Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Best years of his career? Hard pass on Karlsson.

Agreed, it looks attractive based on the name and past success, but he didn’t just look okay, he looked awful. Too risky.

You think our defense sucks now
Your giving away all the future for a guy who
Doesn’t know what defense looks like.
Wow!
If Karlsson scores three goals but is on the ice for four that isn’t progress

LMAO.

Posts like this keep me young.

Tell me you are not serious.

Karlsson 975 games 803 points -94
In his career

Sometimes you gotta go for it.

This is one of them. Everybody's drooling for a Norris trophy winning RHD on the team. But nobody wants to trade for a guy with three of them.

And that's why the Leafs will never win the cup.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Except it seems our shortcoming every playoffs is secondary scoring, scoring in general actually. Domi and Bertuzzi are here to address that.

Klingberg however. If we wer going to spend 4m+ on a dman, that wasn't it.
Yeah that was a stinker. We dodged a bullet with him on litr. Year after year we blame secondary scoring when it's our top 4 Wiltering. Playoffs goals are hard to get. It's the team who let's the least in who wins. Leafs need to learn to win 2 to 1 in OT, not try and win 7 to 6. It's a dumb philosophy that never wins a cup.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs trade Cowan, Niemela, Robertson, 1st, conditional 1st 2026 (Leafs win the cup any year 2024-2026) to Pens for Erik Karlsson (50% retained).

Leafs trade Minten, Liljegren to Chicago to retain another half of Karlsson's salary.

Selling the future to win now. A concept as old as hockey itself. Trading a maybe for a known commodity.

Maybe Cowan goes on to be the next Marty St. Louis.

Or maybe he goes on to become the next Nikolai Borschevsky. Erik Karlsson is a three time Norris trophy winner having one of the best years of his career. I know who I'd rather have on the team.

Anyone not helping win a cup the next two years should be expendable.

But not for just any old rental to strengthen the fringes. That's worked so well every other year. They need to swing for the fences and get the best player available regardless of cost.

Go big or go home.
They went big last year. They went home early.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Price for Tarasenko

Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia reports several teams have expressed interest in Ottawa Senators pending unrestricted free agent Vladimir Tarasenko as the deadline nears.

According to Garrioch, the Senators are looking for "at least a second-round pick and a prospect" in return for Tarasenko, with the price potentially being higher if the team retains a portion of his $5 million cap hit.
Garrioch reports the Senators are expected to ask Tarasenko about waiving his no-trade clause in the coming days, noting the belief is winger is looking to parlay a trade into an extension with his new team.

Necas on the market?

Citing a "reliable" source, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports the Carolina Hurricanes are willing to listen on forward Martin Necas.

The 25-year-old centre has 18 goals and 42 points in 53 games this season after posting 28 goals and 71 points in 82 games last season. Necas could be in for a significant raise from his current $3 million salary as he hits restricted free agency this July.

Fleury Staying Put?

It appears veteran goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury could be off the trade market as the Minnesota Wild push for the playoffs amid a strong stretch of play.

Fleury, 39, is a pending unrestricted free agent and controls his own destiny with a full no-move clause. He stopped 30 of 32 shots faced in Saturday's 5-2 win over the Seattle Kraken as the Wild improved to 7-2-1 in their last 10 games.

“If we were last in the conference, maybe it’d be a little bit different,” Fleury told The Athletic after the victory. “But this is my team. We’ve been battling together, right? I take pride in winning with this team. I want us to make the playoffs. That’s my first priority.

"I think being in the hunt, it’s fun, it’s challenging. And I want to be here and see this team make the playoffs.”

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Leafs trade Cowan, Niemela, Robertson, 1st, conditional 1st 2026 (Leafs win the cup any year 2024-2026) to Pens for Erik Karlsson (50% retained).

Leafs trade Minten, Liljegren to Chicago to retain another half of Karlsson's salary.

Selling the future to win now. A concept as old as hockey itself. Trading a maybe for a known commodity.

Maybe Cowan goes on to be the next Marty St. Louis.

Or maybe he goes on to become the next Nikolai Borschevsky. Erik Karlsson is a three time Norris trophy winner having one of the best years of his career. I know who I'd rather have on the team.

Anyone not helping win a cup the next two years should be expendable.

But not for just any old rental to strengthen the fringes. That's worked so well every other year. They need to swing for the fences and get the best player available regardless of cost.

Go big or go home.
Please stay away from the beer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dammit. He was the better option compared to Tanev.
I really like Larsson, good contract, term, size... but he isn't having a great year... bleeding chances against, despite being fairly sheltered with O zone starts.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sometimes you gotta go for it.

This is one of them. Everybody's drooling for a Norris trophy winning RHD on the team. But nobody wants to trade for a guy with three of them.

And that's why the Leafs will never win the cup.
I think the more reasonable way to look at this is that people in an online forum disagreed with the proposal you proposed because it was dog shit.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but whether or not the Leafs win the cup has absolutely nothing to do with the convoluted thoughts that float through your brain.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
The Blackhawks have sold or re-signed (or terminated their contract) all of their chips eh?

They have some Leaf legends: Blackwell, Mrazek, Joey Anderson, Zaitsev

Jason Dickinson seems like someone they should trade. 28 year old centre with 17 goals, under contract for 2 more years, big player, he's a +5 on that team

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I think the more reasonable way to look at this is that people in an online forum disagreed with the proposal you proposed because it was dog shit.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but whether or not the Leafs win the cup has absolutely nothing to do with the convoluted thoughts that float through your brain.
Thank you for handling this.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah that was a stinker. We dodged a bullet with him on litr. Year after year we blame secondary scoring when it's our top 4 Wiltering. Playoffs goals are hard to get. It's the team who let's the least in who wins. Leafs need to learn to win 2 to 1 in OT, not try and win 7 to 6. It's a dumb philosophy that never wins a cup.
I am not sure it is as simple as saying our top players wilter so much as we can't rely on them to be the only ones scoring. We scored 33 goals in the last playoffs and 20 came from the big 5 (3 more came from RoR). That's ten goals from the rest of the roster. This is where we need Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, Jarnkrok, Robertson and others to kick in more.

Reactions: aingefan and ULF_55

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Now that the 2018 WJC names are public I wonder if it would be worth buying low on Raddysh. Big body RW that was very good last year offensively and defensively. He's been bad this year which should make his acquisition cost reasonable. Maybe you can get him as a throw in as part of a bigger deal for Murphy. 2024 1st+Robertson+Niemela for Murphy+Raddysh. The playoff roster would look something like:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Raddysh
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Murphy
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe

Edit: Connor Murphy is out indefinitely. Maybe scrap this idea.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seth Jones / Huberdeau / Nurse are probably the worst contracts in the NHL

Jones has come a long way... his game has improved so much over the last few years. He'd be a great guy to add for sure, but that contract is such a problem, and retention just doesn't seem realistic... plus what exactly would you need to give up, to get someone to retain $25 mil?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
No team will retain for six years... and we'd probably need them to retain $4 mil+.... It would be nearly $25 million in total.... that's just not going to happen.
I think he's a 7+ million player, not the 1st pp guy that everyone thought he would be but mobile , RHD with size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad