Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
My dream scenario is trading our 1st + for Weegar (preferably before the trade deadline but will accept the off season) and signing Matt Roy in the off season.

Rielly $7.5 - Roy $4.5
McCabe $2- Weegar $6.25

I think is a great top 4 with lots of bite at an affordable rate. You can round it off with pieces like Liljegren/Benoit or maybe Brodie comes back dirt cheap for a year or 2 as he gets close to retirement. I wouldn't be opposed to a #6 refrigerator like Hakanpaa or Middleton either if the price was right.

Tanev is to old to be paying assets for. He'll go the way of Muzzin and Gio where he will be out of the league 2 years after acquiring him. Acquire guys with some longevity.

I also like Weegar because he can really skate and absolutely wail the puck. He'd give the PP a different look in different situations.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While I agree Parayko might not be that stud defenseman he was a couple of years ago, he's still a legit top 4 defenseman who has a history of playing with Rielly in the World Cup and they had great chemistry. He's also never had a d-partner as good as Rielly as well.

The D man you are talking about is Chris Tanev

We don't have the assets to buy a top 9 scoring forward and at least one top 4 defenseman

To put it simply you can't buy a new Ferrari making Toyota Camry wages

Our assets need to go towards our most important need, top 4 defenseman and if that doesn't wipe us out (it probably will) then we can talk about adding to other areas

We absolutely do if we wanted to.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No because then we have literally nothing left, no picks no prospects, nothing

We also have a larger window than this year, Matthew's is signed for 4 more years after this one

That's fine, we are in win now mode It's not about picks and prospects right now.

That's not to say I'm against keeping our 1st, I'm not, I never have been, I've always said if you can add without moving our 1st by all means do it I've said that for years, I don't mind adding a good prospect It's another tradeable asset.

But at the same time I don't care if they empty the cupboards which I know you'll say they did last year no they didn't, they kept Knies, Robertson, they drafted in the 1st round they did NOT Empty the cupboard.

I'm talking about REALLY empty the cupboard, I don't care if they do that because It's not about 2030 It's about today that's where the team is.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's fine, we are in win now mode It's not about picks and prospects right now.

That's not to say I'm against keeping our 1st, I'm not, I never have been, I've always said if you can add without moving our 1st by all means do it I've said that for years, I don't mind adding a good prospect It's another tradeable asset.

But at the same time I don't care if they empty the cupboards which I know you'll say they did last year no they didn't, they kept Knies, Robertson, they drafted in the 1st round they did NOT Empty the cupboard.

I'm talking about REALLY empty the cupboard, I don't care if they do that because It's not about 2030 It's about today that's where the team is.

Knies, Robertson and Liljegren are already providing cheap production
Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin are the next wave of cheap players were going to need to fill out our roster

We pay our big guys big money, we have to keep those guys or we won't be able to fill out competitive rosters as soon as next season

We can't pay everybody going market rate in every position, we need ECL and RFA contracts to make the cap work

Reactions: Rude Dog and arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Said it before that it felt like Dubas was being targeted by other other GM’s taking everything he put on the waiver wire, and wondering how much he was actually liked by the other GM’s.

It got ridiculous and felt personal. I wouldn’t be surprised that Dubas rubs the other GM’s the wrong way. Glad Treliving is able to get waivers through for us.
My dream scenario is trading our 1st + for Weegar (preferably before the trade deadline but will accept the off season) and signing Matt Roy in the off season.

Rielly $7.5 - Roy $4.5
McCabe $2- Weegar $6.25

I think is a great top 4 with lots of bite at an affordable rate. You can round it off with pieces like Liljegren/Benoit or maybe Brodie comes back dirt cheap for a year or 2 as he gets close to retirement. I wouldn't be opposed to a #6 refrigerator like Hakanpaa or Middleton either if the price was right.

Tanev is to old to be paying assets for. He'll go the way of Muzzin and Gio where he will be out of the league 2 years after acquiring him. Acquire guys with some longevity.

I also like Weegar because he can really skate and absolutely wail the puck. He'd give the PP a different look in different situations.
Rielly-Weegar
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren

I salute you sir.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Without trying to overemphasize this comment, how much of this recent hot streak is chemistry related? I’m having a hard time remembering a Leaf’s squad that has played this type of team game in a long time. Heck, even Willy got a little chippy, and when has this happened before. Should this continue, see Colorado, are we witnessing the birth of what we’ve desired for years? Edmonton was looking like crap earlier in the year, but now have to be considered legit. Did it just take us longer because of all the additions over the summer, and the question marks associated with that turnover? I dunno, but should we continue to play well, I might consider a simple impact player type deal and let the chips fall where they may. The player I’ll ask about here is, Adam Larsson. Is he the player who could compliment Rielly? 31, one more year at 4m/, a +9 on a team with 50 less goals than our Leafs and Seattle has a negative goal differential as a team, physical, 23 minutes a night, with 3+ min pk/. I know Calgary is looking for a first, minimum, for Tanev, and has a history with Rielly (small sample), but does Larsson offer more? Is he a fit, and could we afford him?
Rielly Larsson
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
Solid?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Without trying to overemphasize this comment, how much of this recent hot streak is chemistry related? I’m having a hard time remembering a Leaf’s squad that has played this type of team game in a long time. Heck, even Willy got a little chippy, and when has this happened before. Should this continue, see Colorado, are we witnessing the birth of what we’ve desired for years? Edmonton was looking like crap earlier in the year, but now have to be considered legit. Did it just take us longer because of all the additions over the summer, and the question marks associated with that turnover? I dunno, but should we continue to play well, I might consider a simple impact player type deal and let the chips fall where they may. The player I’ll ask about here is, Adam Larsson. Is he the player who could compliment Rielly? 31, one more year at 4m/, a +9 on a team with 50 less goals than our Leafs and Seattle has a negative goal differential as a team, physical, 23 minutes a night, with 3+ min pk/. I know Calgary is looking for a first, minimum, for Tanev, and has a history with Rielly (small sample), but does Larsson offer more? Is he a fit, and could we afford him?
Rielly Larsson
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
Solid?

He's ideal and I'd trade our 1st for him so fast your head would spin but we don't even know if Seattle is selling, but even if they do would they sell a guy with term left on his deal

I don't think they are a team looking to rebuild and desperate to aquire futures

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That's fine if you believe that Bobby Mcmann is real and can continue to keep this up.

If you don't, if you think It's just a hot run you need ro add a top 9 forward because once Mcmann dries up so does a lot of the secondary scoring.

Bobby Mcmann has been great but chances are Bobby Mcmann isn't this dude.
Well, three points.

1) Bobby McMann could be a player that actually provides some secondary scoring and chips in with a goal or two in a seven game playoff series.

2) Every team could use an extra F as they gear up for the playoffs. However, our bigger need might be a Dman. It's about where to use our assets in a trade. Right now we have Lagesson on the top pairing, seems like upgrading there and pushing Lagesson to #7/8 is the better bang for our buck.

3) we do have Jarnkrok and Gregor to find homes for, so anyone we trade for needs to be better than two of those and McMann.

Reactions: arso40

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don't want Chris Tanev, but it seems like the Treliving thing to do.

I would rather try to get another Schenn-like dman, roll the dice with the existing group, and then try to fix big structural problems in the off-season. I don't think 1 top 4 dman is going to put this group over the hump; it's going to be a Vegas style playoff effort that does (like how we've played in the last couple of weeks).

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He's ideal and I'd trade our 1st for him so fast your head would spin but we don't even know if Seattle is selling, but even if they do would they sell a guy with term left on his deal

I don't think they are a team looking to rebuild and desperate to aquire futures
I’d guess his cost would be more than our first. Minten/Niemela add, plus Klingberg (cap) and that cost.

They aren’t rebuilding, they are building. I’m not sure Larsson fits their time frame.

Reactions: Kiwi

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

Rielly $7.5 - Roy $4.5
McCabe $2- Weegar $6.25

Big Weegar fan, as he is a personal friend of mine. His back story makes him even better to cheer for, because he's been an underdog his entire hockey career.

Mac got passed up on in the OHL Draft and stayed in Ottawa for an extra year to play for the Junior A, Nepean Raiders. His first cousin is former Montreal Canadian and Buffalo Sabre's Captain, Craig Rivet. Craig's agent is close friends with Dominic Ducharme, who was the head coach for the Halifax Mooseheads at the time. Craig's agent / friend told Ducharme that he had a kid in Ottawa that he wanted to get a tryout for and Ducharme did his friend a favour. Mac went on to make the team after a tryout and played an important role in Halifax' Memorial Cup win that year, playing alongside Nathan Mackinnon, Johnathan Drouin, Martin Frk, etc. He didn't QB the PP that year, however, because Halifax had big a big German Defenseman and Sharks 6th round pick, Konrad Abeltshauser. Regardles, Mac played big minutes and put up quality points, and was expected to be drafted in the 4th-5th round range.

After being passed up time and again, Weegar was set to go undrafted, until Rivet's agent did him another favour. The agent was good friends with Dave Tallon, the then GM for the Florida Panthers. He called Tallon and asked him to take flyer on the kid because he was being undervalued. Tallon didn't have a pick left in the Draft, but called Montreal to see if they had somebody they wanted to take in the 7th round. Montreal didn't have anyone they loved, so they agreed to swap the pick to Florida for a 7th rounder the following year. With the 6th last pick of the draft (#206 overall), Florida selected Mac Weegar and the rest is history.

Weegar returned to Halifax the following year and played a lead role as the team's #1D, alongside Drouin, and Timo Meier. He had a really big year in Halifax that year and went on to work his way up through Florida's organization.

Would be thrilled to cheer for Mac as a Leaf!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Rielly $7.5 - Roy $4.5
McCabe $2- Weegar $6.25

I think Roy is minimum is 5.5M, maybe upwards of 6M

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If I’m GM I’m trying to grab Tanev/Markstrom. Tanev just balances out the RD vs LD nicely.

I think we need a goalie to steal us the odd 2-1, 3-2 kinda deal.

I have no confidence in Sammy (despite being happy to see him battle) and while I like Woll - he has also not proven he can do it.

Probably cost:
1rst
3rd
Cowan
Niemala
Timmins
Sammy

• Haha
Reactions: WTFMAN99

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Said it before that it felt like Dubas was being targeted by other other GM’s taking everything he put on the waiver wire, and wondering how much he was actually liked by the other GM’s.

It got ridiculous and felt personal. I wouldn’t be surprised that Dubas rubs the other GM’s the wrong way. Glad Treliving is able to get waivers through for us.

Rielly-Weegar
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren

I salute you sir.
I think it is safe to say Kyle wasn't liked by other GMs. That's part, a small part, of why we should have gotten rid of him earlier. He was limited to trading with 3 or 4 teams.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think it is safe to say Kyle wasn't liked by other GMs. That's part, a small part, of why we should have gotten rid of him earlier. He was limited to trading with 3 or 4 teams.
this does seem to be the case. Also not well liked by the players given his propensity of being taken to the shed in renewal negotiations. :DD

Reactions: All Mod Cons

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Like others have said, only get Tanev if it's for cheap else forget it. This will probably be Matthews greatest statistical year ever as a Leaf so not doing anything at the TD is not an option.

TRE needs to get creative

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if the NYI would consider moving Pulock and Varlamov. They are falling quickly out of the playoff picture, and that roster really isn't ever going to get them anywhere. He'd be an ideal guy to partner with Mo, and is signed until the end of 29-30. Lou probably never considers a retool, or rebuild, but it's what they need, and their fans at least are talking about it.

Pulock is a guy I'd move the 1st for, and given the length of the contract, is a solid long-term move for us. I really don't know how to make the cap work on this one for this year.

What would be an interesting trade, would be Pulock + Varlamov, moving Samsonov out...

We'd have to move Timmins, Samsonov, Reaves and Gregor out... just to get get close to the cap... -430k, once Jarnkrok is back. Or Jarnkrok stays on LTIR until the playoffs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaffan1991

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I really do not want to empty the cupboard for a star goalie. With the Leafs cap situation next year their best chance of navigating it is getting a starter level performance out of Woll for the league minimum. They might even be able to run Woll/Hildeby for the cheapest goaltending in the league. If you acquire a much more pricey goalie I don't see any way to get a decent defender, which is really the bigger long term concern.

Woll very well may be a great goalie in this league and the long term solution. I don't think we have anyone in the system with a chance to be a great defenseman.

Reactions: CatchyTune

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Big Weegar fan, as he is a personal friend of mine. His back story makes him even better to cheer for, because he's been an underdog his entire hockey career.

Mac got passed up on in the OHL Draft and stayed in Ottawa for an extra year to play for the Junior A, Nepean Raiders. His first cousin is former Montreal Canadian and Buffalo Sabre's Captain, Craig Rivet. Craig's agent is close friends with Dominic Ducharme, who was the head coach for the Halifax Mooseheads at the time. Craig's agent / friend told Ducharme that he had a kid in Ottawa that he wanted to get a tryout for and Ducharme did his friend a favour. Mac went on to make the team after a tryout and played an important role in Halifax' Memorial Cup win that year, playing alongside Nathan Mackinnon, Johnathan Drouin, Martin Frk, etc. He didn't QB the PP that year, however, because Halifax had big a big German Defenseman and Sharks 6th round pick, Konrad Abeltshauser. Regardles, Mac played big minutes and put up quality points, and was expected to be drafted in the 4th-5th round range.

After being passed up time and again, Weegar was set to go undrafted, until Rivet's agent did him another favour. The agent was good friends with Dave Tallon, the then GM for the Florida Panthers. He called Tallon and asked him to take flyer on the kid because he was being undervalued. Tallon didn't have a pick left in the Draft, but called Montreal to see if they had somebody they wanted to take in the 7th round. Montreal didn't have anyone they loved, so they agreed to swap the pick to Florida for a 7th rounder the following year. With the 6th last pick of the draft (#206 overall), Florida selected Mac Weegar and the rest is history.

Weegar returned to Halifax the following year and played a lead role as the team's #1D, alongside Drouin, and Timo Meier. He had a really big year in Halifax that year and went on to work his way up through Florida's organization.

Thank you, great background story, loved it.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I wonder if the NYI would consider moving Pulock and Varlamov. They are falling quickly out of the playoff picture, and that roster really isn't ever going to get them anywhere. He'd be an ideal guy to partner with Mo, and is signed until the end of 29-30. Lou probably never considers a retool, or rebuild, but it's what they need, and their fans at least are talking about it.

Pulock is a guy I'd move the 1st for, and given the length of the contract, is a solid long-term move for us. I really don't know how to make the cap work on this one for this year.

What would be an interesting trade, would be Pulock + Varlamov, moving Samsonov out...

We'd have to move Timmins, Samsonov, Reaves and Gregor out... just to get get close to the cap... -430k, once Jarnkrok is back. Or Jarnkrok stays on LTIR until the playoffs...
I would love Ryan Pulock.

Sad story with him as his brother passed away really young and was a huge Leafs fan. I've read Pulock would love to be a Leaf one day to pay homage to his deceased brother.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Weegar would be a great acquisition... better than either Tanev or Hanifin IMO. Tough to fit the cap in this year though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, three points.

1) Bobby McMann could be a player that actually provides some secondary scoring and chips in with a goal or two in a seven game playoff series.

2) Every team could use an extra F as they gear up for the playoffs. However, our bigger need might be a Dman. It's about where to use our assets in a trade. Right now we have Lagesson on the top pairing, seems like upgrading there and pushing Lagesson to #7/8 is the better bang for our buck.

3) we do have Jarnkrok and Gregor to find homes for, so anyone we trade for needs to be better than two of those and McMann.

I guess the question I have for you is this.

Let's say they went on a run and won the cup and they do it in 22 games.

Do you believe Bobby Mcmann can get you say 6 goals and 10 points? Now you are going to say he's on a better pace than that now and he is but It's the regular season scoring gets tougher in the playoffs so I'm thinking 10 points in 22 games.

You think he can do that? If you believe he can then you might be set up front.

If you aren't sure then you might want to add a depth scorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad