what they are willing to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad