Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Is that it?
Its a lot but its what it would cost…

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
Hanifin Lily
Benoit McCabe

That is a solid lineup. Definitely should compete with everyone else in playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its a lot but its what it would cost…

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
Hanifin Lily
Benoit McCabe

That is a solid lineup. Definitely should compete with everyone else in playoffs.
We won't have the cap space to extend both of them.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Too soft. Gonna get rag dolled in the playoffs. Panthers gonna have a field day
Good point. That has me wondering....what is the toughest line we could assemble that could also reasonably play hockey on the 3rd line?

Perhaps:
Bertuzzi - Domi - McMann

Reactions: Sizzle

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I know we're all rightfully gunshy on spending a 1st on a 34 year old Tanev but damn if that wouldn't look nice right now...

Maybe roll the dice on Gudbranson. I know he's not great, but sometimes it pays to have a psychopath on your team.

If him and Morgan "Stick Infraction" Rielly form a pair, the league might have to mandate full cages for forwards...

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I know we're all rightfully gunshy on spending a 1st on a 34 year old Tanev but damn if that wouldn't look nice right now...

Maybe roll the dice on Gudbranson. I know he's not great, but sometimes it pays to have a psychopath on your team.

If him and Morgan "Stick Infraction" Rielly form a pair, the league might have to mandate full cages for forwards...
I love the psychopaths but I do think we'd need substantial retention on Gudbransons contract to even consider him

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brain storming on cap saving options.

Do you think Giordano would do the Spezza for us? Allow us to waive him and state if anyone claims, he'll retire?

With his dad's death, maybe some time away and a "call up" for the playoffs? He can still practice with the team when he wants.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok
Trenin Kampf Bailey

4th line needs some jam, Trenin from Nashville and Bailey from San Jose

Holmberg 13th forward, Robertson traded for D help
Use our mid level prospects like Steeves, Abruzzese, Hirvonen for Trenin and Bailey, Robertson + Niemala and whatever for a true top 2-3 defender and I like this team alot more.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

1st + meh prospect for Tanev + 2nd

Flames can say they got a 1st while we only drop like 20 spots in the draft and have been finding good value in the 2nd round whenever we pick there.

Gets Rielly a great partner for him. Tanev is amazing defensively but can also move the puck enough to not be a liability in that area. Hometown guy might re-sign fairly cheaply if he likes the fit as well.

Reactions: Kurtz

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Unless the Leafs really shyt the bed from now until March 5, pressure will be on TRE to upgrade defense and likely get another goalie. Wolf being out this long at his age tells me they cannot count on him. You need another goalie there.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Brain storming on cap saving options.

Do you think Giordano would do the Spezza for us? Allow us to waive him and state if anyone claims, he'll retire?

With his dad's death, maybe some time away and a "call up" for the playoffs? He can still practice with the team when he wants.
Samsonov and Timmins are the obvious ones to open up space. They're not going to carry 3 goalies when Woll returns, and Timmins is nearly double the cap hit of the other 5th and 6th D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Samsonov and Timmins are the obvious ones to open up space. They're not going to carry 3 goalies when Woll returns, and Timmins is nearly double the cap hit of the other 5th and 6th D.

Timmins is someone I would be okay with trading for sure - even a 7th is better than nothing.

I would be surprised if they let Samsonov go just because Woll's health seems to be so sensitive.

Maybe we could fill in the 4th round hole next year by dealing Jones to the Avalanche?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Timmins is someone I would be okay with trading for sure - even a 7th is better than nothing.

I would be surprised if they let Samsonov go just because Woll's health seems to be so sensitive.

Maybe we could fill in the 4th round hole next year by dealing Jones to the Avalanche?
But who are you more comfortable with, Jones or Samsonov?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Exactly correct
What are these guys going to do when Bennett cousins or lomberg cheap shots them
We need someone who is going to come right back at them
Yeah I dont forsee both Robertson and Holmberg being in the playoff lineup. I expect Trelving to add forward depth too. Someone gritty.

Thats why we're projected to have interest in Luke Kunin.

Good point. That has me wondering....what is the toughest line we could assemble that could also reasonably play hockey on the 3rd line?

Perhaps:
Bertuzzi - Domi - McMann
I dont think overloading all our gritty guys on 1 line is ideal. Spreading them around the lineup adds to being a tough team from top to bottom.

Reactions: Fogelhund

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'm a big draft / development guy as well, but you can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. When legitimate assets (especially those that fit the prime years of the rest of the core become available and would instantly upgrade a notable weakness on the team, I'm more than fine moving picks and prospects for them.

What I don't want to see is continued overpayment for expiring contracts, that screw over organizational depth and development. Especially in years when it's obvious that the Leafs aren't among the top 4-5 Cup contenders.

In short, if a 27 year old, just coming into his his prime, Noah Hanifin becomes available, I'm more than fine moving multiple top tier assets for him, even if it costs 7.5-8.0 million to extend him... But HARD NO to paying insane prices for the washed up Nick Foligno's of the world.

To Calgary
1st round pick
3rd round pick
Nick Robertson or Fraser Minten
Ronnie Hirvonen or Topi Niemela

If the package looks something like that, I can handle it, but only because of specific player we're talking about and only if he's coming with a 5+ year extension.
I hear you. I guess one argument is see where parity gets you in a short series with smaller adds, seeing how the window isn’t slamming shut anytime soon.
Like I say a bit later, the price on Hanifin would definitely make me gulp, both in terms of asset and cap cost. Both would really sting, but I can see the fit and argument for augmenting the team with the best talent possible.
I’m more inclined to mine for undervalued players at discounts and use free agency later. One is someone like Pat Peeke who’s profile seems smart beside Mo and having lots more assets for later.
The bidding war at the deadline puts the team in a less favourable position, especially since you still have to move money out.
In the end, I support the team even if there’s moves I don’t think are optimal

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I think I agree with all of this. I like Hanifin in our top four, but as a UFA and not an acquisition that costs us assets as well.

I am waking up to Dumba...not because he is great, or perfect but I think he would cost us less than Tanev (who would be better). This is not the year to be moving Cowan, Minten, Grebonkin, Tverberg, Robertson, Knies Holmberg, Niemela, or Hildeby. We finally have some young players that can contribute on ELCs...not all of them...but a few should help out. I wouldn't move Liljegren or Woll either. I would move our first for a youngish player with term only.

Rielly Dumba
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Gio Lagesson

I think that's way to go (or some other RD that won't cost us much...Lyubushkin is another example.

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
Gregor
Reaves

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

That's the play for this TDL in my opinion. We could resign Dumba, Domi and add a $7M dman to this mix next year. Our incoming depth on ELC might allow us to move on from Kampf too. We hope one of our kids can fill the Bertuzzi hole...Minten on the 3rd line and Robertson on the Domi line? Maybe sign Tsyplakov and give the kids another year to bake? I think we have to approach this deadline with the next couple of years in mind.

I tried to find the article but I can't, sorry. I seen an article in the summer before Dumba signed with Arizona and it went over just how bad he's been. He was one of those cases where the eye-test stats and the advanced stats lined up to say he is simply horrible for awhile now. He's been trending downwards for a few years now and it's only getting worse.

I like the idea of targeting someone who is cheaper to acquire but I don't think Dumba is the guy.

I'll keep looking for the article.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The only players I really want are Markstrom or Saros. One of them will definitely move the needle in a big way. Tanev does nothing. The goal is at least 2 rounds. Otherwise, just save the premium assets.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I tried to find the article but I can't, sorry. I seen an article in the summer before Dumba signed with Arizona and it went over just how bad he's been. He was one of those cases where the eye-test stats and the advanced stats lined up to say he is simply horrible for awhile now. He's been trending downwards for a few years now and it's only getting worse.

I like the idea of targeting someone who is cheaper to acquire but I don't think Dumba is the guy.

I'll keep looking for the article.
I don't know if Dumba is the guy either. My post sort of suggested that I might be coming around on him. My understanding is that he is having a decent year. I am not seeing him as a top four for us, even if he is Rielly's partner, sort of like Lyubushkin or even Schenn. I read one article that said Dumba is having a decent year. I am not sure if that is the case.

Reactions: Jmo89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad