Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What we seem to have is media speculation as to the ask... whether they have actually talked to anyone in Calgary is unknown. I don't know that the ask was publicly stated as a 2nd at first... or if it was, and there was enough demand Calgary thought that they could bump it up to a 1st.

Media suggested a 2nd., but since Leafs didn't have a 2nd. it was a 1st. from Leafs.
So now maybe the strategy is to say, "Leafs offering a 1st., so beat that offer."

I'd be extremely disappointed if the Leafs GM offered up a 1st. for Tanev.
It wouldn't show any improvement / growth in strategy.

Reactions: LeafParade and Roo

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Media suggested a 2nd., but since Leafs didn't have a 2nd. it was a 1st. from Leafs.
So now maybe the strategy is to say, "Leafs offering a 1st., so beat that offer."

That reasoning by the media is unreasonable

I'm selling an item for $10 but the buyer only has a $20, so that's what it'll take to purchase it.

The Leafs can offer an equilivant value to a 2nd round pick, it doesn't raise the price because we don't happen to have a 2nd

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Anybody think they will trade Sammy because of his cap hit to get the d man they need. Sounds like Murray is progressing, wouldn't be surprised if they activate him for playoffs to be the third goalie

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anybody think they will trade Sammy because of his cap hit to get the d man they need. Sounds like Murray is progressing, wouldn't be surprised if they activate him for playoffs to be the third goalie
I'd say it's incredibly unlikely Murray dresses for any professional hockey in the 2023-24 season. Next year as a UFA is a different story.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Dumba doesn't help us anymore than Timmins. Dude is a firetire in his zone
Schenn was good last year, but his contract is untouchable in my opinion

Long shot, but I would target Kuzmenko as a potential depth signing. As much as I like Knies, not sure if he has the horses yet to be playing top 3 come playoff times
Last year was a small sample obviously but he was fantastic until that f***er Bennett ended his season. Wasn't he on for 3 or 4 gwg against Tampa?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say it's incredibly unlikely Murray dresses for any professional hockey in the 2023-24 season. Next year as a UFA is a different story.

Maybe we can convince JT to do a Murray / Kucherov thing, take the regular season off, re-join with us at the playoffs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If he was willing to deal his first, Tanev would be a Leaf. heard Tre offered 2x3rd.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Still would love to see the Leafs go after Larsson and Tanev from Seattle.

To Toronto-
Larsson
Tanev

To Seattle-
Jarnkrok
Timmons
Reaves
Niemela
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Tanev-Tavares-McMann
Robertson-Kampf-Holmberg

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit- McCabe
Giordano

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Are the islanders selling? We could look into their Dmen

Mayfield
Pulock
They most definitely should be selling, but nobody should be buying Scott Mayfield. Pulock is a different story, but he would require actual assets to acquire.

Kyper suggested Lee or Nelson (50%) for Cowan.
The fact that he even suggested Anders Lee says everything you need to know. Lee is fully cooked, as in he would make Jason Allison look fast.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
In fairness he is trading Cowan if he thinks the player puts us over the top. His modo is to go all in if you think you are close because Cowan won't help for another 4 years. It makes sense but I prefer to hang onto Cowan.
It's not the logic that I disagree with.

Neither Lee nor Nelson put us over the top. Cowan might be on the team as soon as next season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
In fairness he is trading Cowan if he thinks the player puts us over the top. His modo is to go all in if you think you are close because Cowan won't help for another 4 years. It makes sense but I prefer to hang onto Cowan.
We need Cowan. We may have to let Marner walk if we implode again. A new gm may not want to overpay him.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's not the logic that I disagree with.

Neither Lee nor Nelson put us over the top. Cowan might be on the team as soon as next season.
I can see the logic in Nelson. He could be a really good second line centre for the Leafs, and he's proven that he can score in the playoffs. But it would for sure cost the 1st and a good prospect since he has another year left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad