Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs trade Cowan, Niemela, Robertson, 1st, conditional 1st 2026 (Leafs win the cup any year 2024-2026) to Pens for Erik Karlsson (50% retained).

Leafs trade Minten, Liljegren to Chicago to retain another half of Karlsson's salary.

Selling the future to win now. A concept as old as hockey itself. Trading a maybe for a known commodity.

Maybe Cowan goes on to be the next Marty St. Louis.

Or maybe he goes on to become the next Nikolai Borschevsky. Erik Karlsson is a three time Norris trophy winner having one of the best years of his career. I know who I'd rather have on the team.

Anyone not helping win a cup the next two years should be expendable.

But not for just any old rental to strengthen the fringes. That's worked so well every other year. They need to swing for the fences and get the best player available regardless of cost.

Go big or go home.

I like the thought, but if you're moving that many pieces for one player, you are probably opening up more options than a 33 year old offensive d-man.

And in your scenario, using additional assets for the Hawks to retain an additional 3 years.

So, let's look at the Chicago retention.
If they are willing to retain 3 years beyond this year they probably don't really care who the player is they are retaining on. $3mm is $3mm, player is irrelevant, term is.

So start looking around the league for RD where a trading team will do a retention for a price. And you've already built in the retention cost with the extreme offer you've created.
Add in a contract max of 3 years beyond this year.

Weeger's contract for example is too longer for retention.
Doughty's isn't. London, Ontario born.
John Carlson is fine.
Rasmus Andersson is good, and only need Hawks' retention.
... when you're offering that package I'd bet some bottom feeders would come knocking more than once.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
seth jones with retention....
No thank you.

But on a totally unrelated note how about Gregor/Timmins for Taylor Hall? Take the chance that he can recover to play at some point in the playoffs and alleviate our roster crunch as guys get healthy.

Decide in the summer what you want to do with his final year of the contract.

Reactions: stickty111

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No thank you.

But on a totally unrelated note how about Gregor/Timmins for Taylor Hall? Take the chance that he can recover to play at some point in the playoffs and alleviate our roster crunch as guys get healthy.

No chance we’re taking Hall unless we gain assets.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
No thank you.

Are they throwing in 50% retention?

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
the more I think about it we should push for Schenn and Saros. Proven chemistry between Schenn and Rielly, and a stud in goal is something we haven’t had in a couple decades.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
the more I think about it we should push for Schenn and Saros. Proven chemistry between Schenn and Rielly, and a stud in goal is something we haven’t had in a couple decades.
I think we may have gotten lucky with a perfect storm of Schenn last year. First of all he was under a million AAV as opposed to the 2.75 mill (or so) that he's on now.

He also hasn't played very well this year as a Pred. I think we got the absolute best out of him last season with his excitement of returning to the Leafs. At this point I think were better suited to look elsewhere. His new price tag really does not match his output.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I think we may have gotten lucky with a perfect storm of Schenn last year. First of all he was under a million AAV as opposed to the 2.75 mill (or so) that he's on now.

He also hasn't played very well this year as a Pred. I think we got the absolute best out of him last season with his excitement of returning to the Leafs. At this point I think were better suited to look elsewhere. His new price tag really does not match his output.
I'd only consider it at 50% retention. Luke Schenn at 1.3m sounds nice, but even then the term is iffy. At his age, the wheels can fall off at any time.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

It's not much the AAV but the term thats the ptoblem for Schenn.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

Push for cap relief. I’m divorcing the cap hit from the player, and yes, maybe he hasn’t been as good this year, but that could be due to system, partner, etc. he wasn’t exactly amazing last year before we picked him up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd only consider it at 50% retention. Luke Schenn at 1.3m sounds nice, but even then the term is iffy. At his age, the wheels can fall off at any time.

I think the Leafs were prepared to extend him around 2M for a few years, but he opted to get a little more on the market. Good for him.

I don't think the Leafs would mind having him back in some capacity and if given away but just like anything, sometimes you just need to move on just like Schenn decided to do.

The funny thing is that if the Leafs had a Schenn player on their roster struggling and what not, they would need to attach a 1st to him to dump him out.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I like the thought, but if you're moving that many pieces for one player, you are probably opening up more options than a 33 year old offensive d-man.

And in your scenario, using additional assets for the Hawks to retain an additional 3 years.

So, let's look at the Chicago retention.
If they are willing to retain 3 years beyond this year they probably don't really care who the player is they are retaining on. $3mm is $3mm, player is irrelevant, term is.

So start looking around the league for RD where a trading team will do a retention for a price. And you've already built in the retention cost with the extreme offer you've created.
Add in a contract max of 3 years beyond this year.

Weeger's contract for example is too longer for retention.
Doughty's isn't. London, Ontario born.
John Carlson is fine.
Rasmus Andersson is good, and only need Hawks' retention.
... when you're offering that package I'd bet some bottom feeders would come knocking more than once.

Thanks you, someone gets it.

My preference is Karlsson because he is the best there is and his contract lines up nicely with Matthews. If they don't win by then they have to do a re-tool. But if not Karlsson there are other defensemen scattered throughout the league that could work.

My whole point is, that with a little ingenuity, the Leafs could add the greatest defensemen of this generation on the team for the next four years, for a $2.5M cap hit, while only removing Liljegren and Robertson off the current roster to balance the cap.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why do so many people want to bring in guys that turned us down in the offseason? Dumba and Schenn both were offered contracts; both said no, signed somewhere else and are having terrible seasons, let them lay in the bed they made.

Dumba doesn't help us anymore than Timmins. Dude is a firetire in his zone
Schenn was good last year, but his contract is untouchable in my opinion

Long shot, but I would target Kuzmenko as a potential depth signing. As much as I like Knies, not sure if he has the horses yet to be playing top 3 come playoff times

Reactions: rumman and Al14

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Dont worry guys, no more need for the Markstrom or Saros talk, we got a 2 time champ coming back for the playoffs :laugh:

I honestly would not be surprised if Murray is re-signed at a buriable amount next season to be what Martin Jones was for us this year. See if he can find anything at the AHL level and go from there. No harm against the cap.

It's been incredible to see what Kane has been able to do this year after the hip surgeries and Murray is much younger. Obviously, not comparing the pedigree of Murray to Kane.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Flames are out to lunch looking for a 1st for Tanev at his age and contract status

We have a prime McCabe for THREE playoff runs at 50% retained + Lafferty for a protected 1st.
Supply and demand.... if that is what someone is willing to pay, that's what they'll get. They should be asking for a lot right now... it's bargaining. If they don't get their starting point in bargaining, they'll cave and take less when it becomes clear that they can't get their ask.... or let him walk for nothing... which doesn't seem like good asset management at all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Supply and demand.... if that is what someone is willing to pay, that's what they'll get. They should be asking for a lot right now... it's bargaining. If they don't get their starting point in bargaining, they'll cave and take less when it becomes clear that they can't get their ask.... or let him walk for nothing... which doesn't seem like good asset management at all.

Did it not become a 1st. once the Leafs got involved and didn't have a 2nd. to give, or a square to spare?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Did it not become a 1st. once the Leafs got involved and didn't have a 2nd. to give, or a square to spare?

What we seem to have is media speculation as to the ask... whether they have actually talked to anyone in Calgary is unknown. I don't know that the ask was publicly stated as a 2nd at first... or if it was, and there was enough demand Calgary thought that they could bump it up to a 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad