Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We need Cowan. We may have to let Marner walk if we implode again. A new gm may not want to overpay him.
They will gladly overpay Marner, because Tavares will be coming off the books. They will sign him and run it back after using the coach "bullet" to justify it. Shanny is a politician. A bad one, but a politician.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can see the logic in Nelson. He could be a really good second line centre for the Leafs, and he's proven that he can score in the playoffs. But it would for sure cost the 1st and a good prospect since he has another year left on his contract.
Nelson is better than Lee but if they were going to move Cowan, I'd prefer it to be for a high end young defender with term.

We need Cowan. We may have to let Marner walk if we implode again. A new gm may not want to overpay him.
If you think theyre going to fire Treliving this summer, you're going to have a bad time.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
We need a tough drop the gloves dman and another of the same for a fourth line player to combat the Florida rats. If not we are gone in five again because the refs will let the rats run wild.
It's why I hated signing both Reaves and Kampf.

Kampf is an offensive blackhole and in order to get the most of out him, you need to build a shutdown line around him. Reaves can only be deployed as a 4th liner, but cannot hang on a shutdown line. So you end up with a misfit trio that serves no purpose.

We will probably end up with a combination of [Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok/Holmberg/McMann] 4th line, which is vanilla and soft.

Reactions: OVO16

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I honestly would not be surprised if Murray is re-signed at a buriable amount next season to be what Martin Jones was for us this year. See if he can find anything at the AHL level and go from there. No harm against the cap.

It's been incredible to see what Kane has been able to do this year after the hip surgeries and Murray is much younger. Obviously, not comparing the pedigree of Murray to Kane.

Yep. Don't blink if he's the teams #3 next season

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think the narrative that a forward draft pick won't help you for 4 or 5 years needs to be thrown out the window. This isn't the 90's. I get that defencemen and goalies take time. But plenty of forwards step in at age 18-21 and contribute.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It's why I hated signing both Reaves and Kampf.

Kampf is an offensive blackhole and in order to get the most of out him, you need to build a shutdown line around him. Reaves can only be deployed as a 4th liner, but cannot hang on a shutdown line. So you end up with a misfit trio that serves no purpose.

We will probably end up with a combination of [Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok/Holmberg/McMann] 4th line, which is vanilla and soft.
A fourth line centre in Kampf that doesn’t score at will. Ya weird stuff.

Also, expecting Cowan to be a true impact player next is fool hearted.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
They will gladly overpay Marner, because Tavares will be coming off the books. They will sign him and run it back after using the coach "bullet" to justify it. Shanny is a politician. A bad one, but a politician.
Hopefully the new guy that MLSE is bringing in will see things differently.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Still would love to see the Leafs go after Larsson and Tanev from Seattle.

To Toronto-
Larsson
Tanev

To Seattle-
Jarnkrok
Timmons
Reaves
Niemela
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Tanev-Tavares-McMann
Robertson-Kampf-Holmberg

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit- McCabe
Giordano
If I was Seattle I don’t think I would do that trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If they do poorly in the playoffs I think big changes will happen and you can forget about Shanahan. That new guy comes in April. I think this is it for this model.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Nelson is better than Lee but if they were going to move Cowan, I'd prefer it to be for a high end young defender with term.

If you think theyre going to fire Treliving this summer, you're going to have a bad time.
I don't think they would need to move Cowan for Nelson. I think it would probably be more like a 1st and Minten.

Yep. Don't blink if he's the teams #3 next season
Why would he resign to never play as a third string goalie? I imagine he will try to sign on as a backup somewhere on a one year deal. Now, maybe that could be Toronto since both Samsonov and Jones will likely be gone, but I think that's about the only way Murray comes back.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The Leafs lines make a lot more sense now that Tavares and Nylander have been split up, but our 4th line still lacks any sort of identity. It has Kampf, but it's not really a defensive line. It has Reaves but it's not a gritty, crash and bang line. It has Gregor, but it's not really an energy line.

Each player serves a very specific role, but in combination they don't really make a lot of sense as a line in terms of accomplishing anything. They're not a shutdown line but they don't really drive play or cause havoc on the forecheck either.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When the sellers want too much everyone waits for the first show to drop and set the market. Clearly Tre won't overpay.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
When the sellers want too much everyone waits for the first show to drop and set the market. Clearly Tre won't overpay.
Tre gives everyone the impression that hes hard at work because hes busting every GMs balls every couple of days but when push comes to shove he does nothing. Everyone knows the type.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why would he resign to never play as a third string goalie? I imagine he will try to sign on as a backup somewhere on a one year deal. Now, maybe that could be Toronto since both Samsonov and Jones will likely be gone, but I think that's about the only way Murray comes back.

Well, we ended up playing our #3 quite a bit this year.

He just spent a whole year not playing, he may not have a ton of suitors. I suspect he's probably going to have to start in a more limited role to build back his reputation. For both him and the team, he's known to the coaches + training staff, so it could be an easy fit.

I can see a scenario where they resign Jones to be the backup for cheap to help them ride out the tighter cap situation next season, especially if he finishes the season strongly. But it's too early to tell there. I could also see a scenario of Sammy coming back if he finishes strongly

Reactions: bax

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I can see the logic in Nelson. He could be a really good second line centre for the Leafs, and he's proven that he can score in the playoffs. But it would for sure cost the 1st and a good prospect since he has another year left on his contract.

How much retention, 50%?

I'm sure the Islanders would be happy to move out 33 year old 50 point player with $7mm Cap Hit for an influx of futures.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Tre gives everyone the impression that hes hard at work because hes busting every GMs balls every couple of days but when push comes to shove he does nothing. Everyone knows the type.
With what little he got left he doesn't have much to bargain with. It's the Leafs when do we ever win a trade? It's rare, everyone wants overpay. If Tre would give up a first then a trade would have already happened. Because of our salary structure we can't give up young and cheap prospects.Our defense pool is thin.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How much retention, 50%?

I'm sure the Islanders would be happy to move out 33 year old 50 point player with $7mm Cap Hit for an influx of futures.
Nelson is 32 and scored 75 points last season, and he makes $6 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad