Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
How about Duhaime as a 4th line depth pickup? Good size, kills penalties, plays both wings, and 7 fights this season. Would be depth and Rat repellent against Florida/Boston.

Not sure if Minny is selling but maybe they’d be interested in a Gregor swap? Gregor is a rfa while Duhaime is a ufa. Gregor has good speed and has done well for us but I can see Duhaime being effective for us in the playoffs despite his down season so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: OVO16 and WTFMAN99

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
So what does Will Borgen cost?
Criminally underrated player. Would love to acquire, but I doubt Seattle are moving him. Borgen would be more difficult to acquire than Larsson imo.

Seattle are the 4th oldest team in the league though, Francis needs to pick a lane this summer. Either rebuild around Beniers, McCann, Dunn, Wright etc or add to their vets and make a push.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Criminally underrated player. Would love to acquire, but I doubt Seattle are moving him. Borgen would be more difficult to acquire than Larsson imo.

Seattle are the 4th oldest team in the league though, Francis needs to pick a lane this summer. Either rebuild around Beniers, McCann, Dunn, Wright etc or add to their vets and make a push.
He has only ever been getting 3rd pairing minutes so it isn't clear how much upside he has. I don't think the Kraken are a deep enough club that they wouldn't have used him a lot more if they felt they could get away with it, rather than play the shit out of Larsson every night. Sometimes players are just good 3rd pairing guys and sometimes they need a coach to give them the chance for more but you really can't tell with him.

An interesting thing is Oleksiak is his battery mate most of the time and his shot based metrics are better away from Oleksiak, but Oleksiak's are also better away from him :huh: which they weren't last season. Nothing about him screams hidden gem more than just competent 5-6 to me but the guy has never had many o zone starts so that could be a reflection of his use. His D zone usage is way higher than Larsson's this year for instance.

He doesn't seem to fit if you are thinking a Reilly partner because he has never been used that way. Still, an interesting player but he doesn't seem to fit with the Leafs unless they were to move on from Lilly and give him a chance at that level of minutes. However this club has never been interested in moving out players that have shown any value at all so..... no :)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He has only ever been getting 3rd pairing minutes so it isn't clear how much upside he has. I don't think the Kraken are a deep enough club that they wouldn't have used him a lot more if they felt they could get away with it, rather than play the shit out of Larsson every night. Sometimes players are just good 3rd pairing guys and sometimes they need a coach to give them the chance for more but you really can't tell with him.

An interesting thing is Oleksiak is his battery mate most of the time and his shot based metrics are better away from Oleksiak, but Oleksiak's are also better away from him :huh: which they weren't last season. Nothing about him screams hidden gem more than just competent 5-6 to me but the guy has never had many o zone starts so that could be a reflection of his use. His D zone usage is way higher than Larsson's this year for instance.

He doesn't seem to fit if you are thinking a Reilly partner because he has never been used that way. Still, an interesting player but he doesn't seem to fit with the Leafs unless they were to move on from Lilly and give him a chance at that level of minutes. However this club has never been interested in moving out players that have shown any value at all so..... no :)

He’s literally 4th TOI/GP among D with a reasonable number of GP for Seattle. He also adds an element to this D that we are sorely missing and is signed 1 more year at a reasonable cap hit.

Not the ideal partner for Reilly but can play the Schenn role.

Reactions: TheShape and rumman

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
We need a right handed shot on defence, and that's pretty much it. I don't want to sell the future like last year.

Adam Larsson would be my first choice, Sean Walker my second.

Looking at Dillon (2nd + 3rd) or Manson (2nd + Helleson), I'd be looking at doing something similar. 2nd + either a 3rd or a guy in that range Hirvonen/Moldenhauer

Reactions: Mad hatter

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We need a right handed shot on defence, and that's pretty much it. I don't want to sell the future like last year.

Adam Larsson would be my first choice, Sean Walker my second.

Looking at Dillon (2nd + 3rd) or Manson (2nd + Helleson), I'd be looking at doing something similar. 2nd + either a 3rd or a guy in that range Hirvonen/Moldenhauer

hate to break it to you but you're parting with futures to get both those guys.

Reactions: uncleben

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
hate to break it to you but you're parting with futures to get both those guys.
Obviously, but what I am trying to say, is I don't think we should go all in multiple positions. IE last year with the ROR, Schenn, McCabe, Lafferty, acquisitions. I'd prefer to stick to a single add.

As for the RD options, comparable players went for (2nd + 3rd)... So that's what I'd be looking to start with. I think there are more RD's than buyers for RD's this year.

Moving Cowan, Niemela or our 1st would be extremely short-sighted IMO.

Reactions: arso40

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Its probably not a question of what he could do,
He’s literally 4th TOI/GP among D with a reasonable number of GP for Seattle. He also adds an element to this D that we are sorely missing and is signed 1 more year at a reasonable cap hit.

Not the ideal partner for Reilly but can play the Schenn role.
Thats still only 17:30 a night. Its not necessarily what he is capable of, but how certain the Leafs would be that he can deliver a push. I don't think they would even give him a look unless they are far more advanced as pro scouts than we believe. Much harder to steal an underplayed upgrade than to just buy the proven commodity.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'd give up a 1st for Larsson, unlike Tanev. Not as injury prone and is under contract for another season after this one. Now of course Seattle has to want to sell and has to be open to trading Larsson which Friedman reported is not something their interested in doing.

Jonas listed a lot of options in a The Athletic. Honestly trade-wise this year it's a pretty weak crop of defensemen. I'd only be willing to move a first for one of them if they're signed beyond this one. Tanev doesn't fit the bill, neither does Lyubushkin. Larsson and Borgen do.

All in all it's not a great list, and only a few of those guys actually shoot right. In any event I hope Seattle more than Calgary bites the bullet and decides to sell.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see @ChuckWoods mention Peeke

i wonder what a trade for him would look like? He's not playing a ton for a God awful Columbus team and has term left on a 2.75M ticket

That isn't exactly attractive, do they just give him to us as a type of cap dump? We send back a cap dump of our own to even things up or do they just retain?

I'd like to know the acquisition cost on all those scenarios

Reactions: arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see @ChuckWoods mention Peeke

i wonder what a trade for him would look like? He's not playing a ton for a God awful Columbus team and has term left on a 2.75M ticket

That isn't exactly attractive, do they just give him to us as a type of cap dump? We send back a cap dump of our own to even things up or do they just retain?

I'd like to know the acquisition cost on all those scenarios

If its a 5th for Peeke or something like Robertson and Timmins for Borgen, I go for Borgen.

Reactions: Kiwi

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Peeke's PK numbers are very concerning.
In what way does this guy move the needle for the Leafs? I keep seeing his name, but I can't think of any world where he solidifies our D....is it we think he has this untapped potential because he was an early 2nd rounder? I don't get it.

Reactions: jaric1862

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In what way does this guy move the needle for the Leafs? I keep seeing his name, but I can't think of any world where he solidifies our D....is it we think he has this untapped potential because he was an early 2nd rounder? I don't get it.
Who do the Leafs have that plays better on the right side? Therein lies the answer imo……..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Defense can take a while to truly breakout.

Gustav Forsling for example took quite a while to come into his own. I think a couple years ago Marcus Pettersson was considered a cap dump. Anton Stralman took a while as well.

Is Peeke going to be that? Difficult to say.

I don't think he would be my first choice though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Gustav Forsling for example took quite a while to come into his own. I think a couple years ago Marcus Pettersson was considered a cap dump. Anton Stralman took a while as well.

We can say that about anyone though, this notion he comes in and suddenly helps us on a cup run, looks like lottery ticket type logic. Anyways.

Who do the Leafs have that plays better on the right side? Therein lies the answer imo……..
Everyone?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We can say that about anyone though, this notion he comes in and suddenly helps us on a cup run, looks like lottery ticket type logic. Anyways.

Everyone?
Not by a long shot……..

At the price he’d cost, well worth the gamble imo, and he’s not the only blue collar guy out there that could help, two steady non flashy guys could solidify the D, and give better options that Gio, Brodie both of which shouldn’t be playing on the D next year……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad