Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It definitely feels like Treliving’s m.o. isn’t cast a much wider net than Dubas would/could.

Feels like the guy is into everything and doesn’t have an issue drawing a line in the sand on what he is willing to pay.

Interested to see what his TDL looks like.
I'm not expecting more than help on D. I think some teams are waiting so that the cap hits will be as low as possible and anticipate teams to soften knowing if they do not move a pending UFA, they will probably lose him for nothing.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Age, postion, contract fit what Toronto is looking for, but not sure if he’s ready or good enough to be riding in the top 4.
Peeke could be exactly what we need. The RD that can play with Rielly, the size, the skating, the term at a decent cost.

...or it could be a big mistake. Why is he playing so poorly? Why did CBJ acquire players to bump him down the depth chart in the offseason? Why no is there talk of him being a buyout candidate?

You said, "not sure if he is ready or good enough to be riding in the top 4" and I agree. If we get it wrong it becomes the reason we can't rebuild the D the way we need to. Maybe with low acquisition cost and retention it is worth the risk.

I think Lyubushkin might be less risky for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Peeke could be exactly what we need. The RD that can play with Rielly, the size, the skating, the term at a decent cost.

...or it could be a big mistake. Why is he playing so poorly? Why did CBJ acquire players to bump him down the depth chart in the offseason? Why no is there talk of him being a buyout candidate?

You said, "not sure if he is ready or good enough to be riding in the top 4" and I agree. If we get it wrong it becomes the reason we can't rebuild the D the way we need to. Maybe with low acquisition cost and retention it is worth the risk.

We've talked about this before. Peeke two years ago was good enough to play alongside Mo. Everything Columbus went downhill last year. He averaged 21 minutes a game last year, with up to 27 minutes for them. Merzlinkens was a 0.876 goalie. Team average was 0.891. Peeke was 61% Dzone starts. His partner was Gavrikov before, who also looked terrible there, and now is doing very well in LA.

I personally think Peeke's confidence is a bit shot, relied on him defensively too much, with little support, and then went out and found a replacement, instead of working with a 25 year old, who had done tremendously well at 23.

I think if the right team picks him up, and and grows his confidence back, works with him and partners with someone to compliment him... by 28 we will be talking about what a defensive stud he is.

But there is risk that the right team and system isn't where he goes, and that he never gets that confidence. The physical tools are there, it isn't injuries.... it's the mental.

At $2.75 mil, I'm just not sure we are the team to take that risk.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Since Columbus is looking at moving Provorov as well, we already know Treliving tried to get Zadorov and Tanev, I wonder if he looks at maybe Provorov and Peeke package.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Since Columbus is looking at moving Provorov as well, we already know Treliving tried to get Zadorov and Tanev, I wonder if he looks at maybe Provorov and Peeke package.
No interest in Provorov at all. I don't believe that we need a second pairing D, that is mostly offensive, not very good defensively. I think there is a lot of hype around him, based on his first couple of seasons, and then he's regressed since then, when people thought he'd continue to get better. He used to be fairly physical, but that part of his game has been reduced.

His 21 year old year was phenomenal... 41 points, +17 and 148 hits.

His last three seasons high was 31 points, a collective -49 and less hits. You've also got 65 takeaways vs. 203 giveaways during that time... That is the worst takeaway/giveaway ratio in the league over that itme.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - McMann
XXXX - Kampf - Jarnkrok
ex. Gregor - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - XXXX
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
ex. Giordano - XXXX
Lagesson - Timmins

Woll
Samsonov
ex. Jones
Murray

They need a checking line, PK winger to complete the 4th line. The forward group lacks defensive talent and PK experience. The 1st line is competent defensively, the other two lines are weaker defensively. Completing that 4th line with a 3rd line quality winger would create another line that can be used against dangerous offensive forwards. Options that could be in our price range include (Zucker, Wennberg, Trenin, Okposo, Kapanen, Clutterbuck).

They need a defensive minded top-4 partner to play along side Rielly like Schenn and Lube did. The other two pairings have come together nicely. They also need a #7-8 defenseman to battle with Giordano for ice time on the right side.

Last year they grabbed 6 new players. I think they can get away with 3 this season and save on chips used. Klingberg got hurt early, his minutes still need to be replaced. A couple additional extra depth moves to fill holes and they look good. They have a 4 headed dragon in goal. That defense core would run 10 deep. The forward core is lighter on paper extending into the extras, but they still have Steeves, Clifford and Gambrell on the Marlies.

When it comes to deadline shopping, after playing with capfriendly. They have about 4M to use on those 3 upgrades. That is with Timmins moving to LTIR until the playoffs, Lagesson and Reaves waived and demoted and with Holmberg being sent down waiver free until there is an injury.

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Ron Hainsey says hi…….
Ron Hainsey was also in the same boat as previous years, someone playing well above where they should have been playing. For Toronto to be serious cup contenders, they need to add legitimate top 4 talent, not fill in with lesser players.

You have to wonder, why he’s been limited to 20 games only on a poor Columbus team, (haven’t seen if he’s been injured or not) I would take a chance on him with a 3rd rounder and salary retained, but like I said above, Toronto needs to hit on a proper top 4dman with the little assets we have left.

Reactions: nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Ron Hainsey was also in the same boat as previous years, someone playing well above where they should have been playing. For Toronto to be serious cup contenders, they need to add legitimate top 4 talent, not fill in with lesser players.

You have to wonder, why he’s been limited to 20 games only on a poor Columbus team, (haven’t seen if he’s been injured or not) I would take a chance on him with a 3rd rounder and salary retained, but like I said above, Toronto needs to hit on a proper top 4dman with the little assets we have left.
The issue with acquiring Peeke is he is a 100% chance to be better than he currently is as a Jacket but not 50-50 to be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy and certainly not more likely to outperform Brodie in a top 4 role. Its a gamble because he is having a bad year and coming off of another bad year and he was never a star to begin with.

Once you spend, acquire, and give the guy a reasonable chance to fit in, the deadline has passed and closer to seasons end you will probably know what you have. These experiments need to be done at the beginning of the year. Now its kind of too late to do it and then pivot if it doesn't work out.

There are players available that are pretty much guaranteed to step in and make the club better and only if the club can't land one of those does Peeke make any sense at all. He is a Hail Mary at this point. Some people are confusing what he could possibly be, with what he is most likely to be and to me he looks like a guy to look at over the summer.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
capitals are out of playoffs again, what about trying to go for Wilson?
2024 first, Grebyonkin since the love Russians, Niemela,Sammy for cap

And then Tanev 50 percent for Jarnkrok, Timmins and a third

Wilson Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Reeves
Robertson(switch with Reeves when playing less physical opponent)

This forward group would be our best bet to match Florida physically

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Jones

Reactions: bax and notdoneyet

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Wilson Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Reeves

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Jones
Not a chance in hell I touch that Wilson contract. Nevermind the assets mentioned.

I would listen to a Crouse/McBain combination though. Younger and without the knee issues.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Wilson Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Reeves

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Jones
If I’m going to Washington, I am pushing for Jensen.

For a brief and exhilarating moment last trade deadline I thought he was the defenceman coming in the Sandin trade but turned out to be Gustafson.

I know he just reupped with them. Maybe he doesn’t want to be on a team that looks like it’s headed on the downside…..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium