Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They won't be contending anytime soon, and retaining for 1 year would likely give them an even greater return.
The problem for them is that I think there are some other guys they need to trade that they would absolutely have to retain on - i.e., a guy like Lee.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
I say try and get Schenn retained 50% from Nashville. He is signed for two more years and would be $1.325M. Leafs need this cheap player (especially next year).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nelson is 32 and scored 75 points last season, and he makes $6 million.

All players have career years.

We'll give him the benefit of doubt and do his last 5 years.
267 / 335 * 82 = 65 points

So with no regression he's a 65 point player.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for 1 rental and 1 year of a Nelson.

I know some like to mortgage the future for every event.

My position is the the Leafs core is young enough that Cowan will be a player while they're still in their prime.

Reactions: Kurtz and Roo

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
All players have career years.

We'll give him the benefit of doubt and do his last 5 years.
267 / 335 * 82 = 65 points

So with no regression he's a 65 point player.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for 1 rental and 1 year of a Nelson.

I know some like to mortgage the future for every event.

My position is the the Leafs core is young enough that Cowan will be a player while they're still in their prime.
Trust me, I certainly wouldn't sell the farm for Brock Nelson. That said, I also think he should be given his due as he has also proven himself to be a pretty good playoff performer. In any event, I have no doubt that Lou will hang on to him and probably resign him, because Lou seems to have lost a few steps in the last couple of years.

Reactions: ULF_55

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I say try and get Schenn retained 50% from Nashville. He is signed for two more years and would be $1.325M. Leafs need this cheap player (especially next year).
I envision that ship to have probably now sailed (L. Schenn as a Leaf). Furthermore, the cost in trade for that retention - which would also occupy NSH's final remaining slot - isn't likely to be quite as cheap as the reduced AAV would be.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Feels like if they miss out on Tanev, they'll throw mutliple darts at depth guys to see if one sticks.

Lyubushkin
Edmundson
Carrick

All these guys won't be costing more than a 3rd.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Don't know if this has been posted in the thread, but:

Multiple teams are believed to have interest in Mantha, including the Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs, however the Capitals might need to retain a portion of his $5.7 million salary cap hit to help facilitate a trade

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Feel like we've been linked to everyone. Most recent I've seen is Mantha and he's a very good player when he uses his size to his advantage but seems to lack consistency. In his defence I guess he hasn't really been on great teams if I remember correctly so who knows. Jensen is another player on the caps I wouldn't mind at 50% retained. Only issue is idk how we make a deal work with them cap wise for both players so I doubt that's an option.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Islanders are likely sellers, a huge pickup would be Pulock or a much lesser pickup Mayfield who would probably work well with Rielly

Reactions: arso40

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Islanders are likely sellers, a huge pickup would be Pulock or a much lesser pickup Mayfield who would probably work well with Rielly
Stay far away from Mayfield, he's already 31 and is locked in for 6 more years after this season at 3.5 million. Sure, he might give you 1 or 2 more years but then that contract is going to look ugly. If we're going to be giving up large assets, which it would take to get either Mayfield or Pulock, I'd rather use it on a younger player.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Stay far away from Mayfield, he's already 31 and is locked in for 6 more years after this season at 3.5 million. Sure, he might give you 1 or 2 more years but then that contract is going to look ugly. If we're going to be giving up large assets, which it would take to get either Mayfield or Pulock, I'd rather use it on a younger player.
Pulock is 29, he has 4-5 years of prime left and he’s a top pair shutdown RD.

The issue would be cap and the Islanders would want a huge package.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It definitely feels like Treliving’s m.o. is to cast a much wider net than Dubas would/could.

Feels like the guy is into everything and doesn’t have an issue drawing a line in the sand on what he is willing to pay.

Interested to see what his TDL looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Pulock would be a great add, but I doubt the Islanders move him. I would bet that Lou is more likely to be buying rather than selling.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Seriously. Do people just ignore his contract? It's awful, Isles fans can't wait to unload it. After next season we are free and clear of anchor contracts, let's keep it that way please.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Pulock isn't the shutdown RD. He's more of a PMD. If you are picking him up to make up for Rielly's defensive deficiencies, you will be disappointed. He's a good D, and isn't bad at D, but it's Pelech who is the defensive stability in that pairing... you'd want the RD version of Pelech.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Feels like if they miss out on Tanev, they'll throw mutliple darts at depth guys to see if one sticks.

Lyubushkin
Edmundson
Carrick

All these guys won't be costing more than a 3rd.
First time I have seen Edmundson and he has been the guy I secretly have been hoping for.
LH and plays the right side.
Cup finalist
$1.75/year and 30 years old.
6'5" 220 lbs

Washington got him for a 3rd and a 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2